New to the family. Some help needed

dddyfz2704

Hey everyone. I just received my XR500 today and I have some questions about it. Mainly about geo filtering and auto ping. First I’m soley gaming on my pc and when I went through the setup process and tried a few different games such as battlefield 5 fortnite and destiny none of the servers would show under my geofilter which is in spectating mode by default. I had to change my device to a console and then servers and players started to show. Why is this? Also when connecting to a crucible game in destiny the auto ping host box would show the connection for a little bit then go off then on and off rinse and repeat. Then once in game it just wouldn’t show anything. Any idea as to why? Ping was good when it would show though. Also when I had my device listed as a pc, the auto ping would never work. Any help is appreciated. 

Geo filter will not work for games such as fortnite. and battlefield as these games allow you to set which server you wish to game on which is basically what the geo filtering would do. Netduma are aware of the issue where a pc has to be set to console in order to see activity in the geo filter map.

I have never played destiny but from what I hear it is p2p only so therefore will not be supported in the geo filter but if it does have server lists built into the game then the above comment is applicable. 

As long as it’s set up as a console it works great for destiny. But when I do connect to a server or player that’s when the auto ping goes crazy. Shows for about 5 seconds then goes blank for a little while then back on and off. Anyone ever experience this? Also thinking about turning off auto ping and do it manually so I can make sure to allow or deny certain ones. 

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, dddyfz2704 said:

As long as it’s set up as a console it works great for destiny. But when I do connect to a server or player that’s when the auto ping goes crazy. Shows for about 5 seconds then goes blank for a little while then back on and off. Anyone ever experience this? Also thinking about turning off auto ping and do it manually so I can make sure to allow or deny certain ones. 

Hi there and welcome to the Duma Army!

To answer your questions:

Fornite - the recent Fortnite update unfortunately has stopped our PC classification from working. We will fix this, but for now, as you found out, the fix is to set it as a console device type. I'll post the steps below in case anyone else finds this thread:

1. Delete the device from the Geo-filter
2. Go to the Device Manager
3. Click on your PC
4. Change the PC device type to a PS4 device type
5. Save your changes
6 Go back to the Geo-Filter and re-add your PC at the top

Destiny - almost all online games have a single host. Usually this is a dedicated server, but sometimes it's a player. Auto Ping Host with automatically ping this single host as it is designed to ping the connection that is sending and receiving the most traffic i.e. the host.

However, Destiny has an unusual system where everyone connects to everyone in the game. So everyone is effectively the host. This confuses Auto Ping, because whoever is sending and receiving the most will constantly change. So in this case, I would recommend disabling auto ping host and just clicking on the most distant payer from you on the map as that will be the absolute maximum ping you'll get. 

Thank you for the response. Is there any link that deals with setting up obs if your using a XR500? Specially pertaining to the question of bit rate since I’m using the anti buffer bloat set at 70%. I’m assuming I need to load in a game then simultaneously running the twitch bandwidth test tool in order to obtain the most accurate numbers to put in obs? Anyone have an XR500 that streams with obs?

• Administrators

I wouldn't overcomplicate it. Do a speedtest when Anti-Bufferbloat is enabled then use those bandwidth speeds to orientate the quality of your OBS.