Device Manager NOT Working

I've been adding a bunch of smart home devices (3 amazon echos, 4 plugs, 4 bulbs) the last few days and I've noticed they will show up in device manager, but stay permanently in the offline breakout section, even though they are clearly connected. The fix for me is reboot, and then they all act as they should, but any new added devices for the first time all seem to do this until a reboot, then they're fine. Just an annoying bug but FYI.

• Administrators

That's really odd. I believe those devices all operate on some sort of standby mode is that correct? Do they initially show up as online and then the next time you take a look i.e. after some time has passed where the devices will have gone into standby they appear offline?

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's really odd. I believe those devices all operate on some sort of standby mode is that correct? Do they initially show up as online and then the next time you take a look i.e. after some time has passed where the devices will have gone into standby they appear offline?

They appear offline. 

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

They've been added for a few days now they never moved, even when switching them using them, they remained offline. After a reboot, they are all online and stay there. Either way, something is odd with device manager for me but not a deal breaker.

Guest Killhippie

My devices most show as they should. My Android TV shows offline and online when it sleeps and looks for updates, also being OLED it does a screen refresh after 4 hours standby and you can see in the logs when it woke up. My Wireless speaker show online even in standby mode as does my soundbar but I believe they keep a internet connection live at all times. The last firmware they were showing offline when in standby, my printer shows online, even in standby so maybe this firmware is actually showing the connection status as it should be? On the previous firmware my Sky Box showed offline now and then but its always connected and downloading and uploading in the background, and stays as connected in this firmware. However my 4K Blu-ray player shows as off as it does not keep an internet connection live when in its off state.

My PS4 shows online in standby mode as its connected as it keeps its internet connection when in standby. No devices vanishes from the tree view though and my iMac on Lan shows just fine. (getting new switch this week so PS4 will be back to wired Lan) Maybe standby on some devices is not as offline as it appears to be solely due to if it keeps a internet connection live in the background, and that's what's being picked up?

My TV shuts its Wi-Fi down in sleep, hence it being offline sometimes as I mentioned, the wireless speaker (Zeppelin Wireless) keeps its Wi-Fi active waiting for my iPad or iPhone or iMac to connect. Also my iPad and iPhone go offline and online as they wake and sleep because Wi-Fi goes into sleep mode when not in use and then now and then wakes up to talk to Apple and check for updates to apps etc, so maybe its more device specific than router based as I mentioned?

Edit* most of my devices use wifi for its convenience, the smart TV etc work fine over 5ghz. Only my iMac and PS4 are hard wired and my PS4 is using Wi-Fi right now (5Ghz as its a PS4 pro and has 802ac) until my new switch can be wired in at the weekend by my friend. Its not something I can do in a wheelchair as cabling runs though the loft etc, which is frustrating. 

Guest Killhippie
34 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Thanks for that update Killhippie - any information like this helps when we're investigating something like this :)

Just trying to make sense and off any help, apart from the oddity in table view, and the fact that the Ookla Speedtest app seems to be th culprit for my "When high priority traffic detected" getting locked on as for some reason DumaOS saw it on my iPad as VPN traffic! I had to reboot the ipad, and remove the app, it seem when gaming and testing speeds it causes this odd issue. (over Wi-Fi due to switch failure) Thats the only thing I can see, as maybe VPN traffic gets prioritised? Or it causes a bug when you use it and high priority traffic is on.As to the tree view all appears to be as it should, If I turn a device off that's always on like my printer it will eventually go into off mode. Odd how some have more issues than others, or its the heady mixture of devices and setup. I have noticed devices that give the router a device name via ARP request seem to switch modes faster than ones than that don't hand out a device name to the router, which then have been given device names manually. Also this firmware seems very touchy and freaks out labelling  [DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from devices on the LAN when they are plainly not doing that at all.

• 1 month later...

Hi I’m having issues with my phone app showing my devices. I had 12 devices on the network with my xr500 and none of which are showing on my app. Anyone else have this issue and if so how do I fix it. I’ve already reset everything and uninstalled and reinstalled the app with no such luck

Also my device manager on netduma is showing devices that are not on my networks and I try to delete them and it says they can’t be deleted because they are online has anyone had this issue. Any fixes?

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, Dereck said:

Hi I’m having issues with my phone app showing my devices. I had 12 devices on the network with my xr500 and none of which are showing on my app. Anyone else have this issue and if so how do I fix it. I’ve already reset everything and uninstalled and reinstalled the app with no such luck

Also my device manager on netduma is showing devices that are not on my networks and I try to delete them and it says they can’t be deleted because they are online has anyone had this issue. Any fixes?

Is this on the Netgear app? 

What devices are being shown? What are they named as? If they're online they can't be deleted so that's expected behaviour. If you don't know what they are the easiest way to do it would be a reboot and then you should be able to delete them if they don't reconnect.

I’ve rebooted and they just keep saying they are connected and I’ve gone through all devices but still no luck and the app is the netgear app set up for my xr500. I have the new xr700 being delivered today so I’ll be setting it up today but all the devices that I can’t remove are using bandwidth and I’m afraid to adjust them to zero and have it mess up the connection between my gaming consoles. I also only have one Xbox one and a Xboxones and an Xboxonex and it’s been popping up that 5 Xbox’s are all on the network 

• Administrators

If they're using bandwidth then they must be on your network. If you connect devices via wifi and ethernet then they will show up as separate devices so that may be the cause. You could block the unknown devices in device manager to prevent them accessing the internet and see if that affects any of your devices. If it doesn't and you've checked every device then I would highly recommend changing your wifi password incase someone in your vicinity has managed to connect.

Ok now I understand the extra devices as I have used the Xbox’s on WiFi and Ethernet as well as TVs so thank you for that clearup. Also tonight I set up the xr700 and I also have ex8000 range extender and on the netduma app the devices running WiFi say they are running 9% with 14mbps due to the extra devices showing from the WiFi/Ethernet issue. Is there anyway to reset everything to where I can set them up to Ethernet or WiFi so I’m not dedicating bw to those devices that aren’t on WiFi?

now also on the app on my iPhone when I first got the xr500 set up I was able to see all devices connected to the network and now no matter what I do I can’t get it to show me what is connected. Any thoughts on that?

• Administrators

Hi Dereck,

On the 9% question - are you referring to the Bandwidth Allocation? If so, don't worry too much about this, any unused bandwidth is automatically given to any device that needs it. So all you're doing is saying 'this device will get at least 9% bandwidth when it needs it, but when it does not, any other device can have it'.

This means your bandwidth is shared optimally. If you click the '?' icon in the corner of the Bandwidth Allocation panel, you will be able to learn more about it.

DumaOS is currently not optimised for phone (we are working on a phone app right now). So please use a laptop, PC or tablet to access  the interface. This should then show you all of the connected devices etc.

• 2 months later...
On 1/8/2019 at 1:33 PM, xr500user said:

i'm sure if you click on the xboxone icon it will show it has an ip address if its connected wifi but not showing

theres some bugs in the device manager

yes wifi should have its own mac, yes ethernet card should have its own mac

but if device does use the same mac for both - device manager isn't working right

i posted many scenarios i'm sure they are testing to figure out a fix

happens especially with APs with ethernet backhaul (since you connect to the AP wirelessly, but AP is connected to LAN ethernet)

if device connects to wifi 1st, it shows, if device then connects to AP (which is wifi, but connected to LAN) device does not shift to LAN or may drop offline and report as offline even tho it has an ip when clicked on

if device connects to AP 1st, it shows on LAN, but if device shifts to router wifi, or another AP's wifi, it will stay stuck ONLINE on lan tree, even when offline

hell breaks loose with QOS..

they will figure it out.

quick way to get it back online, turn xbox off, once ip disappears (wait a little bit), then you'll be able to delete the device, turn xbox on, it will come on wifi side.

not a fix, but will work.   will go back to funky state again eventually

you just saved me a couple paragraphs.. this is exactly what i noticed.. i took out the AP and noticed everything works fine.. once i hook up the AP and anything that is plugged into the ap via wired or wireless does not show up.. for some reason my xbox does. but not my laptop or iphone. via ap .. really hoping this can be fixed soon

On 1/8/2019 at 1:33 PM, xr500user said:

• Administrators
10 hours ago, jacegibson said:

you just saved me a couple paragraphs.. this is exactly what i noticed.. i took out the AP and noticed everything works fine.. once i hook up the AP and anything that is plugged into the ap via wired or wireless does not show up.. for some reason my xbox does. but not my laptop or iphone. via ap .. really hoping this can be fixed soon

What version of the firmware are you on, do your devices share the exact same MAC address when wired vs wireless as they shouldn't, MAC is usually unique unless changed

On 5/11/2019 at 7:34 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

What version of the firmware are you on, do your devices share the exact same MAC address when wired vs wireless as they shouldn't, MAC is usually unique unless changed

fw is 

XR700 V1.0.1.10

also im still connected wireless, but when im connected wirelessly to the AP it shows offline, when im plugged in hard wired to the AP or switch it shows im online.  only wireless to AP it shows devices offline.  if i connect again wireless directly to xr700 it goes back online.  and yes wired and wireless shows 2 different mac.  but my issue is just connecting wireless to AP.  and its done this with 3 different ap's