Cant get QOS to work while playing Xbox One

Hi @Netduma Fraser

I would first like to say thank you for sticking with me, I got there in the end.

I have a final few questions if I may?

1, Going forward, all devices in the home connect to the XR500 wifi and ethernet ports?

2, I can disable the wifi on the R7000?

Thank you again, Now I know it works I will tinker with the QOS :)

Alex.

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, alex..devine said:

@Netduma Fraser I am back! After adding all devices I am still getting lag in BF5.

No matter what I change I get lag in the game, I no longer know what to do :(

Anything else your wizard ways knows to help?

Alex. 

I think it's probably time to download Pingplotter and check out your line quality. If you've got lag constantly no matter what you play, it's probably spikes / a bad line to your house. Find that out, and you'll likely find the source of your lag!

20 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

I think it's probably time to download Pingplotter and check out your line quality. If you've got lag constantly no matter what you play, it's probably spikes / a bad line to your house. Find that out, and you'll likely find the source of your lag!

Hi Jack.

Thank you for your input but unfortunately, that is not the case with my line. When the heavy usage devices are off and not streaming it plays perfectly smooth, I really can feel the difference.

There is something the router is not doing to make sure the two Xbox's take prio over the other devices.

Regards,

Alex.

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, alex..devine said:

It was later at night so there was no streaming going on.

There was one Xbox active and two mobile phones not streaming or any intense usage.

I am not sure if that helps?

Alex.

It's all helpful stuff - do you know if the Xbox was doing anything in the background that could be using lots of data? It's possible that something is being prioritised that shouldn't be, which is dragging down your connection. Usually it's only low-latency stuff that gets priority.

Hi @Netduma Fraser

On Xbox:

Download - highs 0.9 lows 0.2-0.3

Upload hights 0.5 lows 0.1

It seems the router is not sorting out the high usage devices and that is causing the lag. I think the router or the OS cannot deal with many devices!

I take it does not matter we have two Xbox's running within the home?

• Netduma Staff
17 hours ago, alex..devine said:

Hi @Netduma Fraser

On Xbox:

Download - highs 0.9 lows 0.2-0.3

Upload hights 0.5 lows 0.1

It seems the router is not sorting out the high usage devices and that is causing the lag. I think the router or the OS cannot deal with many devices!

I take it does not matter we have two Xbox's running within the home?

It can deal with multiple devices extremely well, that's what QoS was designed to do. Have you tried altering Anti-Bufferbloat? That's probably the best tool to solve this problem with. If you're using heavy-usage devices while you're gaming you'll want to use Anti-Bufferbloat to reduce congestion. I think we're going down a rabbit hole when that could be the solution :)

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, alex..devine said:

Hi @Netduma Jack

When you say reduce congestion, can you offer any more help? does that mean reduce the sliders down in MB?, the more you go down the better?

Your not very clear when you give an answer as to what I should do!

Alex.

Ah sorry Alex, I'll be more explicit! Generally people try reducing the sliders until they see results closer to what they'd like. Since it sounds like you're using lots of bandwidth with your stream, which is affecting your gameplay, you should try reducing the Anti-Bufferbloat sliders quite low (try like 30/30 or so) until you find a setting you're happy with. If you feel like you're throttling too much and don't have enough bandwidth to spare for your stream, dial the sliders up further.

The objective is to prevent high-usage devices from increasing your latency, which Anti-Bufferbloat is able to do very well.