QoS Seemingly not working Properly

ubaau

Hi, 

Before I upgraded to DumaOS, I used to play games (Fifa, CoD) and usually have a stream or two open without any affect upon my gaming experience.

Since upgrading, even a single twitch stream will make me go down to a Red Bar connection on Fifa. If I lower the quality from 1080p to say 160p on the stream then it seems to sort it, but obviously that makes the content unwatchable. Seems strange that it worked perfectly before - with lots of devices as well as a couple of streams open. 

I have tried many QoS settings - from the recommended 70% down to 50%. Dragging the xbox distribution up to 80%. Tried both when high traffic detected as well as always. I have also removed all devices from geo-filter and factory reset in an attempt to fix. 

Thought it could have been my internet not giving me the correct speed. So contacted them earlier after doing a speedtest and I was getting a slower (but still 30mb) download. They said they would fix - and got back tonight and was back up to my usual 60/70. Thought that would solve my problems with the QoS however after trying everything above, still no luck. 

Not really sure what else to try - or whether it is a known issue. 

Cheers

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I'd first recommend going through the optimal settings guides here: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646 and once that's done you shouldn't have any issues. What is your physical setup? All devices will need to be connected behind the router in order for QoS to properly affect them.

Hi there. 

Have set everything up in accordance to the optimal settings, yet still having issues. Physical setup is mainline into a BT Homehub. R1 into the hub through lan (also put into DMZ for NAT purposes) Then all devices connected to R1. All gaming devices through Ethernet (PC, Xbox, PS4) and the rest (mobiles, alexa etc) through wifi. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, ubaau said:

Hi there. 

Have set everything up in accordance to the optimal settings, yet still having issues. Physical setup is mainline into a BT Homehub. R1 into the hub through lan (also put into DMZ for NAT purposes) Then all devices connected to R1. All gaming devices through Ethernet (PC, Xbox, PS4) and the rest (mobiles, alexa etc) through wifi. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Welcome to the forum. What streaming site / software are you using? It could be something directly related to that, since I haven't seen this issue crop up before. If this was an issue with DumaOS as a whole, we very likely would already know about it. Seems to be specifically related to your case and your network.

Could you run us through which device you use to stream (as well as the question above), then try disabling QoS entirely and see if that gets rid of the problem. That should narrow it down a bit.

29 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Welcome to the forum. What streaming site / software are you using? It could be something directly related to that, since I haven't seen this issue crop up before. If this was an issue with DumaOS as a whole, we very likely would already know about it. Seems to be specifically related to your case and your network.

Could you run us through which device you use to stream (as well as the question above), then try disabling QoS entirely and see if that gets rid of the problem. That should narrow it down a bit.

I used to use both Twitch and Youtube to watch Streams. Mainly twitch though. Have tested using both and running streams at full 1080p will cause the issues. Normally I am watching streams on my PC, while playing either xbox or ps4. Mainly testing through the xbox at the moment. I did the speedtest test and the QoS was indeed limiting the bandwidth to the PC - however I was still getting the issues in game, which seemed strange. 

Disabling the QoS did not affect the issue. 

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you provide a screenshot of your QoS page please with the options menus open also and we can best advise from there.

I have since been testing - and have had to set anti bufferbloat all the way down to 30% to stop it lagging. Any idea what this would say about my setup/connection? And why this would happen post upgrading to DumaOS rather than the old software? 

Would you still need to see the screens? 

• Administrators

That could just be due to your connection as every one is different, thats why we recommend people experiment as our 70% is a good starting point but doesn't work for all. However it could also be that you've over estimated the download speeds your ISP gives you and therefore you had to lower it substantially to throttle it. No particular reason that I can think of at the moment, yes please just so I can double check it all

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That could just be due to your connection as every one is different, thats why we recommend people experiment as our 70% is a good starting point but doesn't work for all. However it could also be that you've over estimated the download speeds your ISP gives you and therefore you had to lower it substantially to throttle it. No particular reason that I can think of at the moment, yes please just so I can double check it all

With Bufferbloat disabled I do seem to speedtest at the 50mb download that I entered so not sure on the speed from the ISP. I guess 30% might just work for me - but should I really need to throttle that much considering the xbox needs/uses such little bandwidth? 

Screens below! Thanks. 

image.thumb.png.4fb5d5275048f386a4aa7723db43d0ce.png

image.thumb.png.ba57708aca97d02c228a5db509fc2f31.png

• Administrators

Your settings look great, other than I agree, 30% is a significant cut. Your overall speeds of 50/15 are fine, so I would think anywhere between 50%-80% would do the job.

Perhaps try a higher % and hopefully your congestion issues do not appear.

Also do make sure you have the best Geo-Filter settings as well: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-filter