QOS settings on XR500 will cause CM1000 to reboot

I noticed that my cm1000 modem would reboot occasionally, but only when playstation is in use so I then decided to disable anti-bufferbloat along with disable qos and the issue of the modem rebooting went away.

• Netduma Staff
40 minutes ago, Merraki said:

I noticed that my cm1000 modem would reboot occasionally, but only when playstation is in use so I then decided to disable anti-bufferbloat along with disable qos and the issue of the modem rebooting went away.

Hi Merraki, welcome to the forum! This seems like a leap, I'm not sure why QoS would be remotely related to your modem rebooting. Your modem is upstream, meaning QoS doesn't actually affect it in any way - the XR500 QoS just handles traffic coming from the Modem.

This will 99% be a coincidence since it's physically impossible for your router QoS settings to affect your modem in such a dramatic way. Still, if you enable QoS again does the rebooting happen again? How often did your modem reboot before?

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, Merraki said:

Never mine reboots are still occurring even after changes XR500 is definitely the issue though I just can't seem to find what isn't playing nice with my modem.

So with the XR500 disconnected the reboots stop? How do you know it's rebooting? Is it just disconnecting from the Internet or something similar? 

Guest Killhippie

Never mine reboots are still occurring even after changes XR500 is definitely the issue though I just can't seem to find what isn't playing nice with my modem.

All the modem does is talk to the XR500, saying the XR500 is causing modem reboots is very odd. Can you connect the modem straight to the PC and see how it behaves? What you are saying is a bit like a your friends' car that follows you to work each day stops working because you bought a new car. The interaction does not make sense, the thing that would be rebooting if anything would be the XR500 as its processing everything.The modem is a dumb device in most cases. Explaining further would help, and why are you so sure its the XR500 causing it? (never say never but its an odd one) Is the modem literally rebooting, lights off and back on or are just you dropping connection at the modem, and once again how do you know this? Also does the router logs list "internet down" at all? and "back up" or "reconnected" inline with these 'reboots' It may be a coincidence that the modem is failing, but that may not be anything to do with the XR500,  it may not be a reboot at all. More info would really help. :)

it could be a bad cm1000 modem if your 100% sure its rebooting , you see the lights go out and the bootup process start on it? uptime is reset?

cm1000 also running linux so if it has a kernel panic it can reboot -- you can try factory resetting the cm1000, make sure latest firmware, and if it has qos on cm100 you can disable it on there too on its admin page

if it gets into a situation it doesn't know how to handle yes it can panic and reboot.. but it could have a corrupted file system, bad port, no idea until you troubleshoot it, too many factors

Yes the modem reboots, but the modem works just fine with an r6900v2 router so I know there something conflicting between the two. I’ve factory reset both and nothing seems to permanently fix the issue.

• Administrators

I'd look at the logs on the modem and see what happens when it reboots. That should then give you an idea of what is happening, if you paste it here we can try to determine the cause also. I can't see that the router would cause it to reboot at all

Guest Killhippie

XR500 logs show a dhcp lease change every so often

Can you copy the logs for when the modem goes down? That should say loss of internet or internet down, something like that, please. You can scroll back so should be able to capture the correct logs. Also have you tried  resetting your Modem? If not leave it could you try that, leave the modem for about 2 minutes after the reset before connecting the router its its powered down state, then power it up. (Still logs are what's needed first before you try that)  I suppose if the XR500 has a bad WAN port that could take the modem down, how new is the XR500? I would also try a different cable if you can, but if this continues and there are no logs showing loss of internet in the XR500 its possible it has a bad WAN port which has been known to bring a modem down, I hunted around on the web found a few situations where this has occurred.

• Netduma Staff
4 hours ago, Merraki said:

XR500 logs show a dhcp lease change every so often

Yeh as Killhippie suggested, a screenshot or copy + paste of those logs would be awesome since it can provide us with tonnes of data to go by. We could then double check it with our development team in case anything weird is going on!