XR500 latest firmware broke the GEO filter.

It was working well prior to the latest firmware. Yeah I didn't have ping assist and I would still get the occasional lagger or two in Destiny2, but now it's completely broken. I set ping assist to zero, flushed the cloud, removed and added the device, set strict mode to "ON" and it continues to match me up with individuals with high ping way outside of the allowed radius. Not good.

Guest Killhippie
7 hours ago, fourg63 said:

It was working well prior to the latest firmware. Yeah I didn't have ping assist and I would still get the occasional lagger or two in Destiny2, but now it's completely broken. I set ping assist to zero, flushed the cloud, removed and added the device, set strict mode to "ON" and it continues to match me up with individuals with high ping way outside of the allowed radius. Not good.

Have you tried a factory reset, also Destiny should be not set to strict from what i remember. P2P games are a pain and Destiny is one of the worse networking wise. Saying that it seems to be working for me.

• Administrators

Thanks guys. The "uncaught unmatched device" error can occasionally happen after an upgrade - the device you have added at the top of the Geo-Filter effectively no longer exists in that exact state which can confuse the router. So best to delete it from the top and then re-add your device again. A factory reset achieves the same outcome.

Glad you got it sorted and thanks to KillHippie for the recommendation.

On 12/31/2018 at 5:12 AM, Killhippie said:

Have you tried a factory reset, also Destiny should be not set to strict from what i remember. P2P games are a pain and Destiny is one of the worse networking wise. Saying that it seems to be working for me.

So true. In strict mode you will be disconnected out of games etc.  I play Destiny2 on Xbox and have tried just about everything this router has to offer to make Destiny2 PVP experience better.  Remember the P2P experience that Destiny netcode gives us is frustrating at best and the DumaOS does a good job of helping us.  I have been back and fourth with using ping assist and geo-filtering I really like to have both options.  I am doing a bunch of competitive PVP right now and the geo-filter has been rock solid for me to help weed out the sweaty players and 4 stacks :)

On 1/2/2019 at 3:19 PM, Bmann said:

So true. In strict mode you will be disconnected out of games etc.  I play Destiny2 on Xbox and have tried just about everything this router has to offer to make Destiny2 PVP experience better.  Remember the P2P experience that Destiny netcode gives us is frustrating at best and the DumaOS does a good job of helping us.  I have been back and fourth with using ping assist and geo-filtering I really like to have both options.  I am doing a bunch of competitive PVP right now and the geo-filter has been rock solid for me to help weed out the sweaty players and 4 stacks :)

Hi! I'm planning to get my xr500 myself. What is your experience after ping assist? I play on ps4 in Europe, and 8/10 games feel totally off in crucible.

• Administrators
On 1/6/2019 at 12:18 AM, mullerhun said:

Hi! I'm planning to get my xr500 myself. What is your experience after ping assist? I play on ps4 in Europe, and 8/10 games feel totally off in crucible.

In Destiny you will have users from all over the world in your games. So the ping is probably very high between you all.

Feel free to create a new thread here if you would like to know other people's experience: http://forum.netduma.com/forum/112-community-discussion/

On 12/31/2018 at 2:34 AM, fourg63 said:

• Administrators

You're on Filtering Mode right? If so, could you share a screenshot of your Geo-Filter settings, ideally when you are seeing people outside of your range.

Also try a factory reset if the problem continues as this fixed OPs issues. 

My set-up with Destiny 2 is Filter Mode enabled never go Strict Mode you will get booted all the time and will make playing PVP very unstable.  I use geo filtering with good luck finding local players and dont have too much laggy  games.

So my experience with xr500 and destiny 2 has not been good so far no matter what I tried. See typical scenarios below:

1. Geo-filter on (anywhere between 100-700 miles. I get nearby and blocked players outside of radious in crucibal round. Usually due to groups of people not single players. Not good experience at all.

2. Geo-filter on (0 miles radius) with location set to ocean and ping assist on for anywhere between 30 - 50 ms. Most people with ping higher those numbers denied but somehow there are always few players far away from my actually location with pings around 100 ms which are allowed by router. I checked and they not dedicated servers, just regular players with high ping somehow allowed by ping assist (dotted line around person symbol).

3. Only Geo filter on in the ocean and ping assist off will block all players (as intended) but of course you can't get in to crucible round. Changing ping assist from 0 to just 1 ms (as a test) leads to accepting connection of few random players and puts me in the game. Not good.

Sorry for long post but in summary, since I only play destiny 2, my overall pvp experience is geo-filter does not work as intended and ping assist does not work as intended.

PS: I also experience issues like some others when xr500 shows my devices offline when they are on and only factory reset solves it temporarilly.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:18 AM, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks guys. The "uncaught unmatched device" error can occasionally happen after an upgrade - the device you have added at the top of the Geo-Filter effectively no longer exists in that exact state which can confuse the router. So best to delete it from the top and then re-add your device again. A factory reset achieves the same outcome.

Glad you got it sorted and thanks to KillHippie for the recommendation.

I can't delete the "unmatched device" because the field doesn't load 

Screen_Shot_2019-01-11_at_12_42.56_PM.png

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Antoxa said:

So my experience with xr500 and destiny 2 has not been good so far no matter what I tried. See typical scenarios below:

1. Geo-filter on (anywhere between 100-700 miles. I get nearby and blocked players outside of radious in crucibal round. Usually due to groups of people not single players. Not good experience at all.

2. Geo-filter on (0 miles radius) with location set to ocean and ping assist on for anywhere between 30 - 50 ms. Most people with ping higher those numbers denied but somehow there are always few players far away from my actually location with pings around 100 ms which are allowed by router. I checked and they not dedicated servers, just regular players with high ping somehow allowed by ping assist (dotted line around person symbol).

3. Only Geo filter on in the ocean and ping assist off will block all players (as intended) but of course you can't get in to crucible round. Changing ping assist from 0 to just 1 ms (as a test) leads to accepting connection of few random players and puts me in the game. Not good.

Sorry for long post but in summary, since I only play destiny 2, my overall pvp experience is geo-filter does not work as intended and ping assist does not work as intended.

PS: I also experience issues like some others when xr500 shows my devices offline when they are on and only factory reset solves it temporarilly.

I wouldn't expect Ping Assist to work that well with a P2P game like Destiny so I would stick with using the usual radius. Where are you located and where is your Geo-Filter location/radius? Is it covering mostly land or have you got a substantial amount of the ocean within it?

33 minutes ago, phil_wo said:

I can't delete the "unmatched device" because the field doesn't load 

Screen_Shot_2019-01-11_at_12_42.56_PM.png

In that case you'll need to do a factory reset so you can add the device back.

I'm on West coast of the US. Playing on high-speed cable connection with PS4 wired to xr500. I put my location in geo-filter so that I barely get Pacific ocean and bubble is mostly inland US. Using just geo-filtering was my initial approach but I would still get laggy players. To be honest a lot of US players do not have good connection even nowdays so even with much smaller than recommended for destiny radius I would get a few people with pings close to or over 100ms. Another reason why I was initially excited about return of ping assist is potentially weeding out high pingers.

Don't get me wrong, dumaos idea and most part of execution is brilliant but I guess it's the nature of the beast - destiny's hybrid network model combined with poor SBMM that cannot be overcome 100% even by duma's engine. In my experience getting even only one peer connection will result in getting into the game because that peer will eventually bring you over into the rest of matchmaking pool. Another observation is when some players in the round are denied by netduma they are still in the round of crucible with me but our p2p connection is broken and I would not even see them on radar or get hit marks for a while. One thing I learnt about destiny's netcode is it's client athoritative system so if his PS4 thinks I'm dead it will eventually let me know that (usually when I'm way behind cover, around the corner, etc) I'm dead. So I guess I would just suck it up and go back to using my r7000 with ddwrt since qos is better and there are other perks in using it...

Thank you, Frazer, for reading and replying to my post. 👍

• Administrators

If they're that close to you it's unlikely they do have that high a ping. Post a picture of your QoS page and we can help optimise there, it's much better to the alternative to what you mentioned. I would suggest moving your location slightly further away and see if you have better luck there.

My qos is fine, I did plenty of pingplotter and other analisys. I consistently get A+ on dslreports speed test when I use ddwrt qos with FQ_CODEL and running command

ifconfig eth0 txqueuelen 2

ifconfig eth1 txqueuelen 2

much needed for eleminating buffer bloat (http://www.embracingchaos.com/2011/01/fighting-buffer-bloat-on-dd-wrt.html) Can your firmware do that? Netduma's qos does a good job just not as good IMHO. I only get A or occasional B using netduma.

I do not have high ping to most peers, only few. My main point was that destiny's matchmaking will still connect me to people outside of geo-filter range if they are not solo players and fireteam leader is inside the range it will put me in the game with them.

I was going to return xr500 on my way home from work tonight but if I keep it for an extra day I will post screens or short clips of geo-filter screen next to ps4 matchmaking screen as a proof of what I'm saying. It such a bummer since I got a killer deal of $200 for brand new xr500 at local retail. 

• Administrators

DSLReports is not a good indicator in my opinion, bufferbloat only occurs when your network is saturated and that won't saturate it. I recommend following this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection which involves saturating your network and tweaking anti-bufferbloat until you find the % that keeps your ping as low/steady as possible. 

I would highly recommend keeping it and playing around with your Geo-Filter location to find other players that you may have a lower ping to. Yes please do so.

I did saturate my network by streaming TV and running YouTube at 1080p while running dslreports speed test. I saw your replies regarding that speed test in others posts and am full aware of what you are referring to. I never said I had issues with xr500 qos, did I? I would really appreciate if you address a specific scenario I described above, when you are peered with stack of players with fireteam leader being inside radius when other members are not. Could you please elaborate what is supposed to be happening so that I know that what I'm seeing is right or something is wrong. Thank you beforehand!

PS: most of the time when I play with friends in Europe and they are fireteam leaders we are matched with European players and, to put it gently, I dominate opponents with my 200ms ping to Europe and not using netduma :)

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I wouldn't expect Ping Assist to work that well with a P2P game like Destiny so I would stick with using the usual radius. Where are you located and where is your Geo-Filter location/radius? Is it covering mostly land or have you got a substantial amount of the ocean within it?

In that case you'll need to do a factory reset so you can add the device back.

So I have to redo adding all my friends around the world to the whitelist again?

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Antoxa said:

I did saturate my network by streaming TV and running YouTube at 1080p while running dslreports speed test. I saw your replies regarding that speed test in others posts and am full aware of what you are referring to. I never said I had issues with xr500 qos, did I? I would really appreciate if you address a specific scenario I described above, when you are peered with stack of players with fireteam leader being inside radius when other members are not. Could you please elaborate what is supposed to be happening so that I know that what I'm seeing is right or something is wrong. Thank you beforehand!

PS: most of the time when I play with friends in Europe and they are fireteam leaders we are matched with European players and, to put it gently, I dominate opponents with my 200ms ping to Europe and not using netduma :)

You just mentioned ddwrt was better at eliminating bufferbloat and I'm explaining that it's not. That's expected behaviour due to the P2P/Hybrid system they have. If you can't connect to some players it will establish a connection between you through a server or 1 unifying person. In that case move your location all the way to Europe and force games over there. Make sure to restart the game completely after you've changed your settings though.

37 minutes ago, phil_wo said:

So I have to redo adding all my friends around the world to the whitelist again?

Yes you would need to but just as and when you play with them, would just take a second. Alternatively if you know what the device was and it's exact name you can add it back and rename it the same and that should work.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You just mentioned ddwrt was better at eliminating bufferbloat and I'm explaining that it's not. That's expected behaviour due to the P2P/Hybrid system they have. If you can't connect to some players it will establish a connection between you through a server or 1 unifying person. In that case move your location all the way to Europe and force games over there. Make sure to restart the game completely after you've changed your settings though.

Yes you would need to but just as and when you play with them, would just take a second. Alternatively if you know what the device was and it's exact name you can add it back and rename it the same and that should work.

I gave the device its original name using device manager. Still coming recovering unmatched device in geo filter and QoS. restoring and starting over is not an option. I have a lot of configurations. 

• Administrators

What do you mean by a lot of configurations? Those are the only two options I'm afraid. On the Geo-Filter devices panel right click and inspect element, can you then take a screenshot please of the window that pops up