PS4 not showing as online in device manager

I have been fighting with this the last few days. If I shut the PS down it will not show as active again until I turn it off and delete it completely from the router and reset it up all over again. It's a bit annoying really. Any solutions or advice? All of the screen shots are with the PS4 on with a video playing.

image.thumb.png.07300fd9bc2a4b71ebc1880967c9afbf.pngimage.thumb.png.e3a0daf39eddbcc84090937b020210df.png

image.thumb.png.07c16419995003eb2f79d343a4cc2c8a.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Are you referring to putting it in standby mode? Check the IP it's getting on the console itself and then set that as a reserved IP in LAN setup. Then reboot the router, does it work correctly after that?

• Administrators

Does it appear online when you are playing a game? I'm wondering if it's something specific about the PS4 and non-gaming traffic (it should always show on your Device Manager regardless).

Make sure you 100% confirm it hasn't wirelessly connected to a different router too - you can check this in the PS4's Network Settings.

41 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Does it appear online when you are playing a game? I'm wondering if it's something specific about the PS4 and non-gaming traffic (it should always show on your Device Manager regardless).

Make sure you 100% confirm it hasn't wirelessly connected to a different router too - you can check this in the PS4's Network Settings.

No It still shows offline while playing BO4 and I'm 100% sure it's not connecting to the WiFi. 

16 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Are you referring to putting it in standby mode? Check the IP it's getting on the console itself and then set that as a reserved IP in LAN setup. Then reboot the router, does it work correctly after that?

I went back after you said this and reserved the IP address for the PS4 and rebooted and it showed as online after the reboot. We'll see if it sticks this time, I had the address reserved the first time when it quit showing up.  

I'll keep you updated. 

8 minutes ago, xr500user said:

you managed to trigger the bug somehow :)

whats your network setup like?

Nothing special, I just ran the setup wizard and added the IP reservation for PS4. I have Cox cable with a Netgear CM 600 modem and an XR450 router. 

I rebooted the router again and it showed back up as active.

kungFoo  Im having the exact same issues your having with my xbox.. What im wondering is when I go back online but yet the device manager doesn't show my xbox back online is QoS being applied to my xbox even though it is back online but the device manger says it isnt?? I wouldn't think QoS is being applied while a device is offline.. Does anyone know what might be triggering this so called bug? 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Zippy said:

kungFoo  Im having the exact same issues your having with my xbox.. What im wondering is when I go back online but yet the device manager doesn't show my xbox back online is QoS being applied to my xbox even though it is back online but the device manger says it isnt?? I wouldn't think QoS is being applied while a device is offline.. Does anyone know what might be triggering this so called bug? 

If you go to Traffic Prioritization in QoS the red light will appear when games are detected. Is this appearing on when you’re gaming?

Also - question for both of you - do you see the console in the Network Monitor? Is it just the Device Manager that does not show it?

Thanks for your reply Netduma Admin.  My network traffic prior was showing red but then I noticed it had also quit lighting up! My console at the time this all took place wasn't showing in the Network Monitor also it was saying offline in the Device Manager but yet it was online. During this time I also tried to delete my work laptop from the Device Manager because it was at where I worked and not at home. Which is 12 miles away.. But when I went to try and delete it from the Device Manager it wouldn't let me delete it because it said it was online but yet in the Device Manager it showed offline.. Which it was because it wasn't even in my home.. Another thing I noticed also is that UPnP will show port 3074 active when my xbox isn't even online. At first I thought my xbox must be still making connection.. So I unplugged the network cable and check the next day and sure enough UPnP was still showing it active to my Xbox.. Even after trying to refresh UPnP it always said active.. There is no doubt I have some working gremlins going on with my XR500.. My only course of action was to do a factory/hard reset.. But what I don't understand is what is causing these things to take place.. I will monitor this and see how things go.. But something has to trigger these events to unfold..

• Administrators

Thanks both for the update. Assuming you're on the latest firmware, could you manually downgrade back to the previous firmware and let us know if the issue continues or if it's still there:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#Firmware Version 2.3.2.32

If it's still there, feel free to upgrade back again. We just need to know if this is a very random issue that you both have happened to find at the same time, or if there's something in the latest firmware release.

Thanks.

14 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks both for the update. Assuming you're on the latest firmware, could you manually downgrade back to the previous firmware and let us know if the issue continues or if it's still there:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#Firmware Version 2.3.2.32

If it's still there, feel free to upgrade back again. We just need to know if this is a very random issue that you both have happened to find at the same time, or if there's something in the latest firmware release.

Thanks.

Hello Netduma Admin. I just wanted to give you an update. Currently  I am running on the most current firmware. And this issue is not a random issue just with us both.. As you have probably noticed more and more are starting to post about issues like this. It all starts with things getting mixed up in the Device Manager. Things will show offline when online or the wrong device will be shown for the another device or even a wired device will be represented as being connected to WiFi.. These are not just a cosmetic type issues.. At least not from my experiences.. Once things start to get mixed up the first thing that ive noticed right away is online gaming starts to perform poor.. Even though the performance is subtle it is noticeable.. Someone watching youtube or Netflix likely wouldn't even notice.. Even myself once I first noticed this I really didn't think much of it but then UPnP started to get effected by this as well. It just seems like this was taking on a domino effect. And once I couldn't even delete devices in the device manager that weren't even online I knew it was time for a full factory reset. The minute a full factory reset was done all the devices in the device manager were showing in there correct spots and status. UPnP was back up and working as it should. The most critical thing I noticed right away was how well online gaming performed. And that is key for me.. Basically the router was working as it should..  Since I only rebooted the router late yesterday once I get home tonight I will check and see how its going and report back here if you want.. If you really think I need to down grade back to an earlier firmware then I will.. But please let me enjoy some online gaming first while the router is still working as it should.. That's all I ask.. Thanks Netduma! :)

Zippy.

• Administrators

Hi Zippy - if you downgrade back to the previous firmware, does the issue resolve itself? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

Would be good to know if this is just an issue with the latest firmware. 

(Feel free to upgrade back after trying the older firmware out once you know if it’s better or not)

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you downgrade does it work as expected?

Hey Fraser, Ive been also advised to downgrade to prior software but before I downgrade would looking at my logs help you in anyway to see if something looks out of place in them?

Also second question I have is can I downgrade to the original firmware this router had when I first took it out of the box when new?  My other issue im having is when I do a simple reboot to the router it loses connection during reboot and never reestablishes connection again.. And that shouldn't happen.. When I first bought this new and connected it...it connected right away and could do simple reboots with out issue..