My NAT experience

Fazor

My setup is Arris Surfboard Modem...R1 Duma OS with Wifi turned off...and Nighthawk router in AP mode to handle the wireless. 

I game on Xbox One X wired.  Console always has Open Nat, but in game on BO4 it shows Moderate. 

When I restart my modem and router...that first time I play the in game NAT finally says Open and will stay Open until I am done playing that day.  But then the next time I turn on my Xbox and from then on it will turn back to Moderate in game...until I restart modem and router again.  Again the console NAT is always Open no matter what. 

What do you think would cause this?  I'm not having any real issues...I use Port Forwarding and have UPNP turned on.  Turning UPNP off doesn't make a difference. 

Any thoughts? 

• Administrators

The only other thing it could be is the Geo-Filter causing a fake reading. If you disable it completely before booting up the game does it show open then? If so you can enable it and from then on you can leave enabled, doesn't mean you've got an open NAT just means it can't determine if you have properly. If not then you're setup properly so not sure why that would be.

You say in your original comment that you are using port forwarding AND upnp!! You cannot use both at the same time, it is 1 or the other as this causes port conflicts!  Try using upnp on it's own rather than port forwarding and see if that works.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Fazor said:

I haven't been using the Geo-Filter...so that's not it either.   Not a big deal of course, but weird. 

Very odd! As long as you're not having any issues connecting to players it shouldn't cause you any problems.

Big Dog...I have/had a topic in the Duma OS for R1 thread that was titled "A few (probably easy) questions" where I had a list of questions when I first switched to Duma OS... and I asked about having both port forwarding and UPNP enabled and the response I got from the Netduma Admin was.... "You can still keep UPNP on. It can pick up any other ports you might have missed. "

So I have kept it on as that's what I was told.  Maybe Fraser will chime in....

I have a suspicion that it may have something to do with the PS3 that's on my network as well.  My wife watches netflix and hulu on there...wirelessly.  And in my device manager it's always showing the PS3 as on...even when it's turned off.  That's just a guess though...could be way off. 

• Administrators

That could be it if it's staying in Instant On mode, could be keeping the necessary ports open for itself rather than what your console. When it's not being used can you hard turn it off and then see if it works for your console please. Generally I wouldn't suggest keeping them both enabled but you can do until you have any issues.

Ok cool.  So I will disable UPNP and save, and then restart my modem and routers and might as well unplug the ps3 too and xbox.  I will reboot/hardstart everything.  Then see what happens.  It will take a day or so, because it usually works the first time I restart those. 

I will report back then. 

Thanks

Well, still says moderate in game with doing all that.  I'm gonna test unplugging the PS3 next...that's my last guess.  Cause it may be in standby mode that's causing the Nat to be weird.  Does it make sense that standby mode would make the Duma device manager still think it's turned on when it's turned off? 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Fazor said:

Well, still says moderate in game with doing all that.  I'm gonna test unplugging the PS3 next...that's my last guess.  Cause it may be in standby mode that's causing the Nat to be weird.  Does it make sense that standby mode would make the Duma device manager still think it's turned on when it's turned off? 

There’s often a small delay in switching from online to offline. But f it has been like that for several hours then it’s most likely the PS3 is still sending or receiving some small amount of data which is why it shows as online (e.g. it has automatic background upgrades)