WiFi issues with R1 on dumaOS

George

Hi everyone,

Since I upgraded to DumaOS 2.1.3.29 WiFi on my R1 has become quite unstable, dropping every couple of days and requiring a router restart in order for all of my devices to join back in. The message I see on my devices when they are unable to join (prior to the necessary restart of the R1) is shown in the attached screenshots. In case it helps the LAN connectivity seems unaffected from this issue.

Any idea on how to fix this?

C7FB69C0-9325-49AD-9582-ADDE6F97C762.jpeg

05F8729E-31C7-4334-9E97-557F9A0FF7F7.jpeg

• Administrators

The R1 is not assigning it an IP address for some reason. First thing I would suggest is go to Settings and extend the DHCP lease to the maximum hour limit which I believe is around 168 hours. Then reboot from the interface. Does the WiFi work correctly for longer after this?

34 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The R1 is not assigning it an IP address for some reason. First thing I would suggest is go to Settings and extend the DHCP lease to the maximum hour limit which I believe is around 168 hours. Then reboot from the interface. Does the WiFi work correctly for longer after this?

Thanks Fraser I ll give it a shot 

On 12/29/2018 at 3:51 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Hi again Fraser, 

I am getting the exact same behaviour its just that now it seems to happen every week instead of every 2-3 days. Is there some way to fix the root cause of this issue instead of delaying its occurrence? 

Log files are full of DHCP related messages when this issue occurs. Would you like to take a look?

• Administrators

Very odd - it's as if wireless DHCP lease renewals are not working. I have never heard of this happening before, so definitely a strange one. Is this happening on all devices? Because one workaround would be to assign a static IP on the devices using wireless , but to do this on every device is not reasonable for you.

Could you try downgrading back to .10. Does this fix your issue? If it does, could you upgrade back to .29 again - there's a small chance the upgrade didn't work fully.

Also, have you changed the LAN IP by any chance (so it's no longer 192.168.88.1) - this shouldn't cause any problems but just wanted to check

On 1/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, Netduma Admin said:

Is this happening on all devices?

Yes exactly. That means that once this happens nothing connected to wifi works. Security web cams, thermostat, hue lights are all useless. That is a huge problem for me as I am often away on a business trip and can't do anything about it. 

but to do this on every device is not reasonable for you

Yeah this is not a realistic option. 

Could you try downgrading back to .10. Does this fix your issue? If it does, could you upgrade back to .29 again - there's a small chance the upgrade didn't work fully.

Sure thing. Just to make sure that we do this right, could you please post detailed instructions, firmware file locations etc? 

Also, have you changed the LAN IP by any chance (so it's no longer 192.168.88.1) - this shouldn't cause any problems but just wanted to check

No the LAN IP is the default (192.168.88.1)

Also I wanted to ask: Do you care reviewing my log files? Can I send over something via mail? 

• Administrators

The logs probably won't be much help. Thinking this through, could you actually downgrade back to the original R1 firmware, see if DHCP is working there, and then upgrade back again. 

Instructions on how to downgrade to original firmware: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000085792-downgrading-back-to-the-original-r1-firmware-from-dumaos

Instructions on how to upgrade back: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000085793-upgrading-your-netduma-r1-to-dumaos-from-the-original-r1-firmware

Please check your email for the firmware link for Milestone 1.3 - as we are not publicly giving this out yet.

On 1/9/2019 at 2:34 PM, Netduma Admin said:

The logs probably won't be much help.

Quite odd thing to hear as my log file is full of DHCP daemon related messages...

On 1/9/2019 at 2:34 PM, Netduma Admin said:

Thinking this through, could you actually downgrade back to the original R1 firmware, see if DHCP is working there, and then upgrade back again. 

You see I there is no easy way to tell. This issue is not related to the DHCP lease time (it occurs regardless of what I set there) meaning there is no easy way to test this. My original thinking was to set the DHCP lease time to 10mins and the proceed with my tests. However the issue does not occur when he lease time expires but instead at a 6-7 days of time after the latest router reboot. So doing this kind of test as you suggest would definitely take more than 3-4 weeks given the fact that I am doing quite a lot of travelling for work and since the last thing I want is to experience home WiFi breaking while away and effectively disabling all my smarthome appliances (thermostat, security camera etc) I reboot the router quite often... So there is that. Is there some other way to proceed? 

• Netduma Staff
4 hours ago, George said:

Quite odd thing to hear as my log file is full of DHCP daemon related messages...

You see I there is no easy way to tell. This issue is not related to the DHCP lease time (it occurs regardless of what I set there) meaning there is no easy way to test this. My original thinking was to set the DHCP lease time to 10mins and the proceed with my tests. However the issue does not occur when he lease time expires but instead at a 6-7 days of time after the latest router reboot. So doing this kind of test as you suggest would definitely take more than 3-4 weeks given the fact that I am doing quite a lot of travelling for work and since the last thing I want is to experience home WiFi breaking while away and effectively disabling all my smarthome appliances (thermostat, security camera etc) I reboot the router quite often... So there is that. Is there some other way to proceed? 

The logs files are usually of no use to you guys who use the router, but I believe in this case they could help in diagnosing your issue. Could you export / screenshot the log file you have and paste it here? Don't worry about the length, it could all be needed. I'll pass this to the development team to see if they can take a crack at it, but as you say, given the nature of the issue it will be hard to test for.

40 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

The logs files are usually of no use to you guys who use the router, but I believe in this case they could help in diagnosing your issue. Could you export / screenshot the log file you have and paste it here? Don't worry about the length, it could all be needed. I'll pass this to the development team to see if they can take a crack at it, but as you say, given the nature of the issue it will be hard to test for.

Hi Jack, 

I have been facing some issues on pasting/attaching the whole file here as I am on the go and tried to do it from my mobile. Can you please give me the Netduma support email address to send them over as attachments via email? 

• Netduma Staff
16 hours ago, George said:

Hi Jack, 

I have been facing some issues on pasting/attaching the whole file here as I am on the go and tried to do it from my mobile. Can you please give me the Netduma support email address to send them over as attachments via email? 

Ah no problem - send it over to [email protected]. I'm on there a lot so I'll take a look :)

• Netduma Staff
21 hours ago, George said:

Thanks Jack, really appreciated :)

I ve sent a couple of log files one of which is taken right at the time when the issue occurs (its been labeled as such). 

Thanks George :D

On 1/16/2019 at 12:33 PM, Netduma Jack said:

Thanks George :D

Any news on the matter Jack? 

I was wondering: could it be that I am dealing with all these issues because I upgraded directly from the old firmware 1.03.6 to 2.1.3.29 (I did not install the first version of the dumaOS 2.x)?

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, George said:

Any news on the matter Jack? 

I was wondering: could it be that I am dealing with all these issues because I upgraded directly from the old firmware 1.03.6 to 2.1.3.29 (I did not install the first version of the dumaOS 2.x)?

Hi George - your logs have been passed on to a developer to have a look at; he's got a backlog of other stuff to take care of though (as usual!) so it might take some time. Still, the plus side is we're fully aware of this potential issue now so a fix could get pushed through.

In the mean time it's probably worth setting static IP's on your devices rather than relying on DHCP, though I'm aware with the setup you've got that's probably not a good solution. We're looking into it George!

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you tried the suggestions in this topic?

yeah, gave all 24 devices static IP's it didn't make a difference. The weirdest part about it is I don't even need to restart the Duma or anything to fix it, all I do is change the WiFi channel and it comes back. I end up rotating through channels 1,6 and 11.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

How often does it occur? Change DHCP lease to 1 week / 168 hours and see if that prevents it

That's what I have mine set at that's why its every Thursday. I have had this issue since the last Original R1 update 1.03.6j

This was my original thread. Everytime it goes down that "user.warn com.netdumasoftware.settings: Error opening wireless-mirror with error wireless-mirror: No such file or directory." is always there along with DHCP issues and RSN handshakes being incomplete.

6 hours ago, Azlios said:

That's what I have mine set at that's why its every Thursday. I have had this issue since the last Original R1 update 1.03.6j

This was my original thread. Everytime it goes down that "user.warn com.netdumasoftware.settings: Error opening wireless-mirror with error wireless-mirror: No such file or directory." is always there along with DHCP issues and RSN handshakes being incomplete.

Thanks for linking your thread here. To be really honest I am really disappointed as I have raised this issue for quite some time now and it hasn’t even been acknowledged by the netduma team. It seems you are on the same boat. I ended buying an additional router to handle my WiFi devices and connected it to my R1 via LAN.

I was seriously considering upgrading to one of the latest netgear DumaOS routers but after seeing how bad the support is at even replicating and acknowledging issues (you raised the very same issue back in November and you still get these generic responses!) I think I ll just go for a different router that has some decent QoS settings. 

On 1/22/2019 at 5:29 PM, Netduma Jack said:

Hi George - your logs have been passed on to a developer to have a look at; he's got a backlog of other stuff to take care of though (as usual!) so it might take some time.

From what I see Azlios has raised the very same issue since November(!) and it seems you still haven’t acknowledged or even managed to replicate the issue. I get your devs are busy and have a queue of backlog items, however this is unacceptable support for a £200 router. I was forced to buy a new wireless router to connect to my R1 in order to have proper WiFi!  

• Netduma Staff
5 hours ago, George said:

From what I see Azlios has raised the very same issue since November(!) and it seems you still haven’t acknowledged or even managed to replicate the issue. I get your devs are busy and have a queue of backlog items, however this is unacceptable support for a £200 router. I was forced to buy a new wireless router to connect to my R1 in order to have proper WiFi!  

I get the frustration George (and indeed, Azlios). This issue has taken a while - the reason being the difficulty of testing for it. Your logs are invaluable in this case as are the previous ones from Azlios, but I believe it's been a very hard nut to crack.

We know there's somethin' fishy going on, but so far it's only clearly affected both of you and not the tens of thousands of other users. For us on the support team, the best we can do to help you both is to make sure it's being investigated; and I can assure you guys that it is. I feel like every logical solution in terms of settings has been explored at this point.

I'm sorry it's happening to you, I just hope we can get a fix out in the next update. 

I've kinda accepted it at this point, can't even imagine where you guys would even consider to start, so many possibilities as to why this is happening. I have to be honest my Duma is pretty beat up, its been dropped a couple times and is still battling through. I also don't think this is just a Duma issue. I reckon it might have something to do with BT too if George is also on BT? The Smart Hub really is a dreadful piece of kit.

Knowing you guys are aware and looking into it is some piece of mind though, just thought I'd let you know its appreciated.

Just to add to this as it may help. Just had my brothers xbox not connecting to wifi, the xbox network test said it couldn't connect to the DHCP server. I proceeded to hard reset the xbox one by holding down the power button. Once it came back on it knocked all the wifi out when it tried to connect again. Might be nothing, or could be that the Duma is trying to assign an addess outside of the DHCP range or not assigning one at all, then it ends up knocking everything off.