VOIP and reactive Algorithm issue

Hi there,

Iam from Greece and iam getting a strange error with my voip modem which is behind my netduma router.

When i use preemptive algorithm my voip router is online and my telephony is working perfectly.

With reactive algorithm or with DUMAOS installed my router shows that it is online but telephony is not working.

What is wrong with reactive algorithm or DUMAOS?

Iam running version 1.03.6j

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Could you explain your physical setup more please? For example modem > R1 > VOIP modem?

The reactive algorithm may drop more packets which is probably why you're seeing the issue. 

What are your expected bandwidth speeds?

Thank you for your promt response.

My setup is as follows:

Μodem/router with netduma r1 at dmz>  netduma r1  > VOIP router

Iam on 50 mbps down / 5 mbps up VDSL.

Your theory for packet dropping might be the cause because if i restart voip router telephony led is ok and iam getting tone on my phone, after trying to make a call telephony led shuts off any my phone is dead (with reactive algorithm).

Is there a way to avoid packet drop?

I also tried with sliders at 100%, disabling CC via super turbo mode, and in duma os i tried disabling qos.

Nothing fixed the issue...

I agree with you.

The point is that i cannot use DumaOs and its great features..

Also with the preemptive if i set the sliders below 100% even 99% i get a total of 30Mbps download.

I checked Turbo mode, disabled ipv6 and made all the recommended settings but the speed is not exceeding 30Mbps. With Duma Os on the other hand the Speeds are ok also i like the feature of enabling qos when high priority traffic is detected..

Is there any suggestion for fixing the issue in DumaOs?

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Could you explain your physical setup more please? For example modem > R1 > VOIP modem?

The reactive algorithm may drop more packets which is probably why you're seeing the issue. 

What are your expected bandwidth speeds?

Hey Fraser

Why does reactive cause packet loss? What is it doing?

I had understood preemptive to be the more aggressive algorithm hence the impact on bandwidth

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, Dan said:

Hey Fraser

Why does reactive cause packet loss? What is it doing?

I had understood preemptive to be the more aggressive algorithm hence the impact on bandwidth

Honestly I'm not too sure anymore - DumaOS scrapped these algorithms effectively. Packet loss can often be a false reading though, I'd say if you're seeing packet loss only on Reactive then it's more likely to be that algorithm causing a false reading than actual packet loss.