Host, Client tick, Send, and Receive rate

DollaB1ll

Problems with the new rates on the xr500, not stable at all, 

Host tick rate start 60 than it goes up to 120+ 

the same for Client, Send and Receive rates.

the graph is a bunch of triangles.

The ping is the only thing in a straight line.

receive rates goes 70 kbs to 335kbs+ back to 70 kbs than up 360+ kbs every 2 seconds. 

I feel like I’m a second behind everybody. Is that problem coming from my home network

• Administrators

Hi there,

Weird to hear the tickrate is spiking above 60. Which game mode and on which device are you playing e.g. Multiplayer on Xbox? Could you take a screenshot the next time you see this?

You would expect the client, send and receive rates to change, so nothing sounds strange there. They are dependent on actions happening within the game. E.g. if you are close to other players all making actions, both the send and receive rates will be higher than when you're doing nothing in the game.

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, DollaB1ll said:

Everything is spiking like hell except the ping. I think this is causing Hitmarkers delay and 1 second delay. I’m on the ps4, I will take a screenshot of the graph when I get home

Alright Dolla make sure to screenshot this. I reckon it's a graphics issue - I don't think this will be an accurate reading of your connection to the server. Try a different browser and a different device :)

• Netduma Staff

This isn't indicating an issue - ping is still the main stat that matters. If you have a stable line and a low ping then tick rate fluctuations don't factor into your gameplay. Those stats also indicate purely the server-side, it's just letting you know how good the server itself is. No router can change those stats.

This is also happen to battlefield tick rate double, and the game playing terrible. My boy also has the XR500 and his tick rates doesn’t spike. It stable and no issues with Hitmarkers or 1 second delay. Night and day different.

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, DollaB1ll said:

Is there a fix to client and host spiking to 120+ on all games. I’m lagging in all games with good ping.

It's not the router - we're just presenting you with the information from the server. The same way you can do in PC games e.g. PUBG.

Question about the QOS and the anti bufferbloat 

I’m getting latency variations when I play battlefield. I have the sliders on 70/70. Everything is correct. When my daughter is on the iPad it’s lags badly in all games. How can fix this? Thank you!

3 hours ago, DollaB1ll said:

I’m getting latency variations when I play battlefield. I have the sliders on 70/70. Everything is correct. When my daughter is on the iPad it’s lags badly in all games. How can fix this? Thank you!

This is due to high ping players, say your on BFV, and there is 4 high ping players. The server (lag comp) will adjust to accommodate them. At times this will make you suffer as having a good ping means the games server wont have to adjust for you.

if the server tick rate is 64 for example, if Player A shoots 15ms faster than player B, but they both do so within the same 15.6ms tick, they will both die.

If lag compensation is over tuned, it will result in "I shot behind the target and still hit him"

If it is undertuned, it results in "I need to lead the target to hit them".

What this all means Generally, a higher tick-rate server will yield a smoother, more accurate interaction between players, but it is important to consider other factors here. If we compare a tick rate of 60, with a tick rate of 20, the largest delay due to the difference in tick rate that you could possibly perceive is 35ms. The average would be 17.5ms. For most people this isn't perceivable, but experienced gamers who have played on servers of different tick rates, can usually tell the difference between a 10 or 20 tick server and a 64 tick one. Keep in mind that a higher tickrate server will not change how lag compensation behaves, so you will still experience times where you ran around the corner and died. 64 Tick servers will not fix that. If you are concerned about the performance of the game, there are a few things you should rule out first, that can make a significant difference:

Your internet connection. The lower the latency the better. This is why its important to play on the servers on which you have the lowest latency. Also any congestion on your home internet connection can cause delays. Lag compensation helps with the "what you are shooting" part, but if you have poor latency, you are much more likely to experience the "I ran behind a corner and still got shot" scenario or the "I shot first and still died" scenario.

If your game has a poor frame-rate (anything lower than or close to your monitor/tv refresh rate), this will increase the delay perceived, often by more than the difference tick rate makes.

In short, most console games server are bad, COD is a prime example of this, how many times have you shot at a player and been kiiled, then watched the kill cam only to see it show on the other players screen you did even fire a shot or if you did it was nowhere near how much you actualy shot him?

If this happens to you and the kill cam shows such a delay in what you did to what other player see's, then leave that server as it wont change as it has high lag comp mostly due to high ping players.

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, DollaB1ll said:

Your console should be on a wired connection, that way the iPad shouldn't interfere with your WiFi signal and you'll have a stable connection. Also, every device should be running through your XR500. If some devices are connected to your Modem for instance, QoS won't be able to prioritise or share traffic properly and will result in congestion.

So with this setup: Modem > XR500 > All Devices, with your consoles on a wired connection, make sure you have 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' mode selected and give your console a higher share with Bandwidth Allocation.

If you want you could run a Pingplotter test, one where the iPad is turned off and one where it's turned on. That'd give you a good indication of how it affects your connection.

The console is wired, the ipad is on wifi, this router is causing me to lag in all games. the QOS doesn't work all the times. ping assist is putting me in to match in the west coast and the UK with a 30 ping. I'm jumping back from my ASUS router to this, and its night and day. 

I'm getting the same issue as well where the XR500 router is reporting a tick rate, upload, and download stats that alternate inconsistently. The game is still running smooth. This issue does not happen on my R1.