Verizon Fios Install ( my issues )

Just some cliff notes on what I had to do to get my NAT OPEN using my setup.

My ISP is verizon ( ActionTec Router ) but I only use their router to for the public ip/DNS and to provide DHCP for my set top boxes. Doesn't provide WIFI  or DHCP to any other device I own. I own two additional routers ( R7000 & R3700 ) both Netgear Devices. I use my R7000 for Wifi & as a Gateway. The R3700 is used as a switch and that's what I use to connect all my gaming devices. The R1 replaced that router.

When installed the R1, it changed my NAT to strict. I followed the instructions given my the R1. It recognized my R7000 as my main router.

I added the R1 WAN IP to my main router ( DMZ ), but it was still strict. Everything was done correctly. I spoke to Fraser and he mentioned verizon, so decided to check my stupid ISP router and for some reason I had to change some settings on that router. After doing that, my NAT is  now open.

I'm pretty sure i'm one of the few idiots out there w 3 working routers in a home, but if you find yourself in a similar situation even though the R1 did it's job and recognized my Netgear router as the main router, don't forget about the ISP router. Sometimes those router don't play nice.

I really didn't have to do anything special. Sometimes you just need to take a step back and stop thinking. lol.

Now I just need to learn how to use the R1..

Archived