xr500 and QoS

I was asked to post on what kinda problems I have been having with the xr500 . I had netduma-fraser help me from the netgear forum. I have updated my device to newiest firmware I have soft reset along with hardset the router. Basically the problem I been having is 4k streaming from sony devices I own a ubp-x700 https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/home-video-blu-ray-disc-players-recorders/ubp-x700 and a sony xbr55x900f Sony tv. When QoS is enabled I can't stream content from vudu  or do software updates on sony 4k player or tv. When QoS is disabled I can stream vudu and do software updates. I have put the device in dmz I has netduma fraser remote access my computer and router to make sure everything was setup. I have 300mbs down and 15 up.

• Netduma Staff

Hi Danny, welcome to the forum! Since Fraser has had a look at your router already, lets just see if we can figure out which of the QoS features is causing the issue.

First off, lets manually disable every feature. Set Anti-Bufferbloat to 100/100 and tick 'Never'. Then, reset Bandwidth Allocation and click 'Update'. Then untick 'DumaOS Classified Games' in Traffic Prioritisation.

Now that every QoS feature is effectively disabled or reset, try to stream content as usual. Does it work? If you find that it works, try enabling or changing each feature one by one (with the other features disabled) to see if any of them in particular are causing the issue.

Just did that again still can't stream or load a movie from sony devices from 4k content . As soon as QoS is on everthing for sony related goes crazy we also made a rule for traffic that all ports were for it . That also failed I believe its just a random glitch between sony and QoS to be honest.  I think fraser and I did everything you could think of if you click on the link from netgear forum you can see all the steps we took.  

• Netduma Staff
14 hours ago, Danny80916 said:

Just did that again still can't stream or load a movie from sony devices from 4k content . As soon as QoS is on everthing for sony related goes crazy we also made a rule for traffic that all ports were for it . That also failed I believe its just a random glitch between sony and QoS to be honest.  I think fraser and I did everything you could think of if you click on the link from netgear forum you can see all the steps we took.  

Ah right okay. I imagine you've both reached the bottom of the barrel at this point! I've passed this issue on to one of our developers to have a look at. I agree, it seems like maybe a niche bug is happening. I've not seen anyone else with this issue so potentially it's just an issue with your router. We'll check it out and see if there's anything we can do.

Guest Killhippie
15 hours ago, Danny80916 said:

I have a Sony AF8 OLED Android TV and it all works fine with QoS on or off. I can update etc fine and have. I have had the TV since May. Make sure you are using 5Ghz as the TV supports wifi 5 (802.11ac) its actually faster than the 100Mbps Ethernet port on the device. I have the UBP X800 and that streams fine as well, and also updated its firmware. Not sure whats going on with your setup. I'm in the UK though, and don't use Vudu. It should not stop the software updates though or streaming. Have you tried factory resetting your TV? I can only think your TV isn't getting enough bandwidth, or if using Wi-Fi you are not getting a strong enough signal. QoS won't effect signal strength though but would effect bandwidth.

You need to make sure its getting a minimum of 25Mbps down for streaming 4K from Netflix for instance. QoS does not alter the signal in any way that would make it incompatible. Have you tried the TV hard wired (if its not) or used Wi-Fi if you have it hard wired ? Make sure you have 20/40 coexistence ticked, untick HT160 if it is uticked, untick Mu-Mimo and beamforming and tried different channels to avoid interference. Also are your SSID's separate for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? If the same you are using smart connect, I would change that so you know what bands your Sony gear is on. 5Ghz is preferable over 2.4Ghz depending on the signal strength and distance from the router, if you are using Wi-Fi as I mentioned. Also make sure the TV is getting enough bandwidth though QoS settings. One final thing try ticking when high priority traffic only, that means QoS only kicks in when gaming..

Yea I have done all that I am not sure whats causing it It happens on both hardwired and wifi . I also exchanged the router while it was still in warranty and still happened. I also have an x800 , x800 for me has same effect on updates while QoS is on if I click check for update it says can't contact sony severs please make sure you have a internet connection. Its weird because 1080p content is perfectly fine is only 4k files that cause playback not to start and endless buffer.

Hey Side note I been looking at my router logs today what does this mean?

[DumaOS] Error parsing line in ARP table: 'fe--------------- dev br0 lladdr c--------------1 REACHABLE', Tuesday, Decem
[DumaOS] Error parsing line in ARP table: '-------------- dev brwan lladdr 00------------ router REACHABLE', Tuesda
[DumaOS] Error parsing line in ARP table: '--------------dev br0 lladdr c00000000000 STALE', Tuesd

Guest Killhippie
6 hours ago, Danny80916 said:

Yea I have done all that I am not sure whats causing it It happens on both hardwired and wifi . I also exchanged the router while it was still in warranty and still happened. I also have an x800 , x800 for me has same effect on updates while QoS is on if I click check for update it says can't contact sony severs please make sure you have a internet connection. Its weird because 1080p content is perfectly fine is only 4k files that cause playback not to start and endless buffer.

What DNS servers are you using? This sounds more like a potential DNS issue to be honest. However I also wonder if it could be that the router is thinking your Sony TV is a PlayStation console along with your X700. Go to device manager, click on the devices in question and make sure they are not being listed as PlayStations, if they are make the TV a TV and the X700 a computer.
 Have you tried a complete factory reset of the router and set up from scratch manually using no back up? Make sure not to add the Sony devices to device prioritisation either as this is meant for low bandwidth devices only not 4K HDR TV's and blu-ray players. Make sure the only device added to geo filter is your console and that your TV and X700 are not not PlayStations in device manager as I mentioned.

Let us know how it goes. Also are you using the latest firmware 2.3.2.40? Try possibly using 'when high priority traffic is detected' in QoS,then try steaming from your TV and see if the red dot for high priority traffic is on, if it is that's an issue. Basically with all QoS off and Antibufferbloat off you should not be getting that red dot, see if its on when trying to stream as I said. Sorry its lots of things to try and ask, but I remembered an earlier firmware used to mistake Sony devices for PlayStations, that's been fixed now though.

I am on current firmware x700 is marked as a computer have done factory reset by the button on the back of the router and from the webpage. My DNS is googlepublic also have tried isp dns and 1.1.1.1 dns . I reinstalled current firmware last night I have done all those steps plus the steps you have mentioned in your post , I still can't get my sony devices to concert to updates or vudu uhd with QoS on .

• Administrators

Do you have Share Excess enabled in Bandwidth  Allocation? Click in advanced options on Bandwidth Allocation and make sure they’re checked on both upload and download. 

Also - are all these devices connected wirelessly or are some of them wired?