LAN ports still dropping asfter .40 update

Hi,

Updated to the latest firmware without issue a couple of days ago. Yesterday I thought brilliant, I will be able to put my xbox back to instant on mode so updates can download whilst I am away from the xbox. Nope, came back today to find the LAN ports had dropped again for anything that was connected to them, (in this case my pc and xbox). Wireless was still fine though. Yes a reboot fixed this but I can't be expected to pick between being able to download games and not having to restart my router everyday after I spent over £200 on a product.

I had owned an R1 since launch and that was ok for the most part aside from the wireless being pretty much useless and needing restarting all the time and I understood the technology in terms of hardware was getting really old so I thought I would give Netduma another chance after waiting for the copious amounts of delays with DumaOS for the R1 and get the XR500.

In hindsight, I have to say this was a mistake. Nothing but issues with the LAN ports and Instant on mode for xbox since day 1, received a beta firmware which changed nothing, waited a long time for the latest update which has still fixed nothing. Fully expect to be a ridiculous wait for another update and can't put up with this issue whilst waiting for that to happen.

This is my last grasp at help in resolving this issue otherwise I am going to have to sell up and move on.

All help is much appreciated

• Administrators

You already know the workaround and the beta firmwares haven't worked for you. The only thing to do would be to contact Netgear support and tell them you're still having the issue on this latest firmware. Unless you have a switch you can put behind the XR500 to connect the Xbox to, that may also be a workaround

2 hours ago, PharmDawgg said:

Honestly instant-on on the Xbox has and causes issues for everyone even non-Netduma gamers. I have an Xbox One X and I avoid it like the plague. I use energy saving mode. 

Disagree, If I use my generic router from my ISP it works absolutely fine and family has virgin media hub and works absolutely fine for them as well. Also never had this issue with the R1 funnily enough. Just as stated, hardware is too old on the R1 so upgrade was necessary. Not really ideal to do that as if i want to play cod for example after coming in from work and then have to let it do a 20gb update before I can play, takes up a lot of time. Games these days are released so often unfinished and buggy that there are constant large updates all the time it seems.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You already know the workaround and the beta firmwares haven't worked for you. The only thing to do would be to contact Netgear support and tell them you're still having the issue on this latest firmware. Unless you have a switch you can put behind the XR500 to connect the Xbox to, that may also be a workaround

Can't contact Netgear support without paying as I bought the router from Amazon warehouse and the previous user must have registered the serial already. Also correct me if 'm wrong, if i connect a switch to handle my xbox connection, won't that mean i won't be able to use any of the functionality of the dumaOS with my xbox anymore?

Ok upgraded to the new firmware, did a factory reset, cleared browser cache but my geofilter is not displaying any peers or servers and will not perform an auto ping. Anything else that I need to do? I performed a cloud flush also

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, leeeroybiscuit said:

Can't contact Netgear support without paying as I bought the router from Amazon warehouse and the previous user must have registered the serial already. Also correct me if 'm wrong, if i connect a switch to handle my xbox connection, won't that mean i won't be able to use any of the functionality of the dumaOS with my xbox anymore?

Okay no worries. The opposite, you'll still be able to use all the functionality of DumaOS so Geo-Filter etc. Think of it like just adding more ethernet ports to the router. 

2 minutes ago, nytemare01 said:

Ok upgraded to the new firmware, did a factory reset, cleared browser cache but my geofilter is not displaying any peers or servers and will not perform an auto ping. Anything else that I need to do?

Could you make a new topic please regarding your issue as it's unrelated to this topic. In short hard turn off console, delete device from Geo-Filter, flush cloud, wait a minute, refresh the page, add device, boot up console, boot up game and try again.

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay no worries. The opposite, you'll still be able to use all the functionality of DumaOS so Geo-Filter etc. Think of it like just adding more ethernet ports to the router. 

Brilliant will try that now. In terms of config, am I connecting the modem direct to xr500 as I normally would and then use one of the ports on the xr500 to the switch and then connect my xbox to the switch?

• Netduma Staff
19 hours ago, leeeroybiscuit said:

Looks like this is the fix, it will reset at least once every 24 hours without the switch and so far there have been no issues and over 24 hours has passed.

Thanks again

That's awesome to hear, I'm glad Fraser helped you get to the bottom of it :D

4 hours ago, xlr8r said:

Netgear should put that on the side of the box....

[Exclusive New Feature!]

Additional Equipment needed for consoles to work properly : Separate Switch

Totally agree that there should not be these issues given that it is sold as a gaming router that does not function fully with a games console. It's even worse that its recommended to use wired connections for best performance and its the LAN ports that have issues.

Having said that, at least we know what the fix to it is and a switch is not an expensive. If it helps anyone else, I have just connected all consoles to the switch (ps4 and 2 xbox) and have had all 3 consoles on rest mode / instant on and so far so good.