LAN Setup Now Useless After Using VPN On New .40 Firmware

Just installed new .40 firmware on my XR500 after waiting forever for a new update. Everything seemed like how it should be, including new ping assist and new Geo-Filter Tick Rate features, and long awaited Hybrid VPN. So I setup IPVanish OpenVPN in the settings, and activated it to test on my Xbox One X and my PC. I ran a speed test, and only got 14 Mbps Down and 25 Mbps Up. So I guess VPN doesn't use hardware offloading/acceleration? I have 500 Mbps Down 50 Mbps Up. Then after testing out new ping features on BO4 on XB1 with VPN, I noticed tick rates did not seem very accurate, and noticed something off about my Local IP Address for my console. I keep all my devices manually setup in LAN Setup. GAMING-PC: .2 , STREAM-PC: .3 , PS4-PRO: .4 , XBOX-ONE-X: .5 , and so on. So after activating the VPN on any device, every single device on my LAN had a new Local IP, regardless if I had added that device to VPN Traffic. Only way I resolved this was to manually set IP settings on every device. This instant I set it back to Auto DHCP on that device, it loses the LAN Setup IP, and goes right back to a completely different local IP. Is this a known problem that is being worked on, or is no one aware of this, or am I the only one?

Guest Killhippie
21 minutes ago, Phyter said:

Just installed new .40 firmware on my XR500 after waiting forever for a new update. Everything seemed like how it should be, including new ping assist and new Geo-Filter Tick Rate features, and long awaited Hybrid VPN. So I setup IPVanish OpenVPN in the settings, and activated it to test on my Xbox One X and my PC. I ran a speed test, and only got 14 Mbps Down and 25 Mbps Up. So I guess VPN doesn't use hardware offloading/acceleration? I have 500 Mbps Down 50 Mbps Up. Then after testing out new ping features on BO4 on XB1 with VPN, I noticed tick rates did not seem very accurate, and noticed something off about my Local IP Address for my console. I keep all my devices manually setup in LAN Setup. GAMING-PC: .2 , STREAM-PC: .3 , PS4-PRO: .4 , XBOX-ONE-X: .5 , and so on. So after activating the VPN on any device, every single device on my LAN had a new Local IP, regardless if I had added that device to VPN Traffic. Only way I resolved this was to manually set IP settings on every device. This instant I set it back to Auto DHCP on that device, it loses the LAN Setup IP, and goes right back to a completely different local IP. Is this a known problem that is being worked on, or is no one aware of this, or am I the only one?

Did you reboot the router after adding the X Box and PC? https://kb.netgear.com/000060463/How-do-I-set-up-a-Hybrid-VPN-on-my-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-XR500-Pro-Gaming-router

Guest Killhippie
2 minutes ago, Phyter said:

Yes, everything was rebooted. All devices rebooted as well.

I have to say thats odd, I have DHCP reservation and have not noticed my IP's changing. Maybe rebooting the devices is something not to do when in VPN mode. I would try again, maybe with a factory reset and see if the behaviour changes, but wait for Fraser to come along as he known more about this.

i checked this on my mates router (i sold him my xr500) and i have remote access to it so i can assist him setting it up, so i checked ....

he has all his main household devices (Pc's / laptops/ consoles etc) setup with static ip in LAN settings (reservation table)  (its better this way , phones / ipads etc best on DHCP)

he has IPvanish setup and connected (currently on UDP connection)

His console is added in VPN as a device

His LAN IP's didnt change with VPN enabled , that i could see ?

I did a speedtest and sure enough on a UDP connection, speed was pathetic 15mb down 8up ?

when VPN was switched to TCP, it worked at full speed ?  (Seems router doesnt like a UDP connection ??)

isnt UPD better for gaming though .....?

note: he mentioned to me that when gaming last night of Fifa, it was seriously laggy on TCP on IPVANISH (worse than ever before!) . he will retest it later tonight on UDP to see if it improves any. even though this will reduce his overall download and upload speeds...?

Just factory reset. Did not setup VPN at all, configured IPs in LAN setup, and now it it still not working at all. Router was rebooted, as well as my switch, to ensure ethernets were disconnected, and device were served new IPs, and it did not work whatsoever.

After about 5 separate router and switch reboots, the manual LAN Setup appears to work now. Will setup VPN once again to see if it works while active.

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, xlr8r said:

i checked this on my mates router (i sold him my xr500) and i have remote access to it so i can assist him setting it up, so i checked ....

he has all his main household devices (Pc's / laptops/ consoles etc) setup with static ip in LAN settings (reservation table)  (its better this way , phones / ipads etc best on DHCP)

he has IPvanish setup and connected (currently on UDP connection)

His console is added in VPN as a device

His LAN IP's didnt change with VPN enabled , that i could see ?

I did a speedtest and sure enough on a UDP connection, speed was pathetic 15mb down 8up ?

when VPN was switched to TCP, it worked at full speed ?  (Seems router doesnt like a UDP connection ??)

isnt UPD better for gaming though .....?

note: he mentioned to me that when gaming last night of Fifa, it was seriously laggy on TCP on IPVANISH (worse than ever before!) . he will retest it later tonight on UDP to see if it improves any. even though this will reduce his overall download and upload speeds...?

UDP is faster TCP is more secure generally, google it and fry your mind trying to work out what's best depending on what game. Also why on earth would anyone want to use a US based VPN! Thats like giving someone a spare set of keys to your home. You need a VPN that's not in the 14 eye countries, so something like ExpressVPN or NordVPN who make sure your data is as secure as it gets and cant be accessed by the list below which is the 14 eye countries. :)

United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Norway, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Sweden, and Spain

I am using UDP, along with port 1194 now. Speeds are still the same. Just ran a speed test. Download at 13.0 Mbps Down, 32.3 Mbps Up, Qos set at 500 down 50 up, with sliders at 70% 350 Down, 35 Up. Speeds were still similar while using port 443.

1 hour ago, Killhippie said:

UDP is faster TCP is more secure generally, google it and fry your mind trying to work out what's best depending on what game. Also why on earth would anyone want to use a US based VPN! Thats like giving someone a spare set of keys to your home. You need a VPN that's not in the 14 eye countries, so something like ExpressVPN or NordVPN who make sure your data is as secure as it gets and cant be accessed by the list below which is the 14 eye countries. :)

United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Norway, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Sweden, and Spain

nobody said they were using a US based VPN...? IPVANISH has servers all over the world. I also use IPVANISH on my pc (as a client program) exact same ping and speeds as if connected to my own ISP....and with fewer hops in most cases

I also don't really care if my COD "gaming" data is secure or not.... lol

And hey,  this thread inst really about promoting other peoples favourite VPN's.... LOL!!

the point is, there seems to be a very major difference in speeds when the Router is running the VPN when compared to the Pc running VPN client .... especially on UDP

Guest Killhippie
3 hours ago, xlr8r said:

nobody said they were using a US based VPN...? IPVANISH has servers all over the world. I also use IPVANISH on my pc (as a client program) exact same ping and speeds as if connected to my own ISP....and with fewer hops in most cases

I also don't really care if my COD "gaming" data is secure or not.... lol

And hey,  this thread inst really about promoting other peoples favourite VPN's.... LOL!!

the point is, there seems to be a very major difference in speeds when the Router is running the VPN when compared to the Pc running VPN client .... especially on UDP

It does not matter how many servers IPVanish have or where in the world they are, its about  the fact that IPVanish is a US company, hence any data can be asked for by the US government or any of the countries within the 14 eyes list. I was talking about protecting data which is after all what a VPN is for, so the last thing you want is a company that can be told to hand over all its details on its users. I added ExpressVPN and NordVPN as they are not part of the 14 eye countries. Nothing to do with what I use or a favourite VPN at all. Read the restore privacy link, its useful to learn how safe your data is with your chosen VPN provider.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPVanish

https://restoreprivacy.com/5-eyes-9-eyes-14-eyes/

• Administrators

Speedtest.net primarily uses TCP for it's speed test which makes sense why UDP may be slower https://support.speedtest.net/hc/en-us/articles/203845400-How-does-the-test-itself-work-How-is-the-result-calculated-

There are UDP speed tests out there, try those and see what speeds you get 

Must admit, performance through the VPN is not great for me either, Download is 20Mbps on a 50+mbps connection currently.

Interestingly if I add a device to use the VPN but do not bind any specific applications to it aka so nothing is actually going to use the vpn and run the speed test again I get 20Mbps download again (before anyone asks, yes I still see my ISP's actual IP address still), I can only assume reason being is that the router is now checking every packet from that ip to see if it matches any applications that should use the vpn, aka PBR (policy based routing) kind of thing.

Using NordVPN, will try configuring some of the other servers incase there is some problems with the server I am currently using.

23 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Which mode is the device on the right of VPN using? Also stating the obvious but I assume you are selecting the closest VPN servers to your location?

Hey Fraser,

I have used both modes, last night I tested 'Only VPN these services', created my own custom service to have everything use the VPN for my device and then this morning I used 'Do not VPN these services' and did not select any services so essentially it should not of been used for any traffic (verified not being used by checking what IP was seen on the internet from the device).

Yep I am using the closest servers to me! (London) :)

Cheers,

• Administrators

Do not VPN these services will VPN the entire device, if you add a service under that it will VPN everything but that service.

Sometimes the IP address will be cached so I'd check that it's applied by using a few different websites

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do not VPN these services will VPN the entire device, if you add a service under that it will VPN everything but that service.

Sometimes the IP address will be cached so I'd check that it's applied by using a few different websites

Surely it won't VPN the whole device, considering I have not selected the services to 'Do not VPN these services' all I did was add it to the list, kind 9f contradicts being able to select the service/application that you don't want the VPN to be applicable to, will try a couple more websites to verify my IP tomorrow though.

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, TheFuzzyOne87 said:

Surely it won't VPN the whole device, considering I have not selected the services to 'Do not VPN these services' all I did was add it to the list, kind 9f contradicts being able to select the service/application that you don't want the VPN to be applicable to, will try a couple more websites to verify my IP tomorrow though.

It will, you haven't added any services for it not to put through the VPN, therefore everything goes through. Its good for example if you don't want to VPN the PC game you're playing but VPN everything else so you're protected and you have a low ping game