New XR500 Firmware Version V2.3.2.40

• Administrators

VPN does default to enabled but because there is no settings input its not actually enabled. CPU being higher is probably just due to the new features that have been added I would assume but keep an eye on it if it starts becoming an issue.

Good catch Liam I'll let the team know.

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

VPN does default to enabled but because there is no settings input its not actually enabled. CPU being higher is probably just due to the new features that have been added I would assume but keep an eye on it if it starts becoming an issue.

Good catch Liam I'll let the team know.

Your welcome Cheers Fraser 😉👍

Guest Killhippie

Well running a wireless speedtest and CPU didn’t go mad In fact if anything it seemed that both cores ran more in line with each other, as soon as the test stopped the spiking and one core running higher with up to 60%, in fact over the period of a minite both cores spiked to 60%, then back down to 20% this tick tock affect is ongoing. It doesn’t look like a problem at the moment but more testing is needed, maybe there needs to be some CPU optimisation needed here by Netgear. Or it could just be the graph being a bit off kilter. 

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, xr500user said:

Hi Fraser,

I did a straight upgrade from .32 to .40 and it was checked as Enabled first time I opened it ..  nothing else filled in of course just Enabled ticked on

Yep thats expected behaviour, no need to worry about that :)

48 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Well running a wireless speedtest and CPU didn’t go mad In fact if anything it seemed that but of course rain more in line with each other, as soon as the test stopped the spiking and one court running higher than the other started again, it doesn’t look like a problem at the moment but more testing is needed, maybe there needs to be some CPU optimisation needed. Or it could just be thr graph being a bit off kilter. 

Okay keep us updated!

so far:

Device Manager

1. Still has '\' issue. If an SSID (2.4ghz or 5ghz) has a '\' in its name,  it triples the '\'.  Ex. SSID name of "network/\one" shows as "network/\\\\one".  Only occurs in Device Manager, and only effects SSID name in the tree/list. You can use a \ in any device name without issue.

2. Device Manager still has trouble seeing Online status if device is behind an AP (R7000 in AP MODE). Network Monitor has no issue lighting up when it detects traffic from a device behind an AP. Device manager always shows it in the Offline list, but it's not offline. If you click on the Offline device you can see it has a Wireless IP address assigned, and looks active, but just not being reported as being online on the LAN side of the tree/list.

Installed R-APP  (system information)

1. Window shows Hybrid VPN size as undefined.

Hybrid VPN

1. Settings in Hybrid VPN are ticked Enabled after firmware upgrade (.32 to .40) even though it was never used, with no settings. Unsure if this is intended.

2 . Hybrid VPN Advanced information disappears after being entered, no way to see what the Configuration settings are to modify.

• Administrators

Thanks I'll pass this information onto the team!

The second device manager one should have definitely been fixed, if its actively using the internet like downloading does it not switch to online?

Hybrid VPN are expected/known behaviour at the moment.

nope .. checking again on a laptop,  shows as offline, even if i stream on it, still offline - but network monitor shows it pulling bandwidth with its assigned name

its definitely on the same network, ip was even given to it by the router dhcp ..its just behind an AP (laptop is behind an R7000 in AP mode) the AP is going through a Cisco switch ethernet back down to the router lan port.

1 minute ago, nfxcr3w said:

Yes it's present in this latest firmware. :)

Hey thanks for the reply!! This is almost to good to be true!! I must be dreaming!! Looks like Xmas came early this year. lol.. :D

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, xr500user said:

nope .. checking again on a laptop,  shows as offline, even if i stream on it, still offline - but network monitor shows it pulling bandwidth with its assigned name

its definitely on the same network, ip was even given to it by the router dhcp ..its just behind an AP (laptop is behind an R7000 in AP mode) the AP is going through a Cisco switch ethernet back down to the router lan port.

Okay that's odd, well thanks for letting us know. I've passed it over to the team so they can investigate

29 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay that's odd, well thanks for letting us know. I've passed it over to the team so they can investigate

thanks, i have a feeling it may be the R7000 (netgear router) in AP, it may not be letting something pass not sure i will look into it further myself, they need to test with and without a switch in the middle maybe, i have another extender which is working correctly, but its not in AP mode -- if you an replicate it n fix it may fix for other APs which may be doing the same thing .. maybe its blocking the arp table or some type of broadcast, not sure yet, i will try to figure it out too

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, KennyUbstrd1 said:

Great job guys!   Where do I find the pink  assist.  I saw that it was in the geo filter, but cannot locate it.

Thanks,

chad

It's in the Geo-Filter Map options

29 minutes ago, xr500user said:

thanks, i have a feeling it may be the R7000 (netgear router) in AP, it may not be letting something pass not sure i will look into it further myself, they need to test with and without a switch in the middle maybe, i have another extender which is working correctly, but its not in AP mode -- if you an replicate it n fix it may fix for other APs which may be doing the same thing .. maybe its blocking the arp table or some type of broadcast, not sure yet, i will try to figure it out too

Originally we tested with the EX7500 extender and I'm pretty sure we tested with another device in AP mode also, we'll have to double check if those fixes hold for the extender or not

Guest Killhippie
12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay keep us updated!

I noticed that over a minute of so both 1.7Ghz cores spike to up to 60% then back down, it's a tick tock cycle that repeats itself and was not there in the previous firmware. I have turned the Hybrid VPN off as a test, I don't use the USB functions or any of the Netgear readyshare functions and have the disabled the ones I can and have all the media stuff disabled too like Tivo etc turned off too. Last night playing Destiny 2 was the first time I noticed the XR500 putting off  more heat than usual, but nothing alarming. The GUI should not really make the IPQ8065 a quad core big.LITTLE SoC hit 100% surely unless Netgear have done their old trick of underclocking the CPU. The R7800 was running at 1.4Ghz not 1.7Ghz and its the same CPU. I was wondering are the 800Mhz  networking cores used in Netgears firmware or DumaOS? Also why are they not shown in the CPU graph? It is a quad core not a dual core CPU after all. Even Qualcomm say that. https://www.qualcomm.com/products/ipq8065

I was a bit surprised at the jump in core usage as I mentioned. Also the Dashboard is slower to appear on my iMac using Firefox 64 than before on v2.3.2.32. My computer is 2017 27" iMac with a I7 7700K Kaby lake CPU, 32GB DDR 2400 ram, a RX580 Pro GPU with 8GB GDDR5 and a 1TB PCIe/NVMe SSD, so its not the fastest machine by latest 2018 standards but its also  no slouch by any means. So I know its not my iMac causing the slow GUI response.

When you update though the Netgear built in update feature is it like a delta update with only the parts of the firmware that needs updating being added or is it a full image like the ones on Netgears download page? Although as of typing this 2.3.2.40 is still MIA it seems on the site, so still no idea what the release notes are.

Guest Killhippie

Still have a blank UPnP table with this firmware <sigh> Also a bug I noticed but thought was a glitch last time after the failed speed test (which now works) is  after the router checks your speeds and you press next where you can print the details, pressing next again causes the router to loose its internet connection so it cant check for new firmware,  as the internet light goes orange and you drop connection. Once you press next after it fails to check for new firmware the internet light goes white and the connection comes back up as usual. Most odd.