lower speeds using DUMAOS

kf4syr

I have tried all the workarounds trying to get my original modem speeds of 115 down and 10 up when my R1 was using the original software. When the QoS is being used no matter what is ticked (always, high priority or never) my speeds drop 95 down and 8 up. When QoS is not being used it returns to the higher speeds. My modem is bridged, not using IPv6 and checked all suggested items in the settings suggestions dialog. So I assume I have another problem. I do understand that the drop is minimal but still would like to know.

Thank you, Marc

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, kf4syr said:

I have tried all the workarounds trying to get my original modem speeds of 115 down and 10 up when my R1 was using the original software. When the QoS is being used no matter what is ticked (always, high priority or never) my speeds drop 95 down and 8 up. When QoS is not being used it returns to the higher speeds. My modem is bridged, not using IPv6 and checked all suggested items in the settings suggestions dialog. So I assume I have another problem. I do understand that the drop is minimal but still would like to know.

Thank you, Marc

Hi Marc. What I'd say on this is I'm super glad you're getting your full speeds with QoS disabled. It sounds like the router is working as expected. QoS is actually intended to give you slightly lower speeds depending on your settings, since it's built to prioritise gaming for you. In the world of gaming, Ping and stability is what matters, so if QoS needs to sacrifice a few MB to get you better gameplay that's what it'll do!

If you wanted QoS on and full speeds at the same time, you'd need to set Anti-Bufferbloat to 100/100. That effectively disables that feature. It's literally a speed throttle, so is the most likely cause of your lower speeds with QoS enabled. I hope this helps :)

I am getting significantly lower speeds with DumaOS. 

11mbps down hardwired from R1 to PS4 using the DSLReports speed tester with Anti-Bufferbloat set for High Priority Traffic Only.

88mbps down directly out of the modem to my PS4.

Why would there be such a dramatic decrease?

I’m no longer at home. I’ll check later.

I know the speed tests on PS4, when I test within their Network menu, are always wrong. But when I open a browser on PS4 and test from a speed test sight, they have always been pretty reliable... especially when hard wired. And the fact that I went from around 10-15mbps to 75-88mbps (multiple times) simply by bypassing the R1, I’m a bit concerned. 

10 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hi Marc. What I'd say on this is I'm super glad you're getting your full speeds with QoS disabled. It sounds like the router is working as expected. QoS is actually intended to give you slightly lower speeds depending on your settings, since it's built to prioritise gaming for you. In the world of gaming, Ping and stability is what matters, so if QoS needs to sacrifice a few MB to get you better gameplay that's what it'll do!

If you wanted QoS on and full speeds at the same time, you'd need to set Anti-Bufferbloat to 100/100. That effectively disables that feature. It's literally a speed throttle, so is the most likely cause of your lower speeds with QoS enabled. I hope this helps :)

I understand and the answer makes since, but my sliders are at 100 percent with QoS on and still the results are the same.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ahh thanks for the clarification. Let us know what you get from the PC, it may just be your QoS settings affecting it

The results with the iMac and PS4 speed tests were relatively close and better than the earlier numbers, but still lower than desired.  I have cable internet, so the numbers always fluctuate.  Are there certain QoS settings I need to confirm for optimization?

What I would really like to know is why the drop using DUMAOS compared to when I still was using the old software. Also what should I pick in the traffic priory selection? I play COD only and on PC only. I do not see COD called out on the drop down using the basic tick. I have all devices enabled ticked.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, puddy said:

The results with the iMac and PS4 speed tests were relatively close and better than the earlier numbers, but still lower than desired.  I have cable internet, so the numbers always fluctuate.  Are there certain QoS settings I need to confirm for optimization?

For max speeds, this guide explains what to do: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-speeds

For the best QoS settings, there's this guide (but involves limiting your speeds to get the best latency): http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos

2 hours ago, kf4syr said:

What I would really like to know is why the drop using DUMAOS compared to when I still was using the old software. Also what should I pick in the traffic priory selection? I play COD only and on PC only. I do not see COD called out on the drop down using the basic tick. I have all devices enabled ticked.

There shouldn't be any degradation if your settings are setup correctly. Have you tried downgrading back to test? Don't worry about doing this is you would prefer not to, realise it's a bit of effort.

For CoD on Traffic Prio, manually add your PC and then choose the Games Console service. It should then work great.

Whenever I disable QoS, I have approx 120mbps down hardwired.  When I enable QoS, it drops to approx 20mbps.  Even with Anti-Bufferbloat off (Never), sliders at 100%, and no other devices in the house using bandwidth.  What gives?

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, puddy said:

Whenever I disable QoS, I have approx 120mbps down hardwired.  When I enable QoS, it drops to approx 20mbps.  Even with Anti-Bufferbloat off (Never), sliders at 100%, and no other devices in the house using bandwidth.  What gives?

Hm, that's weird. Enable it and hit Reset Distribution, disable Traffic Prioritisation and set Anti-Bufferbloat to Always at 100%. Do you get higher speeds on a wired PC? (It always has to be a wired PC for accuracy!)

2 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hm, that's weird. Enable it and hit Reset Distribution, disable Traffic Prioritisation and set Anti-Bufferbloat to Always at 100%. Do you get higher speeds on a wired PC? (It always has to be a wired PC for accuracy!)

Don’t have a PC. I assume an iMac will work. ?