This is something I wasn't expecting.. Thoughts?!?!

Stealth_01

Now before I start im not one for controversy and this post isn't directed towards negativity, but I damn sure didn't expect this.

To be fair to Sim I have the utmost respect for calling out Netduma and telling it how it is.

Now i know some people may have not had the same experience as him, but to speak out against something, which he was truly passionate about and a great supporter of, takes alot of integrity and principle. 

To not compromise his judgement regardless of his status within the community is commendable.

With that being said, I just wanted to hear if anyone here has had experience with switching out to OpenWRT/LEDE firmware. 

Has it made a differance to your online experience?

Is flashing the firmware simple?

What routers would people recommend to flash firmware on?

Regards,

• Administrators

Hi - we always appreciate feedback here. But just to say, we were already on top of the fact we needed to get an update out to support Black Ops 4. The recent Treyarch patch added new servers, and because of the way the game's netcode works, one misplaced server in our IP database (the 'Cloud') can cause problems.

So we set about creating an automatic tool to fix this permanently. This has already rolled out to PS4 and we're now running to for Xbox and PC too. Should be rolled to all DumaOS users within the next couple of days.

We also have plenty of new features coming out on DumaOS, so watch this space :)

10 hours ago, Stealth_01 said:

Now before I start im not one for controversy and this post isn't directed towards negativity, but I damn sure didn't expect this.

To be fair to Sim I have the utmost respect for calling out Netduma and telling it how it is.

Now i know some people may have not had the same experience as him, but to speak out against something, which he was truly passionate about and a great supporter of, takes alot of integrity and principle. 

To not compromise his judgement regardless of his status within the community is commendable.

With that being said, I just wanted to hear if anyone here has had experience with switching out to OpenWRT/LEDE firmware. 

Regards,

This is a surprise Netduma team. Sim was the whole reason why I bought one of these units back in the AW days. It has worked pretty well for every game since. But for B04 I must say you guys have been way behind. Cause it really hasn't performed well with this game at all. Hopefully yall get it sorted it out though.

14 hours ago, Stealth_01 said:

Regards,

Hi.

Sim;s views are his own and he is entitled to them as we all are. LEDE/OPENWRT is not for the faint hearted when it comes to using. It is not a plug n play firmware like dumaOS, or standard router firmware, you really have to know what you are doing when it comes to lede. As this is a Netduma Forum It would not be appropriate to advise you on alternative routers. Please also note that not all routers support lede and you run a huge risk of bricking your router if you are not fully aware of what you are doing.  If you wish advice on alternative firmware to Netduma's then please go to anoter lede/openwrt forum.

11 hours ago, basKETcaSe said:

And this lets talk in the third person sim is a beta tester for them and he seems to know next to nothing of how networking works and is bashing them on YT, sesh.

I think you will find Sim knows quite a bit about networking. As for bashing Netduma, his views are his own and he is free to say as he wishes.

Cmon really giving sim a hard time for calling out widely experienced and even some admitted issues is cheap especially when said issues are lessened or fixed on older cheaper routers whatever their firmware.  I loved my R1 and the forum here for years and hope to feel the same about my XR some day, but that days not today.  Whether it’s on duma, netgear, or treyarch is debatable, but fact is this router was sold to tons of us mainly for the yearly cod at first and this year has been a rough one at best.  

It’s not cods job to make things duma friendly it’s the other way around and always has been since day one, honestly since the netgear deal things have no doubt changed for all of us involved.   Plenty of folks are still feeling like beta testers and that’s not what I planned to be doing on a 300 dollar upgrade.  I’m still fairly confident netduma will get there despite netgear and continue using my XR cause it’s working as intended for most games.  Problem is cod was my reason for purchase and is the main game quite a few of us use these features on and updates or fixes have slowed way down compared to previous years.  Ever since the netgear deal this community has changed drastically some good and some not, upgrade times, transperency among other things and some of what made this group so trusted and amazing for years has been lost in the shuffle of getting big.   Still have faith things will keep moving in the right direction, but pretending he’s wrong for calling out these things mainly because he’s so passionate about this community makes zero sense.  I didn’t pay too much attention when he apparently “bashed duma”, but I do know the frustrations that this years causing many of us so I can’t blame him. Even after these PS4 fixes I’m seeing mentioned  I still have had issues with not finding games for a while today and again turned some of the features that sold me on this thing off to play.  Waiting months for a cloud update or to use features or enjoy a cod release or waiting who knows how long for netgear to approve things like ping assist that’s currently on the R1 on this “upgraded netduma”are a far cry from what netduma used to be.   Hope all is good here soon and we can all get back to spending as much or more time playing the game as we are playing with our router setup and features. 

My advice to any Xbox user at the moment is to delete your console from the DumaOs geo filter before you boot up Blops4 if you wish to play that game for now until the new fix drops very soon.

The router then gives you an easy way to prioritise your consoles packets and use a top flight congestion control until Netduma have fixed the issue that this game has given Xbox users right now.

A release of a new FW Os and then a new game that has changed the way you connect just weeks after its release has surely been a massive undertaking for Iain and the team.

I have done the above an feel no need to use any other router as the game locks me to close by servers as the modern cod's do.

17 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

New Cloud update out guys which now includes Xbox, PC and further PS4 improvements. See this post for more info and instructions:

Mine actually has been working great and i havent even done this yet!

On 12/11/2018 at 4:14 PM, Netduma Admin said:

So we set about creating an automatic tool to fix this permanently. This has already rolled out to PS4 and we're now running to for Xbox and PC too. Should be rolled to all DumaOS users within the next couple of days.

We also have plenty of new features coming out on DumaOS, so watch this space :)

Thats great news for the R1 users but not so much for the XR's.. As im assuming this will only be fixed when netgear finally decide to roll it out, which I understand u have no control over..

On 12/11/2018 at 5:56 PM, basKETcaSe said:

And this lets talk in the third person sim is a beta tester for them and he seems to know next to nothing of how networking works and is bashing them on YT, sesh.

Hmm interesting, how did u come to your conclusion that he knows nothing about networking, or is this just a really bad assumption u've decided to make??

On 12/12/2018 at 1:12 AM, ColonicBoom said:

Not very Fonzie.

Being part of a beta is supposed to be about helping find and solve issues.

Im presuming his feedback fell on deaf ears hence why the video was made, but until sim confirms this, its all hear say. 

On 12/12/2018 at 6:19 AM, AD513 said:

Hope all is good here soon and we can all get back to spending as much or more time playing the game as we are playing with our router setup and features.

U hit the nail on the head sir :)

On 12/12/2018 at 5:26 AM, BIG__DOG said:

I think you will find Sim knows quite a bit about networking. As for bashing Netduma, his views are his own and he is free to say as he wishes.

I second this opinion..

On 12/12/2018 at 5:20 AM, BIG__DOG said:

LEDE/OPENWRT is not for the faint hearted when it comes to using. It is not a plug n play firmware like dumaOS, or standard router firmware, you really have to know what you are doing when it comes to lede. As this is a Netduma Forum It would not be appropriate to advise you on alternative routers. Please also note that not all routers support lede and you run a huge risk of bricking your router if you are not fully aware of what you are doing.  If you wish advice on alternative firmware to Netduma's then please go to anoter lede/openwrt forum.

Fair enough I guess. I just thought the fact that this was the 'off topic' section it would've been okay. I think that title may need some clarification in the rules..

17 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

New Cloud update out guys which now includes Xbox, PC and further PS4 improvements.

Great news, nice to hear some progress is finally coming along

43 minutes ago, Stealth_01 said:

Fair enough I guess. I just thought the fact that this was the 'off topic' section it would've been okay. I think that title may need some clarification in the rules..

No, not really, no clarification necessary as  this is a forum for Netduma not openwrt/lede.  Unless you know about ssl, telnet and how to install scripts then I advise you to stay away from openwrt. There's plenty souce material on the web and some youtube videos if you really want to find out more!

here is their website: https://openwrt.org/

• 2 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, Stealth_01 said:

Regards,

There is a good forum called smallnetbuilders that would fit what your asking.. Thats where a lot of your third party firmware guys hangout. They and others on there will be able to give you good advice. Specially on OpenWRT/LEDE firmware.. Firmware's like this have very good uses and can be setup to work more in particular situations. And they can give you info on what type of routers work best. Ive always seemed to use ASUS but there are many brands that have been used. I personally haven't used the OpenWRT/LEDE but ive done a lot of script modifying to a lot of ASUS routers that even had stock firmware.. Knowing how to do that alone can play a major role. But what is nice about third party firmware's is the flexibility one has to what they want the router to do.. Example would be on a particular online game.. Heck you might even find some of the third party firmware very useful.. But like anything its about trial and error and tweaking until you hit that sweet spot.. Good luck! 

Zippy.