Issue with connecting to R1 GUI all of a sudden.

xG3orG3x

So I’ve been on the DumaOS beta for a few months now, but today I tried to access the GUI to do some tweaking with the geo filter and had no luck.  I’ve tried everything from switching cables, using different browsers, clearing cache, factory resetting the R1, isolating and directly wiring to the #2 port, made sure my WiFi was off during the process... I can’t even get the prompt for a username and password when trying to connect to 192.168.88.1 or 192.168.1.1... One says the connection was refused, the other times out and says it “took too long”. I can still access the internet through the R1... but I just can’t access the interface. I’ve seen a few posts with the same problem, just wonder if anyone figured out the issue and was able to resolve it. Thanks everyone!

• Administrators

Hi there - what happened before this? Did you upgrade it or do a factory reset?

Could you do a factory reset using the reset button on the back please. You should see the LED lights briefly all flash on and then turn off if it has been done correctly. See the bottom half of this guide for full instructions:

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000084263-how-to-factory-reset-the-netduma-r1-using-dumaos

Prior to this nothing had changed. I received the email saying I could install the DumaOS firmware on October 20th, at which point I did and I’ve been running flawless with it ever since.  Yesterday I went to log in as I do at least once a week and I couldn’t access the GUI. No request for the username or password, no luck from attempts to access via 192.168.88.1 or http://r1. Although it did say the site refused the connection. 92.168.1.1 just times out. The factory resets I have done have been using the reset button. I’m at my wits end here. 😔 

• Administrators

If you connect an Ethernet cable into port 4 on the router, does the ligt for port 4 appear on the router?

if yes, can you then get internet through it?

If yes to that, could you open command prompt on your PC and type in ‘ipconfig’ (without the quotation marks). Press enter and then screenshot the results and post them here please. 

3 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

If you connect an Ethernet cable into port 4 on the router, does the ligt for port 4 appear on the router?

Yes it lights up. I’m still gaming through the R1 even. Just can’t access the GUI to change anything.

if yes, can you then get internet through it?

Yes Sir.

If yes to that, could you open command prompt on your PC and type in ‘ipconfig’ (without the quotation marks). Press enter and then screenshot the results and post them here please. 

And I attached my ipconfig. Took a picture of the screen rather than a screenshot. Hope it goes through... sorry if it looks sideways. I’m on mobile at the moment 😣

05C25C42-0894-40F4-84E8-FC35F4F229B4.jpeg

Edited by xG3orG3x
Put the correct picture in place. Last one was sideways.

8 hours ago, xG3orG3x said:

Yes it lights up. I’m still gaming through the R1 even. Just can’t access the GUI to change anything.

Yes Sir.

And I attached my ipconfig. Took a picture of the screen rather than a screenshot. Hope it goes through... sorry if it looks sideways. I’m on mobile at the moment 😣

05C25C42-0894-40F4-84E8-FC35F4F229B4.jpeg

Can you clear your browser cache & cookies and try 192.168.88.1 again. I would recommend using Google Chrome if you aren’t already.

I’ve cleared my cache and have tried Chrome, Opera, Safari, other PC’s... nothing works.  I have attempted to factory reset it with the button on the back at least 20 times. Holding the button 30, 40, 60, 90, 120, and as long as 160 seconds... it will go through the process as outlined in this link http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000022375-i-unticked-preserve-settings-when-upgrading-can-t-access-my-router-help but the WiFi never turns on (I had it disabled previously as it was for hardwired devices) and I can never reach 192.168.1.1. Whenever I attempt 192.168.88.1, it says it “refused to connect”.

• Administrators

Make sure when you type in 192.168.88.1 that there’s nothing appearing after it. 

Could you also try a different browser to the one you’re currently using e.g. Firefox, Chrome etc  

If that doesn’t work, could you take a screenshot of your browser when you’re trying to access 192.168.88.1 please?

The fact you are getting an ip address assigned to your computer and have a working internet connection should mean this is straightforward to fix. 

No luck. I’ve tried Chrome, Safari, Opera, IE and Firefox. You really would think this is a silly simple fix too... the thing is, it says it “refused” the connection... 192.168.1.1 just times out saying it took too long (when I have the R1 isolated and disconnected from the modem). It’s almost like it isn’t factory resetting when I do it

CBC6C5B9-2099-4906-99C5-0E4F41845E01.jpeg

• Netduma Staff
12 hours ago, xG3orG3x said:

No luck. I’ve tried Chrome, Safari, Opera, IE and Firefox. You really would think this is a silly simple fix too... the thing is, it says it “refused” the connection... 192.168.1.1 just times out saying it took too long (when I have the R1 isolated and disconnected from the modem). It’s almost like it isn’t factory resetting when I do it

I have a feeling this will be down to miscommunication between the router and your devices / the modem. It's a pretty gray area, which I often see fixed through persistence rather than logic. Try more factory resets using the button, and a hard reset as well (turn off the Modem and Netduma. Wait 5 minutes then turn on the Modem. Wait another minute then turn on the Netduma).

You know, I thought the very same thing. I’ve reset the modem and the R1 a dozen or more times.  Also, I’m going to have the reset button on the back of the R1 wore out from how many factory resets I’ve done.  I’ve even isolated the R1 by completely removing it from my network and doing factory resets. I hold the button the proper amount of time.  I’ve held it as long as 160 seconds, a solid 2 minutes past when it beeps. I’ve tried removing power and letting it sit for a few hours in hopes the RAM would clear. Once upon a time (2004-2012) I was a network management technician for the US Air Force. So some of my 1,2, and 3 layer-based troubleshooting is still intact. I really don’t think this is a miscommunication between devices.  I think somehow the firmware and my settings have got stuck on the device. No reset of any kind has turned the WiFi back on or removed the “88.1” gateway address from it. So i’m Assuming it isn’t actually taking the factory reset. Instead, it’s as if it’s just doing some kind of long reboot. For whatever reason, this thing is beating me. 😣

• Netduma Staff

This is a really weird issue. One suggestion: Have you got a friend / family member you could take your R1 over to and try to access the UI there? If you could try to access it on a totally new network that would prove once and for all whether it's the R1 or whether it's something to do with your devices / network. If you've got a spare modem you could try, or just accessing it on different devices, that could be beneficial as well.

Do you happen to have a VPN or some kind of app for a VPN? I've seen those block the interface before. Also try to access it with your firewall and adblockers disabled. If you've just installed some security software that might have caused it too.

I’ve isolated the R1 by removing all connected devices other than power when doing a factory reset and still can’t access it from multiple devices using different, known working CAT5e/CAT6 cables. I assume that would eliminate the possibility of it being a network related issue. I’m not using a VPN and I’ve attempted it after disabling my firewall and ad blockers. I’ve cleared caches. I mean, it makes no sense. What perplexes me further is how I had the WiFi disabled when I could access the interface, so I know once I factory reset it should turn back on by default, but the WiFi never turns on after I manually try to factory reset.  Also, once I do an “ipconfig”, the gateway remains 192.168.88.1 instead of reverting to 192.168.1.1. Wouldn’t this indicate the R1 isn’t actually being factory reset? 

• Administrators

Actually it's the opposite - 88.1 is the default IP address for the Netduma R1.

Could you try doing this:

• Open a different browser, ideally Firefox
  • Then type in this url: http://192.168.88.1/desktop/index.html#com.netdumasoftware.desktop

My hope is that for some reason the redirect from 192.168.88.1 to the desktop is being blocked

It's odd that there's no WiFi - that is concerning. So see if the above works and if not, we'll need to take this to emails to figure out the next step. Thanks for your cooperation with all of this.

If 192.168.88.1 is indeed the default IP address for the R1 upon a manual factory reset, this guide that’s Fraser sent me should probably be edited http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000022375-i-unticked-preserve-settings-when-upgrading-can-t-access-my-router-help

I attempted what you suggested and still no luck. Just says the address is “currently unreachable”. I’m assuming I’m SOL... 

Albeit I have made no progress and my R1 is over 2 years old, so I know I’m not in the warranty window, looking more and more like I’ll have to just pony up more money.  I can’t justify the price tag right now, but maybe in a year or two.  Thanks for your help everyone. Happy Holidays. 

On a positive note, the R1 wasn’t really doing too much in regard to Blackout on BlackOps4, so maybe I can get by without it for a year or so without it. 

After setting the IP, subnet mask, and gateway statically, I’m still unable to access the GUI. Says it “refused to connect”. This is using Chrome after clearing the browsers cache as well. Thanks for the additional troubleshooting suggestion though Fraser. 

image.jpg

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Zennon said:

In CMD please try and release the IP of your device you are trying to connect to the Netduma, typing these and pressing enter after each one.

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

Worth giving these a crack 

Also - do you have a different computer you can try to see if it can access the interface? That would rule out whether it’s a problem with your current PC. Thanks. 

I’ve tried in my command prompt many times to do those things. I’ve also tried other devices and PC’s with no luck.  Again, even after a manual factory reset with the button on the back, the R1 fails to turn the WiFi on as it should by default (prior to this issue I had it running as Ethernet-only with WiFi turned off).  Just to be sure I’ve physically connected via ethernet and attempted to reach 192.168.88.1 as well as 192.168.1.1, with no luck. Only “refused to connect” and “took too long”, respectively.

I’m guessing something within the firmware isn’t allowing a true factory reset to be fully completed. Maybe a setting that when ticked could have unknown implications on factory resetting via the button? I’m purely thinking out loud at this point.  I would gladly ship the R1 to you guys if you’re willing to take a look for yourself. I’m beyond confused with the way it’s reacting to my efforts.

My last hope with it in my possession is to leave it sit unpowered for a few days and see if the RAM clears, but I have a feeling it won’t matter with as much time as I’ve spent on it so far. 

• Netduma Staff
4 minutes ago, xG3orG3x said:

I’ve tried in my command prompt many times to do those things. I’ve also tried other devices and PC’s with no luck.  Again, even after a manual factory reset with the button on the back, the R1 fails to turn the WiFi on as it should by default (prior to this issue I had it running as Ethernet-only with WiFi turned off).  Just to be sure I’ve physically connected via ethernet and attempted to reach 192.168.88.1 as well as 192.168.1.1, with no luck. Only “refused to connect” and “took too long”, respectively.

I’m guessing something within the firmware isn’t allowing a true factory reset to be fully completed. Maybe a setting that when ticked could have unknown implications on factory resetting via the button? I’m purely thinking out loud at this point.  I would gladly ship the R1 to you guys if you’re willing to take a look for yourself. I’m beyond confused with the way it’s reacting to my efforts.

My last hope with it in my possession is to leave it sit unpowered for a few days and see if the RAM clears, but I have a feeling it won’t matter with as much time as I’ve spent on it so far. 

I'm confident that you've tried every possible solution at this point. It's definitely inaccessible, which sucks. Could you email [email protected]? I'll see if there's anything we can do about it!