New XR700 Issue

Received my XR700 yesterday. For context, my connection with previous Linksys WRT32X was pristine with exactly 0 issues so I have no doubt the issues experienced point to the router as the culprit. Set it up with NAT filtering OPEN and turned off UPNP. Turned off 802.11d radio in advanced wireless. Set UL/DL bandwidth at 1000 and set QOS at only when high priority detected and sliders to 50% (thus 500/500). Joined a game of BLOPS4  and immediately experienced rubberbanding. I immediately thought it was the router as this never happened before, but gave it another 5 or so games. I had one game where I didn't rubberband, with all other games experiencing between 1-4 rubberbanding experiences. It seems that the router which claimed to remove all lag proved to add lag; go figure. I read similar issues on this forum before bed last night and saw that some had said to revert to the original .20 fw and so I flashed back to the original. I will test further after work today. Needless to say this is unacceptable for a $500 piece of hardware that is touted for its ease of use of complicated QOS rules etc lol. I know btw that it's not all your guys fault, we are dealing with Netgear after all, but your brand is on the product and thus you are at least partly culpable. @Netduma Fraser@Netduma Iain@Netduma Jack

• Administrators

Hi Omega,

Rubberbanding should absolutely not be happening - and to be fair we've not heard of any reports on the XR700 of this issue. 

Are you playing on wired or wireless?

Could you also follow these two key guides to get the major lag-killing features setup optimally for your connection. They don't take too long to follow:

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-filter

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos

Ok, so I am not a Netduma or networking novice. I've owned both the R1 as an early adopter and XR500. I've also owned the Netgear X10 which is for all intents and purposes the same router as the XR700 just without DumaOS loaded onto it. I never experienced these issues with any previously owned router. I've had nearly every nighthawk in the Netgear lineup, many Asus routers, and Linksys routers. I am by no stretch of the imagination some network wizard, but know most every setting in a Netgear/ASUS/Linksys UI and what it does. I am playing wired on a gigabit FiOS connection. I do not use the geo filter because I play competitive custom games for the most part where you are joining P2P sessions. Yesterday's 5-7 game sample was a mix between public match servers and P2P custom games. The rubberbanding happened in both game types. In the custom game, it happened on a P2P host I play on all the time with 0 issue. This rules out a P2P host issue. As was stated on a thread in this forum, there were packet loss issues cited on the newest fw. The problem could be, and hopefully is, as simple as the fw being at fault. As I stated, I flashed the router back to its out of the box .20 fw and will test to see if the rubberbanding persists when I get home from work. It's just deeply unsettling that a router at the highest consumer price point has such a flaw right out the gate. @Netduma Admin@Netduma Fraser@Netduma Iain

I have the XR700 and have not come across rubberbanding, but that is the only bad thing with BO4 I have not come across but I have with everything else. I know the netcode for BO4 is horrendous.  Have you tried other games to see if it is consistant? I have tried BO3 and Bf1 and BFV with no issues at all apart from BO4.

8 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

I have the XR700 and have not come across rubberbanding, but that is the only bad thing with BO4 I have not come across but I have with everything else. I know the netcode for BO4 is horrendous.  Have you tried other games to see if it is consistant? I have tried BO3 and Bf1 and BFV with no issues at all apart from BO4.

I have not tried other games as virtually all I play online is BO4 so how other games play would be irrelevant in this case. And again, this isn't a netcode issue which CAN be more of a subjective feeling of how the game should be vs. reality/networking constraints. My issue is a very obvious one being rubberbanding. The game goes from fine to me studdering all over the place with "Connection Interrupted" flashing on the screen for about 3-5 seconds and then it goes back to normal. If this had happened to me before maybe I would second guess whether it was the router/fw. However, as I said, this has NEVER happened to me in any cod and so the obvious reason is the router.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Omega said:

Ok, so I am not a Netduma or networking novice. I've owned both the R1 as an early adopter and XR500. I've also owned the Netgear X10 which is for all intents and purposes the same router as the XR700 just without DumaOS loaded onto it. I never experienced these issues with any previously owned router. I've had nearly every nighthawk in the Netgear lineup, many Asus routers, and Linksys routers. I am by no stretch of the imagination some network wizard, but know most every setting in a Netgear/ASUS/Linksys UI and what it does. I am playing wired on a gigabit FiOS connection. I do not use the geo filter because I play competitive custom games for the most part where you are joining P2P sessions. Yesterday's 5-7 game sample was a mix between public match servers and P2P custom games. The rubberbanding happened in both game types. In the custom game, it happened on a P2P host I play on all the time with 0 issue. This rules out a P2P host issue. As was stated on a thread in this forum, there were packet loss issues cited on the newest fw. The problem could be, and hopefully is, as simple as the fw being at fault. As I stated, I flashed the router back to its out of the box .20 fw and will test to see if the rubberbanding persists when I get home from work. It's just deeply unsettling that a router at the highest consumer price point has such a flaw right out the gate. @Netduma Admin@Netduma Fraser@Netduma Iain

Ok, gotcha. Let us know if it's better on a downgrade. If you're confident you have set it up ok then there's something strange happening, probably hardware related. E.g. faulty wire, faulty ports etc. So try a different Ethernet port on the XR700 if you haven't done so already.

Guest Killhippie

I have not got an XR700, but a XR500. I have seen occasional rubberbanding in Destiny, but its rare and does not occur in other games, its important to try other games out to see if you get rubberbanding as its testing the router and connection. Saying that's irrelevant isn't really the case as If no other games are rubberbanding that points to BO4 more than the router itself.
 Tbh I would say with a gigabit connection you don't really need QoS,  you should have more than enough bandwidth really. Netgear generally suggesting using QoS on connections under 300Mbps. Also have you have Nat Filtering off but this option determines how the router deals with inbound traffic. The Secured option provides a secured firewall to protect other clients  on the LAN from attacks from the Internet but it really does not interfere with gaming on these routers, so its leaving yourself open to attack and the router to being compromised too. Considering how many port probes routers receive each day and also with firmware vulnerabilities appearing not only on routers but clients too that's personally the last thing I would do. That setting is like leaving the front door open because you get a little more air flow but also is letting the bad guys in to abuse your home. You also have turned off UPnP which is odd as for total security you would have the firewall ON and UPnP off.
 I would try with the Nat filtering on and UPnP on, in fact maybe setting the router to its default configuration for testing purposes would be the best idea so there is a baseline to work from. Try the earlier firmware and see how it goes, if need be do a factory reset. Also as I mentioned with such a big pipe unless you have a household that's capable of saturating a gigabit connection QoS isn't really going to do much. Hope the router works out.   :)