XR500 - How to solidify Twitch stream upload?

I bought an XR500 recently and have been really wowed with what it does and how it works, but there's one thing that's been consistently dogging me with it. I stream to Twitch fairly regularly, and it can be pretty stable, but I found a snag just now that is mystifying me and I'm not sure how to fix it. I'm attaching the bandwidth and framerate chart from Twitch for my most recent stream, and there's a dip a bit early, and then a period where the stream wouldn't stay stable. OBS likewise reported frames dropped due to network congestion.

What happened there is that my Xbox One in the house started a game download in the background. The router appears to be prioritizing the download traffic to the detriment of the upload traffic from Twitch. My son and I were also playing Destiny 2 simultaneously at the same time, but didn't seem to be affected.

My connection is gigabit up/down, so I wouldn't think I'd have this trouble. I'm additionally mystified by the download traffic cutting into my upload.

This is a mystery I'd love to solve, so if anyone has seen this previously, please let me know as I have tried a bunch of things to no effect.

Settings I can think of:

Connection speed: 800/800
Bufferbloat set to 80% of both
I have the PC that handles the stream set to 32% of upload reserved.
I have the default NetDuma priority setting enabled, as the current firmware doesn't seem to allow us to set manual priorities.

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 8.58.56 PM.png

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! It looks like that game download is being mistaken for high priority traffic. I think this is to do with the packet encryption on consoles - it's much harder to differentiate what traffic is gaming and what traffic is a download for a console. (You wouldn't have this issue on a PC, for example).

I'd recommend just disabling Traffic Prioritisation. You probably won't need that feature anyway on Gigabit speeds - you've got more than enough bandwidth to share around.

If this doesn't solve the problem, maybe you should disable QOS entirely. Gigabit speeds don't really require intense QoS settings, so you shouldn't be negatively affected.

I hope this helps! It might seem counter intuitive, but ultimately you should have the speeds to handle everything fine without the need for QoS.

Guest Killhippie

As Jack says you dont really need QoS Even Netgear on other routers with QoS like the R7800 say if you are hitting over 300Mbps you really don't need it. With Gigabit fibre QoS wont do much of anything as you have so much bandwidth.