After switching Netduma R1 to Netgear XR500, I'm getting multiple weasel errors in Destiny 2

Hi guys.

First of all, I was a huge fan of the Netduma R1. I decided to make that guide me to my update which ended up being the Netgear XR500 since it's running DumaOS. But for some reason, after switching, I'm getting multiple weasel errors a day. And it's not constant enough for me to understand why. From the default settings, I changed this : 

- Added my hard wired PC to the Geo-Filter set with Destiny and Spectator Mode.

- Set the Anti-Bufferbloat to Always and at 70% up/down

- I set my PC to 40% of the resources up/down in Bandwidth Allocation

- I have Traffic Prioritization set to On for DumaOS Classified Games

- I've checked for updates to the firmware

I'm not sure what to do now. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I've already had multiple warnings from dropping out of matchmade activities and will get a ban if this continues :(

Thanks in advance

Guest Killhippie
3 hours ago, owllock said:

Hi guys.

First of all, I was a huge fan of the Netduma R1. I decided to make that guide me to my update which ended up being the Netgear XR500 since it's running DumaOS. But for some reason, after switching, I'm getting multiple weasel errors a day. And it's not constant enough for me to understand why. From the default settings, I changed this : 

- Added my hard wired PC to the Geo-Filter set with Destiny and Spectator Mode.

- Set the Anti-Bufferbloat to Always and at 70% up/down

- I set my PC to 40% of the resources up/down in Bandwidth Allocation

- I have Traffic Prioritization set to On for DumaOS Classified Games

- I've checked for updates to the firmware

I'm not sure what to do now. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I've already had multiple warnings from dropping out of matchmade activities and will get a ban if this continues :(

Thanks in advance

Not getting that here I have to say. Weasel is generally packet loss, it may be more your line than the router. I keep my geofilter at about 2000km other wise I find it to restrictive in Crucible and Gambit matchmaking. I also avoid using strict mode in Destiny 2 like you do. Sometimes I think its Bungie's servers tbh. I had destiny crash once in a Gambit match, apart from that time I've not seen weasel errors in ages. If you want you can set up a Thinkbroadband quality meter,  just set the XR500 to "respond to ping on Internet port" and run the quality meter in the background and see what your line looks like, you will soon see if you are experiencing packet loss. When you updated your firmware did you try a factory reset? Sometimes you can get odd behaviour after an update and that can help, but before doing that is Destiny the only game you are having issues with online? Also when you are playing Destiny is the red notification for traffic prioritisation coming on?

https://www.bungie.net/en/help/?search=weasel
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

• Netduma Staff
5 hours ago, owllock said:

Thanks in advance

Hi Owllock, welcome to the forum! The advice above is great. I play Destiny 2 as well, and I definitely don't see weasel errors. If Killhippie is correct and it's caused mainly by packet loss, it's definitely worth testing your line quality.

Try a Pingplotter test on a wired PC - that'll give you an accurate measure of your line and show you if there's any packet loss. Make sure you post a screenshot of the test here so we can help you to break them down - it's easy to misinterpret Pingplotter.

Ultimately it shouldn't be the router itself. I'd be very surprised if it was, especially with the Geo-Filter on Spectator Mode (which means it won't be blocking a thing).

17 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hi Owllock, welcome to the forum! The advice above is great. I play Destiny 2 as well, and I definitely don't see weasel errors. If Killhippie is correct and it's caused mainly by packet loss, it's definitely worth testing your line quality.

Try a Pingplotter test on a wired PC - that'll give you an accurate measure of your line and show you if there's any packet loss. Make sure you post a screenshot of the test here so we can help you to break them down - it's easy to misinterpret Pingplotter.

Ultimately it shouldn't be the router itself. I'd be very surprised if it was, especially with the Geo-Filter on Spectator Mode (which means it won't be blocking a thing).

So I just ran this test while doing a strike. This is the result : 

ce6f6a31300f9a5a663ed24f377a29de.png

I did not get disconnected. Then I ran a PvP match and this is result : 

3ec70b142c075c0f2b3902c17e8c00d3.png

I did get disconnected from this one. I already called my ISP and they dont see anything on their end. To be fair, the internet connection is fine when I'm not playing Destiny. And I'm getting the 300/300 I payed for. Tested for that again and again. So I'm not clever enough to know where to go from here :( ISP said they'd send a technician in 3 days to take a look. I'm not sure what to say to him even. Does any of this make sense to you guys?

Guest Killhippie

Well red is packet loss, and the first looks awful, the second also has packet loss as well, these would be the moments you are being getting weasel errors, I'm sure Jack and Fraser will read this much better as I use a firebrick to check my line, but its a similar thing. I would say check all connections, give the cables a wiggle (sounds silly but make sure there are no loose ports on the router or Modem causing disconnects) You could also power down the modem and router, leave for a 5 minutes of so, power the modem up, then plug the XR500 in after 2 minutes, then turn the XR500 on. Download the XR500 firmware again, reload it, do a factory reset and set it up manually, not from a back up, set the Geo filter to where you are, leave the geo filter size at default and select the Destiny profile. Also if during the set up you get odd speed results just enter them manually after you have finished, use Ookla speed test as thats what Netgear uses and do a few tests and take a rough average, and enter that manually.

Run the Pingplotter test again but say using YouTube as a target so we can see what your line is like streaming though the XR500, to see if you still get packetloss. If it continues try putting the R1 back in action and if the issue stops, if it does it could be faulty hardware, in which case if you are within your return period ask for another unit as yours may be faulty, you can do that without going though Netgear if you bought it from somewhere like amazon or a brick and mortal store. If its over the return period contact Netgear for a RMA. Hopefully Fraser or Jack will chime in as they are far more familiar with ping plotter than I am. :)

• Netduma Staff

Killhippie hit the nail on the head above; Pingplotter is more straight forward than it might seem. The packet loss here is pretty bad - exceptionally bad on the first test. Did you start doing anything at that point in the test? Seems weird that the packet loss would just start 6 minutes into the test, and carry on for 4 minutes.

All of the suggestions above are great :)

Guest Killhippie
10 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Killhippie hit the nail on the head above; Pingplotter is more straight forward than it might seem. The packet loss here is pretty bad - exceptionally bad on the first test. Did you start doing anything at that point in the test? Seems weird that the packet loss would just start 6 minutes into the test, and carry on for 4 minutes.

All of the suggestions above are great :)

It looks like there was no connection at all in the first graph, Jack. Maybe the OP can upload the router logs for that period if they are still on the router, just wondering if its a DDoS from another player, Destiny has a lot cheaters still doing this kind of stuff like using a lag switch (I even came across a player calling himself 'lagswitch' who was doing just that, I hit him in the head square on with Parcel of Stardust twice and he ran off after shooting me). Hence why it would be good to see other traffic not just Destinys in pingplotter.

I play destiny 2 everyday via xbox x and I can say its very difficult to have a consistent game play with regards to hit registration etc.  I play PVP pretty much 90% of the time and have noticed lag in certain game modes more than others like iron banner for example.  P2P and Destiny make it very difficult to have consistent game play in PVP.

Guest Killhippie
2 hours ago, Bmann said:

I play destiny 2 everyday via xbox x and I can say its very difficult to have a consistent game play with regards to hit registration etc.  I play PVP pretty much 90% of the time and have noticed lag in certain game modes more than others like iron banner for example.  P2P and Destiny make it very difficult to have consistent game play in PVP.

Yes that’s very true but in my case the guy was reported by a member of the fireteam as he was doing the same to all of us, well beyond the usual bungie PVP lag. The OPs issues are something else though entirely. :) 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Bmann said:

I believe there may be an issue on PingPlotter with using interval at 1 please so could you do the following:

• Change the ping target to Google, Twitter, something like that
  • Change Interval to 2.5

If you're still seeing red then do a PingPlotter with same settings direct from your modem and then share both screenshots please.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:37 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

I believe there may be an issue on PingPlotter with using interval at 1 please so could you do the following:

• Change the ping target to Google, Twitter, something like that
  • Change Interval to 2.5

If you're still seeing red then do a PingPlotter with same settings direct from your modem and then share both screenshots please.

Absolutely, I'll try that tonight. I'll try various activities in the game and see what I get and post here for you. Thanks for that.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:12 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Its best to do the tests when nothing else is happening on your network

So it turns out like your suggestion was correct. The problem was hardware based. I had the ISP technician come over and he redid all the ports from my apartment down to the switch. After he did, I've had no issues what so ever. :)Thank you guys for everything, I'm really grateful for all the suggestions and information. At least I know better how to analyze my internet from now on. Case closed. 

Cheers