Bad Line Jitter

Phyter

Hi, I will provide some screenshots of PingPlotter from pings I ran last night for 12 hours, only hard wired into my modem. My results are the exact same using the XR500. Just want some help on how to go about remedying  this issue of having an unstable latency and connection. I also made a post about this complaining about this issue about my ISP on dslreports.com. I will also provide a link to the forum post if anyone here is willing to help my issue, whether it be fixes, or how to go about contacting my ISP to fix this. I have contacted them, and they do not seem to be willing to help me, and I have gotten next to zero responses from their twitter and email support, since they respond once or twice, and then stop. I don't like dealing with phone support, since almost all of those representatives have no idea what I'm talking about, and it's simply easier to share information in messages or emails about this kind of issue. My ISP is WOWWAY, or WOW! , and I live in Chicago. I have had dealings with them before not really helping me at all, so I did submit a informal complaint with the FCC, since they were not responding to me, and in doing so, they are forced by government to respond to me. They give me b.s. about how jitter is acceptable up to 30 ms, which is unacceptable as far as playing games go, since that is wildly unstable. And in my results I see jitter reach upwards of 70 ms or more. Ping timings should be within a few ms or less of one another right? At least from as far as I've seen from others results that have a fantastic and stable internet line. Also, my results are with no network congestion, since there were no programs using the internet, and I was asleep during the testing to find the PingPlotter results. All screenshot files are names to show what I am pinging since some are me pinging either my Default Gateway and my DHCP server to my ISP. Just need some assistance with this, since this seems to be a community with very competent people that know just what they're talking about. Thank you!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32200167-High-Jitter-1-1-1-1-routing-issue-No-responses-or-help-from-WOW

1.0.0.1 pings.png

1.1.1.1 pings.png

4.2.2.2 pings.png

8.8.4.4 pings.png

8.8.8.8 pings.png

9.9.9.9 pings.png

64.233.207.8 wow dns pings.png

64.233.207.9 wow dns pings.png

akamai.com pings.png

default gateway pings.jpg

DHCP server pings.png

dslreports.com pings.png

ns1.telstra.net pings.png

pingplotter.com pings.png

It doesn't seem that file names are put with the screenshots uploaded on this forum. I could be wrong, so let me know. Just in case if you don't know what one screenshot may be showing, as far as what I'm pinging, I will be glad to tell you or help out with any more information that may be needed. I will be keeping an eye out on this forum post, so I will try to reply fast. Thank you to anyone that can help in advance! :D

That is either a bad RJ11 (cable from the socket to the modem here in the UK) or a bad modem, 200ms max ping from hop one (the modem)

Change out the cables first so it will prove either way if it is the modem.

It is not RJ11. They are RJ45 ethernet cables. My modem is a Netgear CM1000 DOCSIS 3.1. MY connection type as told twice by my ISP, is FTTC, Fiber to the Curb. Meaning fiber optic lines are going from them, to the node behind my house, and from there, coaxial RG6 to my house. My modem is connected on the first splitter of my coax, and the other cable goes to my amplifier, for the tvs in my home. So there is no amplifier before the modem. This is something everyone checks for first when diagnosing their modem and connection, as that is how the setup should be. Power levels are also perfect and exactly where they should be. As far as the ethernet cables go, the cable is brand new, a Monoprice Enterprise Grade Cat7 SSTP ethernet cable. So it 100% is not my cabling. Prior, as of only a few days ago, I was using a FLAT Cat7 STP ethernet cable, and results were the exact same. All day everyday.

Also, I purchased the exact same modem, a Netgear CM1000, for testing, and also tested that one as well, and still the same results, That was less than 2 days ago. The modem is definitely not the problem. There are no reported serious problems with this modem. If I were using, for instance, an Arris SB6190, which has the PUMA6 chipset, that would definitely be the problem. This modem uses the Broadcom BCM3390 chipset, which is the recommended modern chipset to be using.

No need to apologize. RJ11 is used for telephone cables. They are used in DSL internet lines. I don't have DSL, I have FTTC to coaxial cable. Since it is supposedly fiber, pings to my ISP should be only a few milliseconds, as you can see from some of the ping results, but the max pings are way too high, and show extreme instability.

Phyter,  Not sure if you tried this or not yet but have you taken your modem and directly connected it to the main line coming into your house? That would mean taking your modem and lab top to the location where the line comes into your home and hook the modem directly into the main line without going through any splitters. Then do some tests from there. See what you get there and post back here. This will help to make sure this isn't a splitter or something else back feeding into your line with in your home. You shouldn't have to test long.  Good luck!

Here is an email I just received regarding my FCC informal complaint since they hardly reply to my messages and emails to them, showing them my upload speeds never reach advertised speeds, my line has a lot of jitter and lag a good amount of the time, and I even reported a routing error to Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS resolver. This is how they treat me now that I have informed the government of my issues with them. I now have to wait god knows how long for a response to all this.

wow!.PNG

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, Phyter said:

Here is an email I just received regarding my FCC informal complaint since they hardly reply to my messages and emails to them, showing them my upload speeds never reach advertised speeds, my line has a lot of jitter and lag a good amount of the time, and I even reported a routing error to Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS resolver. This is how they treat me now that I have informed the government of my issues with them. I now have to wait god knows how long for a response to all this.

wow!.PNG

I think you've done the right thing here - if they're not taking action then clearly you just need to speak louder. This is definitely on them, so the solution is also on them.

6 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

I think you've done the right thing here - if they're not taking action then clearly you just need to speak louder. This is definitely on them, so the solution is also on them.

I totally agree with you Jack. He has done the right thing. To be honest more have to do this then just taking things as acceptable.. One of the things ive noticed over the years here in the US is that ISP's are starting to get very sloppy when it comes to latency. And there reply is very commonly called "acceptable". There trying to cram 6 gallons into a 5 gallon bucket. First thing to go out the window is latency.. We use to own the cable company here where I live but have sold out to Spectrum awhile ago.  We still to this day help them pin point issues.. And one thing that sticks out to me is how very little knowledge they have in using there own testing equipment or misinterpreting there results.. About two weeks ago I gave 101 class to a line tech on what his meters readings meant. While he thought things were normal I showed him that they were not.. Which is strange because it had logged warnings a mile long.. He asked me what those meant and I told him that the latency variation was way out of spec. So as you can see its very easy for things to get sloppy when even the techs are still learning..

I posted another tweet to them just showing them again about my slow upload speed. I should be getting at least 50 Mbps up. Guess what my ISP did? They blocked me on both of their accounts on Twitter AGAIN! This ISP is a living nightmare.

Link to my tweet from my SECOND Twitter because they blocked me before. 

https://twitter.com/PapaBlessPapa/status/1069837661026836480

IMG_1179.PNG

IMG_1176.PNG

IMG_1178.PNG