America Will Ban Supply Drops...?

MrTrakky

• 4 weeks later...

I believe there a several other EU countries (or the EU in general) that are in the process of changing the law regarding supply drops, as they've already decided that it's straight up gambling.

What remains to be seen is whether Activision / EA et al are so arrogant that they will just leave the supply drop mechanism as is in games and simply put a block on it in countries that ban them. Just like how you can't have red blood in video games in some countries, so those countries get green blood instead.

We could find that in countries that don't ban supply drops the games remain the same, whereas people that live in countries that do ban them won't be able to unlock those items at all as a lazy FU from the games companies.

I expect that they will try to get around the issue by using the argument that some of these games have 18 ratings so they should be allowed to have gambling due because it carries the same age restriction in most countries.

In my opinion it should go the way you suggested, so if you see a skin you like then you can buy it straight up. They'd get more money from me that way as I'll never pay for a random crate but might pay for something that I could choose. That will force them to put more effort into the extras as well, rather than just make all the random boring filler icons and flags that we  see in crates, very few people are going to buy a horrible plain murky brown camo for their gun or a little picture to sit in the corner of the screen.

On 12/27/2018 at 2:35 PM, ColonicBoom said:

I believe there a several other EU countries (or the EU in general) that are in the process of changing the law regarding supply drops, as they've already decided that it's straight up gambling.

What remains to be seen is whether Activision / EA et al are so arrogant that they will just leave the supply drop mechanism as is in games and simply put a block on it in countries that ban them. Just like how you can't have red blood in video games in some countries, so those countries get green blood instead.

We could find that in countries that don't ban supply drops the games remain the same, whereas people that live in countries that do ban them won't be able to unlock those items at all as a lazy FU from the games companies.

I expect that they will try to get around the issue by using the argument that some of these games have 18 ratings so they should be allowed to have gambling due because it carries the same age restriction in most countries.

In my opinion it should go the way you suggested, so if you see a skin you like then you can buy it straight up. They'd get more money from me that way as I'll never pay for a random crate but might pay for something that I could choose. That will force them to put more effort into the extras as well, rather than just make all the random boring filler icons and flags that we  see in crates, very few people are going to buy a horrible plain murky brown camo for their gun or a little picture to sit in the corner of the screen.

I'm with you I would much rather get what I want to pay for but I think you're bang on the money they will only make the changes in the countries that opt to ban them