Only finding peer connections for BO4 MP

david

Since updating my Netduma R1 to DumaOS (OpenBeta release and milestone 1.3) I have been having loads of connection issues for BO4. I only ever seem to get peer connections for BO4 MP, but if I plug my xbox directly into my internet router I get a server connection immediately (within 5 seconds). I am based in central London with ping usually about 30ms on BO4 network monitor for server hosted games and my Xbox online NAT type is Open.

Today I was getting peer hosted games so to check BO4 and Xbox network is OK I connect the xbox direct to the internet router and immediately get server hosted games, I then connect xbox back to the netduma and BO4 reverts to peer hosted games. After a couple of hours trying and failing to get BO4 MP to connect to servers, I reconnect the xbox back to the internet router and immediately get server hosted games.

I have tried with my internet router in router mode and modem mode, and with the netduma assigned as the DMZ. I have tried with all possible combinations of the geo-filter and QoS settings including geo-filter distances from 1K to 10K, with Ping assist disabled and enabled at 40ms to 200ms, with strict enabled and disabled, with the xbox in spectator mode only and with everything disabled and the xbox removed from the geo-filter list (i.e. disabled the geo-filter, buffer bloat and traffic prioritization) and I am still getting the same issue. I cold reboot the netduma and xbox when I make changes to ensure everything is starting with fresh connections.

So even with all the netduma filtering and qos features disabled it still seems to disrupt the xbox ability to connect to server hosted games.

I did not have these issues with the original Netduma R1 before I updated to DumoOS.

• Netduma Staff

Hi David - this seems like a strange one. So you can't connect whatsoever? With Spectator Mode enabled, the router acts in a very standard way - it's not filtering / blocking hosts at all. That means it's also letting all authentication / NAT servers that could be getting incorrectly blocked through. There's no conceivable way anything could be getting blocked and leading to this issue.

Maybe this is something to do with having a secondary router on your network in the first place. Do you have any other routers you could hook up to the modem and test that? It's a long shot, but if you have an open NAT AND you have the Geo-Filter disabled, the router is effectively working normally. All traffic should be flowing straight through it without issue in theory.

• Administrators

How are you determining that you're getting into server games when not using the Geo-Filter? Also the Geo-Filter can report a host as being a peer if it's not classified as a dedicated server in our cloud, you can use the domain name to lookup and check for certain.

The version number in the top right changes with an 'E' appended when on a dedicated server host, no 'E' means peer host.

Also I can capture network traffic and lookup IP location and ownership.

It worked OK with original R1 firmware so I should maybe downgrade to determine if its something in DumaOS or another problem related to my network setup or ISP. What's the safest way to downgrade?

I have seen some iptables errors in the log and figured there may be some config errors or something stuck in iptables so I tried a factory reset in case that would clear everything but still have the same problem. After a factory reset I left everything in default - so no geo-filter config - and still get the same issue only connecting to peer hosts - I reset my internet router to router mode and connect the xbox directly and immediately get into a server hosted game.

• Administrators

Yeah if you could downgrade just to confirm please that its the OS and not specifically with the game that'd be really helpful. Just upload the file as you would normally.

Don't worry about the log file its for developers and so it's verbose, no need to look there for errors as they're just common entries

I downgraded to previous R1 firmware (R1-v-1-03-6j), added xbox geo-filters and BO4 immediately joins a server hosted game. So looks like DumoOS is preventing the server connections for xbox even with geo-filtering disabled.

Let me know if there is any more info I can capture to help diagnose the problem.

8 minutes ago, david said:

I downgraded to previous R1 firmware (R1-v-1-03-6j), added xbox geo-filters and BO4 immediately joins a server hosted game. So looks like DumoOS is preventing the server connections for xbox even with geo-filtering disabled.

Let me know if there is any more info I can capture to help diagnose the problem.

Looks like its time to downgrade yet again... 

Cause this is all I'm seeing with Duma OS, and that is if I get into a match.

blops4 migrating.png

16 minutes ago, david said:

I can confirm. I just downgraded back to .j and I am now on servers.

I am on PS4 and experiencing the exact same thing. I have to reboot the router a couple times a day whenever it starts only connecting to peers. I can tell they are peers, because the lag in absolutely horrible with ping spikes well over 200-300ms. Flushing cloud does not work at all because it just says the geo-filter cannot be loaded after that.. which prompts another reload.

1 minute ago, WilliamCL57 said:

I am on PS4 and experiencing the exact same thing. I have to reboot the router a couple times a day whenever it starts only connecting to peers. I can tell they are peers, because the lag in absolutely horrible with ping spikes well over 200-300ms. Flushing cloud does not work at all because it just says the geo-filter cannot be loaded after that.. which prompts another reload.

If you have an R1 I'd recommend downgrading. 

• Administrators

Thanks everyone, I've let a colleague know so they can try to reproduce/get a dev input if needed.

Also just running with an idea from another post do the following:

1. Downgrade to original R1 Firmware
  2. Upgrade to DumaOS with preserve settings DISABLED i.e. you do not want it to keep any of your settings into the upgrade

This should give you a completely clean install. Then please try using DumaOS as you normally would, does this improve?

• Netduma Staff
14 hours ago, Foedus Gratiae said:

I can confirm. I just downgraded back to .j and I am now on servers.

14 hours ago, david said:

14 hours ago, WilliamCL57 said:

Could you guys confirm a few things for me?

- Which game mode are you playing?

- What console are you playing on?

- Do you have an open NAT?

- How long does it take for you to find a game on DumaOS with the Geo-Filter disabled? (No devices added)

- How long does it take for you to find a game on the old firmware with the Geo-Filter disabled? (No devices added)

- Have you tried rebooting or factory resetting the router?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Netduma Jack said:

- How long does it take for you to find a game on DumaOS with the Geo-Filter disabled? (No devices added)

- How long does it take for you to find a game on the old firmware with the Geo-Filter disabled? (No devices added)

Thanks!

3 plus minutes for a peer to peer lobby whether the geo filter is on or off.  All modes, i havent downgraded yet, hoping for a hotfix.  I just let whoever im playing with host tge lobbies

59 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Thanks!

I believe the problem was in all game modes but I was specifically testing in core team deathmatch

Xbox One X

Open NAT reported by Xbox network settings (sometimes moderate when I have dual NAT because internet router is in router mode but have tested in both router and modem mode)

I've not measured it and varies depending on time of day but probably about 30-60 seconds to find a peer hosted game

Again varies depending on time of day but at peek time usually under 10 seconds for core team deathmatch

Yes tried both rebooting and factory reset multiple times as well as cold restart of xbox each time as well and rebooting internet router/modem.

Florida user here. I was having the same issue with the DumaOS.  After the last patch it would not give me a dedi.  It was before, but seemed like something was off regardless.  I was catching dedis but they were in califorina, new york, etc. Never in Georgia or Florida where i usually am matched.  I used speedguide.net to look up some of the peer connections to see they were from another dedicated server provider (total server solutions, llc) outside of the usual choopa, vultr, etc.  But last night and the day before i had nothing but peer connections and nothing i tried would change that, not even ending the app and returning in spectator mode.  However, once i rolled to R1-v-1-03-6j. I consistently was placed on a dedicated server in georgia with a 20ms ping.  The games were noticeably better. Even ended with a 20 and 1 all gun. with my A+ bufferbloat 90% down 50% up config.

core TDM

PS4 non Pro

NAT Open

Unsure

The old firmware finds games almost instantly.

I have not factory reset the router besides trying a restore 2 weeks ago.

I have configured the following:

Port forwarding

3074 udp

3076 udp

9308 udp

hypertraffic

udp:bothport:3074

udpbothport:3076

tcp:dport:3074

these are the black ops 3 settings that the man himself A7legit shared on twitter.  They seem to still work quite well.

I hope we  can find a solution soon and thanks for all the Duma Team's as well as forum contributors hard work.

1 hour ago, Netduma Jack said:

Thanks!

The issue is with the OS.  Theres something that is blocking us from the servers.  If one of my friends host the lobby my geofilter works perfect, i just cant be the party leader.

• Netduma Staff

Hey guys - I just opened a thread to get to the bottom of this. If you could all check it out that'd be awesome! Take a look and post here: 

I'm going to lock this thread as it's hard to keep track of all the reports of this issue. Discussing this in one place should be more effective!