kssxs

IPv6 - Current and future support level?

My ISP supports IPv6, and I would like to start using it in my network.  The benefits of a no-NAT configuration are, I believe, self-explanatory.

Just a quick few questions with regards to IPv6 support on the R1:

1) What is its current state with regards to usage?  Can I enable it and expect to use v6 on my network successfully in a dual-stack configuration the same as a lot of other third-party routers out there?

2) The current implementation on the R1 seems to be very basic.  We can't see any v6 addresses that are assigned (DHCP or otherwise) to the R1, and can't see nor modify any relevant info on its status or LAN details.  Is this going to be improved over time and is there a timeline for it?  I realize you're busy with bug fixes and newer betas, etc, but this IS 2018 and the R1 needs to be future-proof to some degree, so this is a big area for improvement.

3) If nothing else right now, can we at least get support for console IPv6 support so that we can benefit from the no-NAT nature of v6 for our Xboxes?

Thanks for reading!

1. You can enable it yes and would have basic functionality but you may encounter issues with QoS or with it not applying properly to your Xbox for example
  2. The devs may correct me on this but it is definitely in the pipeline to optimise and expand IPv6 support though I don't think it's on the immediate horizon.
  3. I'm not a dev but I think it would be harder to just implement that for one device rather than the whole system

IPV6 can be used on the XR700 (not tested it on the XR500 yet as I am using that as an AP) and I have used it as per my isp's setup requirements. That is probably due to there being Netgear software intertwined with dumaOS

As there is no significant improvement to a gaming experience and also the fact that IPV6 balls up the QOS I disabled it.

2018-11-28.png

10 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

IPV6 can be used on the XR700 (not tested it on the XR500 yet as I am using that as an AP) and I have used it as per my isp's setup requirements. That is probably due to there being Netgear software intertwined with dumaOS

As there is no significant improvement to a gaming experience and also the fact that IPV6 balls up the QOS I disabled it.

2018-11-28.png

With all of the recent issues with BO4, and Moderate NAT (and of course previous and future games as well), IPv6 is an easy answer and seeing as how it's the future of the Internet, I think it's better to get on that train ASAP rather than waiting any longer.  We're far too behind on general implementation as it is.  A lot of ISP's and now most third-party routers support it as well by default.

As for QoS and Bufferbloat.. I'm hoping Netduma engineers figure this out eventually.  For now, I've got a 300 Mbit up and down fiber setup, so I don't have congestion issues regardless.  My only issues are NAT related, and IPv6 solves those.

Hence the wanting of those features sooner rather than later ;) .