Pingplotter results not as good as i hoped

I recently got the XR500 and i've been playing around with the settings but still couldn't get an A+ on DSLReports, then I saw threads on here that said I should use pingplotter to test. After following the walk through on here on how to perform the test, I found i was still getting notable spikes, and this is with my internet running virtually idle. I have 380/20 speeds and have my QoS set to always on 70/70. Anyone have any ideas, could this be a problem with my ISP, or am i missing something? Appreciate any help.

5ea6205ce1b74da0761bb168933f36ee.png

I would say it is your connection/isp, I have just checked and you are on Virginmedia. Sorry to tell you that they are the worse isp for gaming and ping spikes. make sure your superhub is in modem only mode (which it should be anyway if connecting another router) and connect your pc directly into the back of your vm hub into the 1 active lan port and re-run the pingplotter test......this will prove that your pingplotter result is identical to the 1 you have just submitted. I ditched VM 3 years ago as a stable ping and no spiking is better for me than fast speeds. I get 78down and 19up and I am glad I left VM it was worth the speed sacrifice.

Just type  "virginmedia pingplotter results" and look at images to see what I mean about virginmedia. 

My Pingplotter Graph!

2018-11-27.png

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! Big Dog's advice above is great - some people love Virgin lines, some people detest them. Pingplotter results are a measure of your line / equipment quality, so it might not necessarily be your virgin line to blame. Try switching out your Ethernet cables, make sure you aren't downloading when you run the test as well. You should also try pinging Twitter.com and see if your results vary :)

Thanks for the replies, i'll try and experiment with some different cables, I have my superhub in modem mode and i'm using the ethernet closest to the fibre cable, i'll make sure i use ethernet port 1 see if that helps, I've been considering changing ISP for a while but I was hoping someone could come up with a package that rivals them for bandwidth as i have a large family and hence a LOT of devices connected. I've heard good things about BT Infinity, maybe i'll give them a chance.

1 hour ago, ndwsn said:

Thanks for the replies, i'll try and experiment with some different cables, I have my superhub in modem mode and i'm using the ethernet closest to the fibre cable, i'll make sure i use ethernet port 1 see if that helps, I've been considering changing ISP for a while but I was hoping someone could come up with a package that rivals them for bandwidth as i have a large family and hence a LOT of devices connected. I've heard good things about BT Infinity, maybe i'll give them a chance.

I had BT infinity 2 package but changed to talktalk which were excellent for gaming. I am with idnet now as I had a personal issue with talktalk which had nothing to do with my internet service.You maybe in a lucky area that is either.gfast enabled or ultrafast ready. Wish I was as the only other alternative for me is virgin and I have no intentions of ever going back down that road.

1 hour ago, BIG__DOG said:

I had BT infinity 2 package but changed to talktalk which were excellent for gaming. I am with idnet now as I had a personal issue with talktalk which had nothing to do with my internet service.You maybe in a lucky area that is either.gfast enabled or ultrafast ready. Wish I was as the only other alternative for me is virgin and I have no intentions of ever going back down that road.

After doing some research i find my self in the unfortunate situation that where i am located the best alternative to VM is 35/5 FTTC. I just don't think that would cut it. Having said that I'm now wondering whether the XR500 is going to be cost effective for me, as the only reason I bought this instead of a cheaper option is for the Duma OS and the QoS was a main selling point for me.  Think i'm going to have consider returning the router which sucks.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think your first focus should be on doing a Ping Plotter test direct to the modem then taking those results to the ISP to see if there is anything they can do to improve its stability

The main problem with that is, VM only consider your BB to have problems if its not working at all, I was suffering with packet loss for months and hat to fight tooth and nail to get it sorted. I have ordered some new cat7 ethernet cables from amazon just to rule any cable issues out. Hopefully that works and i will update in a couple of days

20 minutes ago, ndwsn said:

The main problem with that is, VM only consider your BB to have problems if its not working at all, I was suffering with packet loss for months and hat to fight tooth and nail to get it sorted. I have ordered some new cat7 ethernet cables from amazon just to rule any cable issues out. Hopefully that works and i will update in a couple of days

make sure they are shielded (STP) and not unshielded (UTP).

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think your first focus should be on doing a Ping Plotter test direct to the modem then taking those results to the ISP to see if there is anything they can do to improve its stability

What he said!!

I walked right in to mine, expecting it to be a problem with my line and they said well lets try this new modem first and sure enough that fixed it. 

• Netduma Staff
20 minutes ago, Pinnskii said:

What he said!!

I walked right in to mine, expecting it to be a problem with my line and they said well lets try this new modem first and sure enough that fixed it. 

Being there in person with an ISP is often the only way - they can't exactly boot you out of their store! 

Are these results any good? I was having an issue with the XR500 on 2.4Ghz where it is slow to load pages on popular websites like Amazon.com etc. I tested my speeds and they are fine 400/20, I checked for interference with other WiFi networks and changed channel on Xr500, however when I did a PingPlotter on twitter.com and Google.com connected directly to the modem I got these results.

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

• Administrators

Looks like you have some jitter on your line which could be the cause of your problems. Two questions:

1. Was anything using your Internet heavily at the time?
  2. Was this done via wired or wireless?

• Administrators

OK. I'd recommend contacting your Internet Provider with these results as this is not a stable connection.

Let them know how you ran the test. They can then test your line and hopefully make adjustments to improve it.