Geo-Filter doesn't work? Can't find (dedicated server) games

Moisala

Hey,

I updated my R1 to DumaOS yesterday. I followed the basic tutorials.  

I can't find dedicated server games anymore (NHL 19 or CoD Black Ops 4). I did find versus game in NHL 19 (I think they are pure peer to peer). My 1vs1 sample size is only 1 game, but it was weird that my opponent was from North America (I live in Finland and there should be plenty of opponents nearby).

Please find attached pictures of my DumaOS settings. I can't figure out what's wrong as I could play just fine before the DumaOS update.

I also tried to tinker with the Geo-Filter settings as the default (basic setup) didn't seem to work. No help.

• I tried Strict checked and unchecked.
  • Different distances 1000 - 15000km.
  • Filtering/Spectating mode
  • Ping-assist + Fast search

Something wrong with my Network settings?

The only time something happened on Geo-Filter map was when I tried to find a Blackout match in CoD. NOTHING when I play NHL 19.

CoD BO4.JPG

NHL 19 error message when it can't find a match.

Failed to find an opponent.jpg

Geo-Filter settings

Geo-Filter.JPG

Network Map

Network Setup.JPG

PS4 Connection Status

PS4 Connection Status.jpg

NAT 2

PS4 NAT 2.jpg

QoS Settings

QoS.JPG

QoS Settings 2

QoS2.JPG

NHL 19 Search countdown. It just stops searching before the countdown ends  and gives me the error message "Failed to find an opponent".

Searching game.jpg

Edited by Moisala
Added text + titles for images

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! Lets get to the bottom of it.

With your Geo-Filter on Spectating Mode, the R1 will act just like a normal router. With this in mind, this seems to me like it could be an issue with the game itself.

If you remove the Netduma R1 from your network entirely, are you able to connect? It'd be very weird if you could. The Netduma R1 looks like it's doing everything it's supposed to do - you've got an open NAT, so there's no real reason why it should be the cause of the issue.

I'd also recommend checking the server status for NHL - it's highly likely that there's server issues on their end that is causing this.

Cheers for the reply Jack,

I did some testing and found out the following:

I can play if I don't limit the distance.

I tested both, NHL 19 and Call of Duty Black Ops 4.

Both games want to connect to a server in North America. NHL wants to connect to a server on the west coast (LA?) and CoD to a server on the east coast. That means I can't join any games if I limit the distance. I'm guessing the match making servers are located in the USA?

NHL 19 (was able to join the games because I set the Distance to over 10 000km (to cover the NA Continent)):

As I was playing, nothing else was popping up on the map.

1809535183_NHLLoginserver.thumb.jpeg.81f55cce384da3748deb114b0b5822a2.jpeg

Call of Duty (could not join the games (Blackout mode) as it tried to connect to USA Eeast)

Something pops up in Ireland (the game server itself?)

416591040_CoDdistanceproblem.thumb.JPG.ad73b49abae4eb33af85c85d8885083c.JPG

The error message this one gave (in game):

1045465031_CoDcantjoinlobby.thumb.jpg.265b88cc4d82dc02fd581468a4ea17a5.jpg

I've tried several times already. If the USA server doesn't fit "under the umbrella", I can't join the game. 

So if I want to play, I have to include those by not limiting the distance. 

I'm not surprised to see something like this in EA's game - constant connection to a server located on the other side of the planet.  Tha't can't be good for the connection. I really hope the dedicated (game servers) aren't exclusively on US soil. I'm hoping this is, like I previously mentioned, a match-making server of some sort and real dedicated game hosting server is located somewhere much closer but for some reason is hidden from the Geo-Filter map.

What I find surprising is what happens with Call of Duty. Looks similar to the EA's NHL situation...

• Netduma Staff

If you allow the servers in the US are you able to play with a smaller radius? If you still struggle, it's possible these servers are part of a server 'bank' (multiple servers in the same building). Each server in the bank would need to be 'allowed' before you could play with a smaller radius.

That being said, this is indeed typical of EA servers. Every game they build - Fifa in included - uses this garbage server network. Players have struggled to get a decent server in Fifa for years.

I could have sworn that one of the actual host servers could be found in Ireland, which would be ideal.

Black Ops 4 has a better server infrastructure - what happens if you set Ping Assist to 60ms for CoD?

Thanks Jack,

It worked with NHL. If I allow the US servers -  which by the way are all  located in the same spot on the map  ("server bank" like you said) -  I can play with smaller radius. I keep adding/allowing the US servers and so far I've found these.

image.thumb.png.747e8cec3e499f14c58da4de2fd40e40.png

If I get an error message "Failed to find an opponent" in game before the countdown ends, I know it happens because the game I was offered was outside the search parameters (outside the radius). 

And no, so far no luck with finding a host server from Ireland when playing NHL.  I'm still slightly optimistic and hoping there is a server in Ireland for team matches. I'll know it when we play team matches the next time.  These servers I allowed  were found when searching for drop-in matches (games with random people). 

I also tried those settings you suggested for CoDimage.thumb.png.25b3437588e5a8df5e4a984182197ac2.png

What happened was: 

Found a server in Ireland when searching for Blackout game.

1447368487_CoDsearchIrelandserver.jpeg.4830707f0c311c7707c32316997b1d5a.jpeg

When the game started, a second  icon popped up - the host?

2086933551_CoDduringBlackout.jpeg.d76526fb7d041d1a67b4e98b82830b0f.jpeg

And yes, I was able to play CoD with these settings!

• Administrators

Thanks for the update -that may have been the game's host. Equally, it could just have been another player in the game. Given it's size, my guess is it was a server hosting the game which we do not yet have categorised as a server.