Wireless dropping and possible anti-buffer not either

Evangelisuk

Wireless will randomly and quite frequently drop. It will come back up without internet.

Anti-buffer is set to 70/70 and set to apply always ( is that an issue? ) Pc is set as priority traffic anyway.

Getting huge increases in ping to game im playing atm when others are using the internet - even if ive limited those devices bandwidth allowance ect.

Maybe im just missing something or did something incorrectly im not sure.

• Netduma Staff

What speeds are you guys on? If your speeds are lower than about 25mbps then Netflix will struggle to get the bandwidth it needs. If you're watching 4k, even more so. That's going to put a massive strain on your whole network.

Give your consoles more bandwidth through Bandwidth Allocation. You could even untick Share Excess if the device running Netflix still has enough bandwidth to use.

For the WiFi drops, download a channel analyser and find the best WiFi channel for your area, then select that in settings.

Picked the best channel + yes same in my house is video/tv streaming , not always Netflix. Lower than 25mbs sadly with no better connection planned for the next 100 years. Simply waiting and hoping for a quick release of 5G ( also hoping not just focused in big city areas ).

• Administrators

I recommend you follow this guide to get QoS setup optimally. You should easily be able to use high bandwidth applications like Netflix and game at the same time if you get your settings right: 

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos

• Netduma Staff
12 hours ago, Evangelisuk said:

Aye those instructions are how i first set everything up to be honest. Will see how running on a stronger/more suitable channel goes with the wifi. Will try bufferbloat on priority traffic only instead of always to see if that makes a change.

Alrighty fair enough - let us know how that goes and we'll go from there :)

On 11/22/2018 at 12:25 PM, Netduma Jack said:

What speeds are you guys on? If your speeds are lower than about 25mbps then Netflix will struggle to get the bandwidth it needs. If you're watching 4k, even more so. That's going to put a massive strain on your whole network.

Give your consoles more bandwidth through Bandwidth Allocation. You could even untick Share Excess if the device running Netflix still has enough bandwidth to use.

For the WiFi drops, download a channel analyser and find the best WiFi channel for your area, then select that in settings.

I pay for 80 down and 20 up from BT. Their speed test tells me I get 80 down and 20 up but Speedtest.net tells a very different story of just about 40 down and around 15 up.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Azlios said:

I pay for 80 down and 20 up from BT. Their speed test tells me I get 80 down and 20 up but Speedtest.net tells a very different story of just about 40 down and around 15 up.

You have to go through their centres before hitting the open internet so all it really tells you is that there probably isn't an issue from your end to their centre and the issue is probably after this. For speedtest.net I know it's simple but make sure its using the closest server possible

Short time period but the wifi doesnt seem to have dropped!

Bad news is my ping is sky rocketing when someone is streaming video in the house even with all the above settings in place.

I have unticked share excess so that said devices cant take more than what i have specified and see how it goes from there.

Im playing a game called Overthrow ( 1 man project remake of Paragon )  which runs on a peer host system. At the lobby join it will show

around 150ms which is bareable and in game that can rise to 200 ( actually still bareable ) but i will get loads of spikes which leave my movement rubberbanding ect

and this only happens when theres someone using a nice chunk of the bandwidth.

Even with said streaming devices limited and there should be loads of connection left to not ruin my ping its still happening all the time and its extremely bad.

47 minutes ago, Evangelisuk said:

Short time period but the wifi doesnt seem to have dropped!

Bad news is my ping is sky rocketing when someone is streaming video in the house even with all the above settings in place.

I have unticked share excess so that said devices cant take more than what i have specified and see how it goes from there.

Im playing a game called Overthrow ( 1 man project remake of Paragon )  which runs on a peer host system. At the lobby join it will show

around 150ms which is bareable and in game that can rise to 200 ( actually still bareable ) but i will get loads of spikes which leave my movement rubberbanding ect

and this only happens when theres someone using a nice chunk of the bandwidth.

Even with said streaming devices limited and there should be loads of connection left to not ruin my ping its still happening all the time and its extremely bad.

I get exactly the same issue on Rocket League on PC, I can sit happily playing at a solid unmoving ping but as soon as someone turns on Netflix on the Fire TV stick my ping will bounce between 200 and 30 constantly making it unplayable. This is even with me having bufferbloat set at 70/70 on always and with me giving my pc more bandwidth but if I turn off share excess they complain because Netflix starts to buffer.

• Administrators

Hi both - could you do this please:

1. Set Anti-Bufferbloat to Never and run a speedtest. 
  2. Enter those exact speeds in Anti-Bufferbloat's advanced options (click the three line, 'burger' menu in the corner of the panel
  3. Now set Anti-Bufferbloat to 'High Priority Traffic Detecetd
  4. Finally, move the sliders to an even lower amount. Try 50%

That will prevent the rest of the house from causing you to lag.

Just one other thing - are either of you gaming wirelessly? If so, the lag could be a wireless issue rather than a bandwidth issue

56 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi both - could you do this please:

1. Set Anti-Bufferbloat to Never and run a speedtest. 
  2. Enter those exact speeds in Anti-Bufferbloat's advanced options (click the three line, 'burger' menu in the corner of the panel
  3. Now set Anti-Bufferbloat to 'High Priority Traffic Detecetd
  4. Finally, move the sliders to an even lower amount. Try 50%

That will prevent the rest of the house from causing you to lag.

Just one other thing - are either of you gaming wirelessly? If so, the lag could be a wireless issue rather than a bandwidth issue

I'm playing through a BT powerline adapter, as my router is three stories away from my room. Can't run a ethernet cable all the way through the house so they were the only solution. I do have a feeling the powerline adapters are causing issues but i'm not sure theres much i can do about it.

Ahhh someone help me im sick of this crap! xD    So now anything using the Netduma wifi or cabled is getting almost no downloads speed at all. This is with Qos set to never and correct bandwidth numbers in. Multiple devices testes wifi and cable on main sky router and getting expected speeds. Replaced wifi device on pc and moved router closer for a stronger more consistent signal. Dowload speed was at 1mbs as opposed to 22-25 mbps. Allocate maximum bandwidth to Pc and got a small increase to 5mbps. Upload remains unaffected in all scenarios.

• Administrators

Could you factory reset your R1 please. Something seems to have gone wrong. Click the ‘i’ icon in the top right corner to bring up the option. After that things should be fine. 

Just remember after a factory reset the WiFi password defaults to ‘netdumar1’

After that follow the QoS guide I gave you above please

So I ran BTs speed test to see if i could get down to the problem plaguing my internet and these were the results. I am getting around 76Mbps from the exchange to my house but as soon as it comes out the router it drops to around half, this is the same when I'm on both power line adaptors and also properly hard wired. BT wont help as they say everything is all fine which to be fair it sort of is on their end as they are supplying the right speed its just when I try get it out of my router it is halfed.

(This was with QoS turned off so I could get a more accurate result)

Super disappointing news but just removed Netduma from my set up and my speed is right where it should be, I'm getting 72Mbps in my third floor bedroom. So My Netduma is 100% destroying my speeds.

BTTest.jpg

• Administrators

Good job in narrowing it down. I think at this point the problem is likely to be a hardware issue, probably with the R1 but possibly with the Ethernet cables. The one thing that’s puzzling is the fact the speed is almost exactly halved. 

Are you able to try one more thing - factory reset your R1. Click the ‘i’ in the top right corner to open the option. See if that changes anything. 

If not, could you email us at [email protected] about a replacement. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

Good job in narrowing it down. I think at this point the problem is likely to be a hardware issue, probably with the R1 but possibly with the Ethernet cables. The one thing that’s puzzling is the fact the speed is almost exactly halved. 

Are you able to try one more thing - factory reset your R1. Click the ‘i’ in the top right corner to open the option. See if that changes anything. 

If not, could you email us at [email protected] about a replacement. Thanks. 

So I had unplugged for about an hour the openreach modem and duma.  Home hub had been off for about a week, decided to set the duma back up through the home hub, factory reset everything, put it back in the DMZ of the homehub and set up QoS all properly and It's coming through at the speeds it should now. So all good in that regard, only worried about the wifi drop issue again that I had before with the home hub being plugged in. But I also still lag horribly on Rocket League on PC when someone is watching something on the Fire TV Stick as it uses and absolute mega ton of data, its running like 4-5Mbps even when im giving it only 1% on the flower and i got the sliders at 50%. I never lag when the kids are watching netflix on their iPads or phones but as soon as the fire tv is turned on my ping is all over the place. Going to try and see if I can change some settings on it, might have to sacrifice some picture quality so I can get some good gaming in.

Also might be a bit late for me to get a replacement, I've had my Duma since Oct 2015

23 hours ago, Azlios said:

So I had unplugged for about an hour the openreach modem and duma.  Home hub had been off for about a week, decided to set the duma back up through the home hub, factory reset everything, put it back in the DMZ of the homehub and set up QoS all properly and It's coming through at the speeds it should now. So all good in that regard, only worried about the wifi drop issue again that I had before with the home hub being plugged in. But I also still lag horribly on Rocket League on PC when someone is watching something on the Fire TV Stick as it uses and absolute mega ton of data, its running like 4-5Mbps even when im giving it only 1% on the flower and i got the sliders at 50%. I never lag when the kids are watching netflix on their iPads or phones but as soon as the fire tv is turned on my ping is all over the place. Going to try and see if I can change some settings on it, might have to sacrifice some picture quality so I can get some good gaming in.

Also might be a bit late for me to get a replacement, I've had my Duma since Oct 2015

sigh, so wifi dropped just now. evidently an issue between my home hub and duma. I am 98% sure it is something to do with when renewing the DHCP lease.

• Netduma Staff
14 hours ago, Azlios said:

sigh, so wifi dropped just now. evidently an issue between my home hub and duma. I am 98% sure it is something to do with when renewing the DHCP lease.

I'd definitely recommend dropping us an email at [email protected]. If you extend your lease time using DHCP does that change the frequency or WiFi drops? Have you tried setting static IP's for the affected devices?

2 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

I'd definitely recommend dropping us an email at [email protected]. If you extend your lease time using DHCP does that change the frequency or WiFi drops? Have you tried setting static IP's for the affected devices?

Yes, if I extend the lease time on the duma to the max, 168 hours, it will drop exactly a week after I changed the settings. Then will continue to drop once a week. Forcing me to manually change the wifi channel to get the wifi back. 

When I used the Duma with my Openreach modem it only dropped once over the course of two and a half weeks, but the Openreach modem cuts my speed in half as I found out it has some stupid "advanced features" flashed onto it and I can't access the gui as the IP they supplied doesn't connect me to anything. I would give the affected devices static IPs but it is every single wifi device that drops, LAN is perfect. My PC and Xbox have never lost connection ever, its just the rest of the family that use the wifi and who normally alert me to the issue.

This wifi drop issue only started when I got my Home Hub 5 and my Smart Hub, up until then the duma worked perfectly for about 2 years with no problems what so ever, even with it having taken a few knocks from the kids.