GUI glitch? 2.3.2.32 (still)

Guest Killhippie

Guest Killhippie

Well I'm back on the XR500 I missed its features to much after a few days and I noticed under wireless Status and Guest wireless there seems to be an extra ')''  like this 'Auto(3(p)+7(s))' I take it this is just a GUI glitch? However I was wondering if its still in the latest versions of DumaOS that the Netgear users are still waiting for? Its hard to watch the R1 leap forward so far and know that Netgear is the sole reason that XR450/XR500500 users are so far behind now. <sigh> Anyway well done on your R1 router, it shows what can be done. Netgear should take notice...

• Netduma Staff

Hi Killhippie - I'm unsure about this bug myself so I'll forward it to a developer. Think of it this way though: the R1 is only one firmware version ahead of the XR500. It won't be long before Netgear implement this stuff on their own routers; there's far more risk for Netgear if they release buggy firmware, so I'm not surprised they take longer to test it.

Guest Killhippie
30 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Yeh XR500user is correct, I checked with a developer just in case. It's not a bug, logically it's correct. :)

This one is one of the few logically correct routers then. :)  I’ve seen a few netgear routers that don’t show that. 

Guest Killhippie
20 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hi Killhippie - I'm unsure about this bug myself so I'll forward it to a developer. Think of it this way though: the R1 is only one firmware version ahead of the XR500. It won't be long before Netgear implement this stuff on their own routers; there's far more risk for Netgear if they release buggy firmware, so I'm not surprised they take longer to test it.

The issue is Jack the R1 is your router  you can take more risks but you’re still putting out quality firmware, netgear have to many moving parts that need oiling and should at least update  DumaOS when needed, even if the base code on their side does not need a fix. So when you update, all routers get the gaming part of the update. Well in an ideal world that makes sense to me.

Thanks for the info Jack. At the end of the day the first Netgear DumaOS router is last to get the latest features, that’s either by accident but seems odd as surely they will sell more cheaper units or the joy of marketing when you are trying to shift a £450 behemoth and it needs a extra feature to help it sell. I’m probably  cynical  and I'll never really know, but I do know where I’d place my bet.    ;)   

• Netduma Staff
19 hours ago, Killhippie said:

The issue is Jack the R1 is your router  you can take more risks but you’re still putting out quality firmware, netgear have to many moving parts that need oiling and should at least update  DumaOS when needed, even if the base code on their side does not need a fix. So when you update, all routers get the gaming part of the update. Well in an ideal world that makes sense to me.

Thanks for the info Jack. At the end of the day the first Netgear DumaOS router is last to get the latest features, that’s either by accident but seems odd as surely they will sell more cheaper units or the joy of marketing when you are trying to shift a £450 behemoth and it needs a extra feature to help it sell. I’m probably  cynical  and I'll never really know, but I do know where I’d place my bet.    ;)   

Yeh I understand what you're saying. Bear this in mind though - Netgear are massive, which means understandably it takes longer for them to adapt to a new workflow. Netgear are working overtime to adapt their way of working now that we're partnered up with them. Eventually, DumaOS upgrades may be able to roll out at the same time for all hardware as a result of the effort Netgear are putting in. It's a case of not being able to see the hard work happening behind the scenes - expect change in the future :) 

Guest Killhippie
On 11/22/2018 at 11:01 AM, Netduma Jack said:

Yeh I understand what you're saying. Bear this in mind though - Netgear are massive, which means understandably it takes longer for them to adapt to a new workflow. Netgear are working overtime to adapt their way of working now that we're partnered up with them. Eventually, DumaOS upgrades may be able to roll out at the same time for all hardware as a result of the effort Netgear are putting in. It's a case of not being able to see the hard work happening behind the scenes - expect change in the future :) 

I really hope so, jack.  :) Right now  Netgears track record is not great and I have used their hardware off and on for over a decade. The day they update their code properly is the day I'll believe they have really changed I guess.  I am very cynical of these big companies and for good reason I believe. For instance when the R7800 and R9000 was released in 2016 Netgear were using version 1.0 of miniupnd thats 13 years old now. They were still using that in in 2017. If Voxel, a third part firmware writer similar to RMerlin can update their code and do a full time job too, why cant the actual firmware writers do this? RMerlin writes great code for Asus routers and Asus borrow from his fixes too, its like a symbiotic relationship. Netgear refuse all outside help.

This year Voxel noticed the R7800 and R9000 and XR500 were all using different versions of OpenSSL. The firmware writers should be updating to the latest versions across the board to keep up with security and improving router performance. They are not though because Voxel has to keep updating it for the R7800 and R9000. The XR500 at launch was using OpenSSL version 1.0.2n with hardware acceleration, yet other routers were using OpenSSL 0.97f from march 2005. The R7800 got updated to 1.0.2.h because of a security issue, before that it was also using 12 year old code and I'm not sure if that version been updated since the jump to 1.0.2.h. Netgear don't always publish their GPL source code when they should either which makes it hard to know what's going on, they are meant to publish it for each update really.  Issues with firmware like these leave me wondering why this even happens, and gets though QA when people with full time jobs can compile firmware with the latest packages in their spare time, yet Netgear with full time coders can't. I really hope things change for the better, or actually have, or that Netduma gets to look at the source code for the XR450, XR500 and XR700 and get things updated properly, because I doubt the people writing Netgears firmware are.  :(

34 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

I really hope so, jack.  :) Right now  Netgears track record is not great and I have used their hardware off and on for over a decade. The day they update their code properly is the day I'll believe they have really changed I guess.  I am very cynical of these big companies and for good reason I believe. For instance when the R7800 and R9000 was released in 2016 Netgear were using version 1.0 of miniupnd thats 13 years old now. They were still using that in in 2017. If Voxel, a third part firmware writer similar to RMerlin can update their code and do a full time job too, why cant the actual firmware writers do this? RMerlin writes great code for Asus routers and Asus borrow from his fixes too, its like a symbiotic relationship. Netgear refuse all outside help.

This year Voxel noticed the R7800 and R9000 and XR500 were all using different versions of OpenSSL. The firmware writers should be updating to the latest versions across the board to keep up with security and improving router performance. They are not though because Voxel has to keep updating it for the R7800 and R9000. The XR500 at launch was using OpenSSL version 1.0.2n with hardware acceleration, yet other routers were using OpenSSL 0.97f from march 2005. The R7800 got updated to 1.0.2.h because of a security issue, before that it was also using 12 year old code and I'm not sure if that version been updated since the jump to 1.0.2.h. Netgear don't always publish their GPL source code when they should either which makes it hard to know what's going on, they are meant to publish it for each update really.  Issues with firmware like these leave me wondering why this even happens, and gets though QA when people with full time jobs can compile firmware with the latest packages in their spare time, yet Netgear with full time coders can't. I really hope things change for the better, or actually have, or that Netduma gets to look at the source code for the XR450, XR500 and XR700 and get things updated properly, because I doubt the people writing Netgears firmware are.  :(

34 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Exactly the reasons I used Voxels firmware on my R7800 ,I actually sold it to my friend and he uses it with bt FTTP with no issues,I could believe that Netgear was using mini upnp from the dark ages ,shame Voxel could not do anything with the 500, for me this router seems to be getting left behind by Netgear ,I know there slow with firmwares but I purchased this to be on Netduma future roadmap.however my XR500 does work great with no issues ,I work offshore for 3 weeks at a time and it never drops in the time I’m away ,daughter would soon tell me as a YouTube queen 😂,really this is the best router for gaming even though the Asus Rog AX is coming or already is but that thing will be bugged just like the first one ,think patience may be are key , and like seeing some of the stuff you put on SNB forums.