Please advise

I have finally installed the XR500 using my VM Super hub 3 as a modem. Instal went exceptionally well, wifi on all devices giving 200 + mbps down 12 mbps up .connection strong and stable. Have not yet tested a  wired connection but would expect better results. However there is a speed drop in the back bedrooms, down to 110 mbps but still 12 up.

Its a victorian semi with all the original solid oak doors in sittue.

Should i just go with the flow and use a wired or powerline connection, or is there a way to make the Router punch a stronger signal to theae back bedrooms

Any advise welkcome

Edited by THE COLLATOR
Spelling mistake

Guest Killhippie
26 minutes ago, THE COLLATOR said:

I have finally installed the XR500 using my VM Super hub 3 as a modem. Instal went exceptionally well, wifi on all devices giving 200 + mbps down 12 mbps up .connection strong and stable. Have not yet tested a  wired connection but would expect better results. However there is a speed drop in the back bedrooms, down to 110 mbps but still 12 up.

Its a victorian semi with all the original solid oak doors in sittue.

Should i just go with the flow and use a wired or powerline connection, or is there a way to make the Router punch a stronger signal to theae back bedrooms

Any advise welkcome

I would tbh avoid powerline adaptors as they can introduce noise into the system. Personally I would run a Ethernet cable and switch, or use an Extender. Tbh though 110Mb should be more than enough for bedroom use, 4K HDR streaming uses about 25Mbps tops, so 110 should be fine, Wi-Fi has its limits, Ethernet is always the way to go. Are you using 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz separated or just one SSID?

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! The advice above is great - it seems like you're getting pretty great speeds even despite the speed drop. If you're really wanting to get max speeds in those two bedrooms then a powerline adapter is always an option to explore, but as Killhippie said it can just overcomplicate things.

Thanks both

Strange am getting slower  speed less than 100 mbps when i used a direct  ethernet connection to my tablet using an adapter  and i was les the 4 m away from the route.  So does the stronger ethernet connection only wk with a direct link to a pc

Oh by the way killhippie i have sent u a pm W

• Administrators

That's possible the type of Ethernet cable you are using. If it's a CAT5 cable, its speeds are limited to 100mbps. A CAT5e, CAT6 or CAT7 cable will be able to reach 1GB.

Equally, it could be the device that is limited to 100mbps.

1 hour ago, THE COLLATOR said:

My  netgear range extender has fast lane technology installed should i engage that when using it wirh the xr500 or keep them separate

If fast lane . Then is it 2.4 then 5ghz or the other way round 5 is the stronger in my case

2.4ghz has better range, lower speed........5ghz has greater speed but less range.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BIG__DOG said:

2.4ghz has better range, lower speed........5ghz has greater speed but less range.

Perfect description. 2.4GHz is limited to about 70mbps. So if you need a device to have more than that, switch to 5GHz.

I would imagine you can keep the extender's fast lane tech going without it causing problems. Can't say for certain though, best to ask on the NETGEAR forum in the Extender section