Anti Bufferbloat Sliders?

27 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Can you post a screenshot of the entire QoS page please with the Bandwidth Allocation share excess menu open also please

Sure, here you go. I wouldn't normally have the iPad set to 96% it was more of a test to see if the setting was working and reserving the bandwidth.

netgear 1.jpg

netgear 2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for that, were you doing both tests at the same time by any chance? If so they would split the bandwidth available 52 between both the tests

Yes, I had the Xbox downloading a game and then I set the speedtest going after I set the iPad to have 96% of the download bandwidth which equates to 50Mbps, they split the traffic pretty much like you said but I don’t understand why that would happen when I am effectively telling the system to give all bandwidth to the iPad? 

37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Because share excess is enabled its trying to ensure both devices have bandwidth. As downloads will download as fast as possible because theyre going at the same time they'll go halves

Right ok thanks, 

What happens then if I set aside 25Mbps for the Nvidia shield to make sure it has enough bandwidth to stream a 4K video from the internet and the Xbox starts a game update/download will my Nvidia Shield then buffer as it’s not actually reserving the bandwidth. 

When I have share excess enabled is the system going to honour the 25Mbps?

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No it shouldn't buffer at all due to the Anti-Bufferbloat and share excess will constantly be working to make sure each has enough 

Thank you for all your help on this matter, my last question on this would be, when I have share excess enabled and I set a say 30Mbps aside for the Nvidia Shield, how does the router use this information with share excess switched on. If I was to turn off share excess I’m guessing it would be a static reserved amount. 

I guess what im asking also, is there any point in reserving bandwidth for devices or just let them all share what is left after the Bufferbloat reserve. 

‘Thanks again. 

• Administrators

Its basically ensuring that the device can get at least that if needs be so if all other devices need a lot of bandwidth they will have to share amongst themselves but the shield has 30% which it needs so we can't take any bandwidth from it. Static yes reserved, can't go above that even if it needed more.

Yeah In my recommended settings I usually don't suggest specific bandwidth allocation values as share excess with Anti-Bufferbloat does a good enough job as is