XR500 upload bufferbloat.

hi Duma Team 

since ive got this router back when it 1st came out in the UK. i can not get my upload buffer bloat to be stable and in the white i can get my download to be within milliseconds but not my upload?

I have BT internet with PPoE using the Super hub 6 and XR500 behind it. speeds are 80 down and 20 up. 

i have attached anti buffer bloat stages and 100% 90% 80% and 70%. i just can not work it out. 

have you guys any ideas?

kind regards john. 

70.PNG

80.PNG

90.PNG

100.PNG

• Administrators

I wouldn't advise paying attention to DSLReports as bufferbloat only occurs when your connection is saturated but the test won't do that. Instead I'd recommend following this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection to see if QoS is working optimally for you.

thankyou Frazer. 

My line is stable, its when i start streaming to twitch the line stays the same but i feel in any  shooter game my bullets aren't connecting as they should. i shoot first and die first. im already prestige 9 in BO4 with dark matter and i think im pretty good at shooters. (i hope) when i come off stream connection is awesome. just dont know as im uploading at 5mb @1080 60Fps   

Capture.PNG

for the PS4 i have it more on DL and UP  but i stream from the PC using with a Elgato. something just doesn't feel right and i cant put my finger on it. and this is why i havent streamed in 2 weeks. 

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, flexingjohn said:

for the PS4 i have it more on DL and UP  but i stream from the PC using with a Elgato. something just doesn't feel right and i cant put my finger on it. and this is why i havent streamed in 2 weeks. 

Hmm okay. Your test results seem conclusive, accurate and extremely positive. I'd say you've got a fantastic line, and the XR500 isn't hindering it. I realise you can't put your finger on it, but can you describe what you feel when you're streaming? Also, don't rule out your PC performance in this - hardware performance can change just as your network. Are your drivers up to date? Are you experiencing any CPU issues or anything like that? Have you got a laptop to try streaming on instead? :)

4 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hmm okay. Your test results seem conclusive, accurate and extremely positive. I'd say you've got a fantastic line, and the XR500 isn't hindering it. I realise you can't put your finger on it, but can you describe what you feel when you're streaming? Also, don't rule out your PC performance in this - hardware performance can change just as your network. Are your drivers up to date? Are you experiencing any CPU issues or anything like that? Have you got a laptop to try streaming on instead? :)

Morning Jack.

i only use my Pc for streaming as i game on the PS4 and capture the live game play via a elagto hd 60 pro which is in the PC. so the PC only uploads the gameplay to twitch. 

So my problem is.. when not streaming my line isn't being saturated at all, as there is only me using the internet and gaming on the PS4 bullet reg is on point. once i start streaming the upload to twitch from the PC (the upload  is around 5 meg) and my line via ping plotter is the same as when i'm not  streaming. but the hit detection is awful. i see people shoot first and get the first bullet on them and i die first. i'm always on a dedi server with around 15ms ping.  

i have tried streaming straight from Ps4 and still the same problem.

i personally feel like the upload QoS isnt working right? i could be wrong? kind regards john  

• Netduma Staff
50 minutes ago, flexingjohn said:

Morning Jack.

i only use my Pc for streaming as i game on the PS4 and capture the live game play via a elagto hd 60 pro which is in the PC. so the PC only uploads the gameplay to twitch. 

So my problem is.. when not streaming my line isn't being saturated at all, as there is only me using the internet and gaming on the PS4 bullet reg is on point. once i start streaming the upload to twitch from the PC (the upload  is around 5 meg) and my line via ping plotter is the same as when i'm not  streaming. but the hit detection is awful. i see people shoot first and get the first bullet on them and i die first. i'm always on a dedi server with around 15ms ping.  

i have tried streaming straight from Ps4 and still the same problem.

i personally feel like the upload QoS isnt working right? i could be wrong? kind regards john  

Right okay. In my personal experience, it's highly unlikely to be an issue with upload or QoS. These features have been tested more thoroughly than maybe any router we've ever heard of - it's been a mammoth amount of work, but we're certain that these features work correctly. This is especially true since this is also a Nighthawk router, so it's been through even more comprehensive testing from Netgear themselves.

Maybe it's worth running a Pingplotter test while you're actually streaming?

2 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Right okay. In my personal experience, it's highly unlikely to be an issue with upload or QoS. These features have been tested more thoroughly than maybe any router we've ever heard of - it's been a mammoth amount of work, but we're certain that these features work correctly. This is especially true since this is also a Nighthawk router, so it's been through even more comprehensive testing from Netgear themselves.

thanks Jack. i always have pingplotter open tbh when i streamed as i wanted to see what was going on in my network. and it as a max of  3-5ms jitter on the graph 😕. my next step is replacing the BT home hub 6 with a 3rd party one. but thats a mind field alone!  i've tried the HG612 but thats the same and trying to unlock it which i've tried and failed. because it has QoS always enabled on the HG612 and i want to disable it as i want the XR500 to do all work. QUOTE "QoS is enabled in this default state, which (on a line that syncs at the maximum 19999kbit/s) will limit the upload to around 16.5Mbit/s. If you disable QoS, this will allow you to reach uploads around 18.5Mbit/s." as i dont want QoS to work twice if you know what i mean?

2 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

only thing i can think of is going back to R1! So i've just bought it 🙂 again. and see if there is any difference between them both as i know when i had the R1 i had awesome connection. 

lets hope i get this tomorrow 🙂  

Screenshot_20181115_134301.jpg

• Netduma Staff

Fair enough John, lets see if the R1 gives you a better experience. It's a strange issue, to the point where I'm wondering if it's more to do with the streaming software than your router. Only time will tell though, your line as I say is perfect.

1 hour ago, Netduma Jack said:

Fair enough John, lets see if the R1 gives you a better experience. It's a strange issue, to the point where I'm wondering if it's more to do with the streaming software than your router. Only time will tell though, your line as I say is perfect.

I Can see where you are coming from Jack with the streaming software. everything on the PC side is upto date.

i have the OBS open in a window to capture my PS4 gameplay now that's whether i stream or not as its a 1 to 1 ratio. i know i'm not getting any "input lag" from the elgato. to the monitor. as it would be lagging when i'm not streaming. Just hoping now the R1 gives me the better experience i'm looking for. A lot of testing this weekend! but thankyou for the help tho.      

2 hours ago, flexingjohn said:

you want a XR500 lol? 😂😂

3 hours ago, flexingjohn said:

ive never had a cripsy connection like this.......the R1 is amazing!!!

R1 capture.PNG

R1.PNG

Whas this using original R1 firmware?

I have the same experience as you John with just the upload side on the XR500 router our plots are very similar although the best I can achieve on my line is roughly the same as yours in figure 1 in your first post although the bufferbloat in never consistent even when its just me using the internet on my ps4 pro my connection is approx 23/5 I always seem behind in gunfights 

Its something Ive not been able to correct I think its something to do with the way the DPI works on the XR500 as i don't see it when i set my Edgerouter in the same scenario 

Yes i use Pingplotter aswell as dsl Dslreports

I would appreciate to find if there is a fix for this on the XR500 while i still have the option to return it

FWIW John if your still trying to unlock your HG612 you can find all details here

https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

5 hours ago, flexingjohn said:

1 minute ago, Mement said:

I have the same experience as you John with just the upload side on the XR500 router our plots are very similar although the best I can achieve on my line is roughly the same as yours in figure 1 in your first post although the bufferbloat in never consistent even when its just me using the internet on my ps4 pro my connection is approx 23/5 I always seem behind in gunfights 

Its something Ive not been able to correct I think its something to do with the way the DPI works on the XR500 as i don't see it when i plug my Edgerouter in

Yes i use Pingplotter aswell as dsl Dslreports

I would appreciate to find if there is a fix for this on the XR500 while i still have the option to return it

FWIW John if your still trying to unlock your HG612 you can find all details here

https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

well so far as tests go ....the R1 is performing much better than the XR500. but this is only my opinion! and mine alone. my bullet reg has line has never been this perfect for me. wven when im streaming im dropping people. and ive tried to unlock the HG612 but i just can not unlock the damn thing.  

Unfortunately I don't have an R1 to test at the moment which is a shame because I do like Duma OS overall although its a frustrating time for me with the XR500 I am keen to try out the new updates within the 1.3 milestone but up until then i wont know if this will fix the issues and my window is slowly closing

Regarding the hg612 it was a while ago since I unlocked it and my memory is not that great but I do remember it was quite quick and simple using the details within that link i gave you its very informative I current use the 3B version of the modem as its pretty solid and seems very reliable for me and  it was well worth it

duma OS is amazing i cant knock it at all. i just had a problem with my upload and now its fixed with the R1. 

As fir the HG612 ive tried using Lan 2 connected that to my pc and changed my NIC to the one mentioned on that site and turned off the modem and held reset for about 1 minute went to the PC and type in 192.168.1.1 just keeps saying page not found or no internet access. So ive gave up on it. must be windows 10?? 

regarding the hg612

Did you

Enable lan 2 as its disabled by default i think

when you connected over ethernet did you set static IP address on your pc within the 192.168.1.?  range

Try delete browser cookies/cache

Try a different browser