XR700 Disconnects

I purchased an XR700 and I had to go back to my old Nighthawk X8 in order to play any games on my PS4. I have xfinity as a service provider with 400/10 internet speeds. Are there issues with this router that I may have missed? This is pretty sad paying $500 for something and it not working properly. 

Please can you be more specific and less vague about your issue and tell us exactly what is happening? I have the XR700 and have had no issues regarding disconnects. Is it connection disconnects, game disconnects or device disconnects?

I keep disconnecting when playing  NBA2k19. I tried playing in the park in 2k and got disconnected 8 of 8 times.  I tried various setting in the goe filter. I changed settings in the bufferbloat, I tried changing the bandwidth allocation, I tried the profiles. I tried to factory reset and use all default settings. The only setting that worked was disconnecting the xr700 and reconnecting my x8.

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, LouieBaLLz said:

I keep disconnecting when playing  NBA2k19. I tried playing in the park in 2k and got disconnected 8 of 8 times.  I tried various setting in the goe filter. I changed settings in the bufferbloat, I tried changing the bandwidth allocation, I tried the profiles. I tried to factory reset and use all default settings. The only setting that worked was disconnecting the xr700 and reconnecting my x8.

Hi, welcome to the forum! So the best solution to this issue would be to disable the Geo-Filter (i.e set it to Spectator Mode) when you're looking to play in the park. 'Filtering Mode' isn't required for all games - especially in games where you're able to walk into online instances with no loading screens like NBA. Enabling the Geo-Filter could affect your ability to connect - it's best suited for matchmaking games / games where you have to search for a game.

1 hour ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hi, welcome to the forum! So the best solution to this issue would be to disable the Geo-Filter (i.e set it to Spectator Mode) when you're looking to play in the park. 'Filtering Mode' isn't required for all games - especially in games where you're able to walk into online instances with no loading screens like NBA. Enabling the Geo-Filter could affect your ability to connect - it's best suited for matchmaking games / games where you have to search for a game.

Hi Jack, I'm not 100% sure if that's a setting I tried, but will disable it and see what happens. Will I have to enable/disable this setting every time I want to play park or is there a way to set it to do it automatically? 

• Administrators

And just to check - are these disconnects happening before the game begins or during the game?

As Jack said - if you're just doing play in the park, you won't need Filtering Mode. 

Enable Filtering Mode for standard online play.

19 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

And just to check - are these disconnects happening before the game begins or during the game?

As Jack said - if you're just doing play in the park, you won't need Filtering Mode. 

Enable Filtering Mode for standard online play.

I load into a park and can walk around like normal. It's when I get into an actual game like 3v3 or Jordan rec that I disconnect almost instantly. 

This what I did so far, went into my geo filter / add device / added my playstation / ticked "spectating mode", Is that correct ? 

edit: I'm loading into 2k and will see what happens

Edited by LouieBaLLz

• Administrators

(Just saw you said you were wired in another thread)

Do you have another game you can play? The fact you are getting a drop out when Geo-Filtering is disabled (Spectating Mode) suggests this may be a hardware issue. NETGEAR will be able to replace your unit as you are far within your warranty. But let's verify first.

1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks Louie. What happens if you play a different game mode?

And are you wired or wireless?

To be honest the only multiplayer mode I play is park or rec and I disconnect from both. I think "my team" is multiplayer but I never play it. And, I'm a wired connection.

I play 2K about 80% of the time and some fortnite STW. I do have cod ww2 but rarely play it anymore.

Edited by LouieBaLLz

• Administrators

Ok, thanks for the update. Just to double check - you're playing in Spectating Mode and these disconnects are occurring? Just to be safe, could you delete all devices from the Geo-Filter.

Then could you try using a different ethernet cable (if you have one) and wire your console into a different port on the XR700 (use one of the normal LAN ports).

Now try one more time. If you get a disconnection, then let us know. You will need to raise a ticket with NETGEAR's official support - they will be able arrange a replacement for you:

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

47 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Ok, thanks for the update. Just to double check - you're playing in Spectating Mode and these disconnects are occurring? Just to be safe, could you delete all devices from the Geo-Filter.

Then could you try using a different ethernet cable (if you have one) and wire your console into a different port on the XR700 (use one of the normal LAN ports).

Now try one more time. If you get a disconnection, then let us know. You will need to raise a ticket with NETGEAR's official support - they will be able arrange a replacement for you:

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Ok, I'll give that a try when I get home and update this post.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, LouieBaLLz said:

Good morning folks. It looks like it may be a bad ethernet port on the router. I changed the port from 3 to 4 and was able to play an entire rec game without disconnecting (fingers crossed that it keeps working). I guess I'll have to have this router replaced.

I'll update if I do disconnect.

Thanks for the update Louie - did you make any other changes other than switching port between the last disconnect and the stable connection now?

For example, did you delete devices from the Geo-Filter? And did you need to disable smart roaming as recommended above?

1 minute ago, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks for the update Louie - did you make any other changes other than switching port between the last disconnect and the stable connection now?

For example, did you delete devices from the Geo-Filter? And did you need to disable smart roaming as recommended above?

All I did was change the port. The geo filter still has my PS4 in spectator mode and the smart roaming was disabled by default. 

• Administrators

Ok, great. Thank you for confirming Louie. I’d recommend continuing with this setup for a while and let us know if you have another drop. 

If they have ended I would recommend contacting Netgear for a replacement. 

Their official support is here: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

31 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Ok, great. Thank you for confirming Louie. I’d recommend continuing with this setup for a while and let us know if you have another drop. 

If they have ended I would recommend contacting Netgear for a replacement. 

Their official support is here: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Will do. Thank you for the help.