Packet loss

RL317

I'm hoping someone here on one of the Openreach-enabled ISPs in the UK has some advice for me because I'm at a bit of a loss... 

I've been running a thinkbroadband BQM for a while since switching from BT to TalkTalk a couple of months ago, and I only ever used to see packet loss on it if I used the net heavily with no QoS applied; at most that would be a one pixel mark on the graph while there was congestion. For the past week or so I've been noticing a lot of "idle" packet loss with bursts that appear continuously for up to two hours at a time (anywhere from 1-15% packet loss) and it mostly appears from 12pm to 12am, although there are a few spots in the early hours too. 

I took my faceplate off and plugged my modem directly into the test socket and all seemed well for several hours heading past midnight, but when I woke up today I checked it again and there were spikes of packet loss in the early hours. Fast forward to this evening and I've had basically non-stop packet loss for the past two and a half hours... 

Screenshot_20181113-212331.thumb.png.69fd4f9e64e7252693d90f4e3d27f362.png

I've never seen anything like this before, even on Virgin Media. I haven't touched the socket prior to this, haven't touched any cables, haven't turned my modem off (well it resynced after plugging into the test socket of course) or anything like that. I haven't had any random reboots, obvious line issues (ie with sync speed), haven't been interleaved or anything like that. 

There's also a question mark over this socket. When I moved from Virgin to BT in 2016 the guy installed a master socket with an NTE5C faceplate next to a double power socket for me to plug in my modem, but he ran a cable to that from another socket next to the front door. Judging by the logo on it, that socket is anywhere from 27 to 38 years old. Is this the actual master socket or was the new one a master socket that had just been moved to a more convenient location? I ask because trying the test socket seems redundant if it's not the first point in the house that the connection enters, meaning it doesn't bypass internal wiring for the purest connection at all. 

The old socket has just one slot on the front and I don't think I'd even be able to get the front off to check lol. Anyone got any suggestions? I read once that our very own Mr Bagsta had gaming and packet loss problems until he replaced his faceplate, but I don't think that'd help as mine isn't damaged, dusty, containing a bell wire that could encourage interference etc. Send help pls ☹️

Huh, interesting... I just swapped my modem out and I've had zero packet loss since then (the spike when setting up the modem and restarting the test is normal). Feel free to delete this thread I guess? LOL happy days. 

_20181114_122814.JPG

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, lllRL said:

Huh, interesting... I just swapped my modem out and I've had zero packet loss since then (the spike when setting up the modem and restarting the test is normal). Feel free to delete this thread I guess? LOL happy days. 

_20181114_122814.JPG

Hehe, well that's interesting indeed. I'll lock this thread, no worries. Modems are the bane of our lives, as usual :D