NEW FIRMWARE OUT (Netduma R1): DumaOS Development Milestone 1.3

Netduma Luke

• 2 weeks later...
  • Netduma Staff
20 hours ago, Choppa01 said:

Afternoon guys. I still have the old version 2.1.3.29. on my R1. Please could you send me the latest firmware.

Xolhid is correct - Milestone 1.3 (i.e, version 2.1.3.29) is the latest :) keep an eye out for Milestone 1.4, the pace is picking up now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
12 minutes ago, gkontos10 said:

Guys i didn't got the email with the new update.. 

Can you please resend it?? 

You've posted in the other topic for this and the team will send the email when they can, likely next week. You'll receive a response there when done: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/26635-not-received-your-dumaos-download-link-email-post-here/?page=5

On 11/18/2018 at 3:35 AM, Killhippie said:

Sadly ive gone back to the R7800. I miss DumaOS but streamboost works well  enough and I'm using Voxels firmware so I know the GPL packages that he can change will be much more up to date than either the XR500 and XR700, both which are using old versions of OpenSSL to begin with yet again <sigh>

Tbh I have a great line, without QoS I get pings to London of 7ms from he south coast and 33ms to Germany, I live on my own so things are more under my control, and I have very low latency, in fact I started getting better results on the XR500 with everything turned off towards the end. None of this is the fault of the Neduma guys, but Netgear should realise you cant run a gaming router with quarterly (ish) updates and now the XR500 is at the back of the line behind the R1, a router with a 600Mhz processor that seems to preform better than the Qualcomm/ Annapurna units with their bigger more powerful cores and more powerful wifi. I just need a router that I can game with and stream with and the XR500 was not really good at being a gaming router with the issues it has any more for me, and its way to buggy after being out 9 months as a home router too. I cant even have basic access control, let alone work out what's online and offline as things get stuck in the Network monitor sometimes and when I'm not gaming I would like to be able to use IPv6, no matter what it is 2018 and my ISP natively supports it. IPv6 may not help gaming much but  if DumaOS can't use IPv6 maybe it should recognise non gaming traffic and let IPv6 work when its just being used as a non gaming router. Maybe this could be possible in a future update?

I'm not sure about Netgear though as their IPv6 implementation filters ICMP, which it shouldn't. They wont change their mind and i'm guessing it would mean maybe a major overhaul of their firewall code maybe, who knows but they are certainly not bothered about it as its been going on since way before the R7000 was launched. Asus routers manage to deal with IPv6 this just fine. Netgear are way to slow with updates too, they even left in a bug using the '/' symbol  that effects passwords  that I found and reported on the R7800 which was fixed last year. ( The R7800 has exactly the same internal hardware as the XR500 with 128 MB less flash memory as its not running DumaOS, so it has 512MB ram 128MB flash compared with XR500's 512MB ram 256MB flash)

You can see really see here that a smaller company  that cares about its product can push out updates  very quickly, unlike Netgear, whose firmware in my opinion feels like its just getting worse with each update.  I'll go back to Netduma when they make a more powerful router, I need wireless 802.11ac to stream 4K but I don't want a three box set up (Modem, router and another router as a access point) but for me at least the XR500 is underperforming, and Netduma cant really do anything about it as their hands are tied and now they are up and running with the R1 (good for them) I think Netgear is starting to look like are fading memory in some ways. Netgear have fragmented DumaOS basically as I see it. :(

You kind of are blaming the Netduma team though. What you are essentially saying is that streamboost Qos is much better than Dumo OS's Qos is. Dont lie to yourself and think that the hardware isnt powerful enough because thats a load of crap lol. Also, why do there need to be "tons of updates" unless a router firmware is broken. Admit it, youre having a better gaming experience with a different router. I have better experience turning things off "besides geofilter" as well, versus leaving the Qos on and as ive posted many times, and the netduma team will not agree that there are issues that are just not fixed. But hey, if they wanna lose credibility then fine. But ive only heard of people tossing the netduma aside lately more than I ever had before. Duma OS just wasnt ready and that is all there is to it. Does it make me sad? Yeah, I agree with you as well that the firmware is alot less bland, and alot more useful in terms of what its supposed to do. Ive proven time and time again where my quality of my line is actually worsened by enabling their Qos. I am thinking of throwing mine aside again and going back to my old Asus router that ive used countless number of times. Theres no way that dsl reports lies. If my connection is a C with Qos and a A+ without it on...well...then something is evidently wrong. The only thing that should change is BB to an A-A+ consistently.

Guest Killhippie
17 hours ago, bbursley said:

You kind of are blaming the Netduma team though. What you are essentially saying is that streamboost Qos is much better than Dumo OS's Qos is. Dont lie to yourself and think that the hardware isnt powerful enough because thats a load of crap lol. Also, why do there need to be "tons of updates" unless a router firmware is broken. Admit it, youre having a better gaming experience with a different router. I have better experience turning things off "besides geofilter" as well, versus leaving the Qos on and as ive posted many times, and the netduma team will not agree that there are issues that are just not fixed. But hey, if they wanna lose credibility then fine. But ive only heard of people tossing the netduma aside lately more than I ever had before. Duma OS just wasnt ready and that is all there is to it. Does it make me sad? Yeah, I agree with you as well that the firmware is alot less bland, and alot more useful in terms of what its supposed to do. Ive proven time and time again where my quality of my line is actually worsened by enabling their Qos. I am thinking of throwing mine aside again and going back to my old Asus router that ive used countless number of times. Theres no way that dsl reports lies. If my connection is a C with Qos and a A+ without it on...well...then something is evidently wrong. The only thing that should change is BB to an A-A+ consistently.

Have you seen the date of that post? Personally I went back to the XR500 because it works better long term, and my line has great bufferbloat scores without antibufferbloat being on A & B on thinkbroadband and  DSL reports I tend to avoid. As to the A+ thing the DPI engine....oh wait there is a sticky explaining that and that's fine by me. The XR500 has bugs Netgear and Netduma need to sort out, but going forward I missed DumaOS. Netgears slow updating always bugs me but the hardware is well built. Also don't presume to know my gaming experience, I would not presume to know yours.

I think the Netduma team have to balance out individual issues with setup and hardware with sanity checks where they can see the issues. If they cant see it chances are it is probably down to your line, your hardware setup or your settings or a bug that's recently been found in the huge amount of code this router runs or a regression caused in an update. As to hardware the SoC is over three years old, that is getting on a bit for a router tbh but as long as it does what I need I'll use it. The XR500's CPU is not good as the 64 bit SoC's coming out right now but you cant fairly compare a three plus year old CPU with a bang up to date one, but software is just as important as hardware, if not more so at times. Anyway I have nothing really to add here, the R7800 is a great router with Voxels firmware. Do I wish the XR500 could have his updates, yes I do. Ultimately the XR500 have me the better gaming experience after using the R7800 for a while ymmv. I hope you find and enjoy what suits your needs as I did.

6 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Have you seen the date of that post? Personally I went back to the XR500 because it works better long term, and my line has great bufferbloat scores without antibufferbloat being on A & B on thinkbroadband and  DSL reports I tend to avoid. As to the A+ thing the DPI engine....oh wait there is a sticky explaining that and that's fine by me. The XR500 has bugs Netgear and Netduma need to sort out, but going forward I missed DumaOS. Netgears slow updating always bugs me but the hardware is well built. Also don't presume to know my gaming experience, I would not presume to know yours.

I think the Netduma team have to balance out individual issues with setup and hardware with sanity checks where they can see the issues. If they cant see it chances are it is probably down to your line, your hardware setup or your settings or a bug that's recently been found in the huge amount of code this router runs or a regression caused in an update. As to hardware the SoC is over three years old, that is getting on a bit for a router tbh but as long as it does what I need I'll use it. The XR500's CPU is not good as the 64 bit SoC's coming out right now but you cant fairly compare a three plus year old CPU with a bang up to date one, but software is just as important as hardware, if not more so at times. Anyway I have nothing really to add here, the R7800 is a great router with Voxels firmware. Do I wish the XR500 could have his updates, yes I do. Ultimately the XR500 have me the better gaming experience after using the R7800 for a while ymmv. I hope you find and enjoy what suits your needs as I did.

Nah, I didnt see the date tbh, that might of been my bad. I agree though, Using any other firmware outside of the (net)Duma OS is alot more frustrating. Having installed Asuswrt-merlin to my asus router, openwrt and perhaps going to try tomato or ddwrt. The Qos there has proven to give me better connection overall (especially with merlins version that adds fq_codel). Now i wont lie, it doesnt do AS good of a job with butterbloat as the netduma does, and it certainly does not have geofiltering, but because I am able to achieve those A-A+ scores straight across my hit detection in most games is significantly better, even on games where my ping was higher since I was not able to block further hosts :/. I am aware you can spend a boatload of time to actually blacklist ip ranges in firmwares (especially openwrt), but thats a hassle. 

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Filipe Ferreira said:

I was saying the milestone 1.3 update because I already have the dumaos update...

I will send you the link now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi!!!

Can someone tell me what is the latest version of dumaos? And if possible, send me the link to download it. I have dumaos-2.1.3.29, this is the latest version? or is there another newer version?

thks in advanced!!!

3 hours ago, QuillP said:

Hi!!!

Can someone tell me what is the latest version of dumaos? And if possible, send me the link to download it. I have dumaos-2.1.3.29, this is the latest version? or is there another newer version?

thks in advanced!!!

Hello QuillP

The latest firmware version is 2.1.3.29 so far no more recent version has been released since milestone 1.3 is the same as 2.1.3.29.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Are there any patchnotes that you can read what the latest DumaOS fixed over the last one? Not refering to the 1.3 version but the very latest one that i think is discussed here in the more recent comments.
Still using the second firmware release version i believe and im really happy with it, no crashes or anything. So far the most stable netduma firmware that i had. Though its of course interesting to see what has been added since then ;).

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Od1n said:

Are there any patchnotes that you can read what the latest DumaOS fixed over the last one? Not refering to the 1.3 version but the very latest one that i think is discussed here in the more recent comments.
Still using the second firmware release version i believe and im really happy with it, no crashes or anything. So far the most stable netduma firmware that i had. Though its of course interesting to see what has been added since then ;).

Unfortunately not, there have only been two versions of DumaOS on the R1 .10 & .29 with the latter being the 1.3 milestone. We will try to be more detailed when we release the next version on what has changed.

21 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Unfortunately not, there have only been two versions of DumaOS on the R1 .10 & .29 with the latter being the 1.3 milestone. We will try to be more detailed when we release the next version on what has changed.

Thanks Fraser, then i still seem to be on the latest version. As i mentioned earlier this has been the most stable firmware i have had so far (early bird r1 user), you can tell Iain that he did a great job! :)

• 2 months later...