NEW FIRMWARE OUT (Netduma R1): DumaOS Development Milestone 1.3

Netduma Luke

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Uzumaki619 said:

Any news regarding when this update coming for Xr500?  Give us a beta  direct link for this until netgear release this on their website. 

We can't give any dates and neither will Netgear, it'll just be released when it's released. We can't do that either unfortunately. Understand your frustration but nothing we can do from our side.

i think i ran into a problem while trying to upgrade a tab showed up as " http://192.168.88.1 is requesting your username and password. The site says: “NETDUMA ” " i have used the same pass word and never changed it since first having duma any help here in order to upgrade

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, true_mike55 said:

i think i ran into a problem while trying to upgrade a tab showed up as " http://192.168.88.1 is requesting your username and password. The site says: “NETDUMA ” " i have used the same pass word and never changed it since first having duma any help here in order to upgrade

Try admin / password, if that doesn't work factory reset using the button at the back of the router and it will be admin / password

23 hours ago, Uzumaki619 said:

Any news regarding when this update coming for Xr500?  Give us a beta  direct link for this until netgear release this on their website. 

There probably won't be a beta for any Netgear firmware because it has to pass Netgears QA. The only people that have access to it are some really dedicated fans (or early adopters from before the R1 was even released). 

They probably can't even give you a release timeframe because it all relies on Netgear to release the firmware to their routers. 

Stop asking. It's ready to be released, it's simply up to Netgear. No one can tell you when it's going to drop other than Netgear. 

Guest Killhippie

Sadly ive gone back to the R7800. I miss DumaOS but streamboost works well  enough and I'm using Voxels firmware so I know the GPL packages that he can change will be much more up to date than either the XR500 and XR700, both which are using old versions of OpenSSL to begin with yet again <sigh>

Tbh I have a great line, without QoS I get pings to London of 7ms from he south coast and 33ms to Germany, I live on my own so things are more under my control, and I have very low latency, in fact I started getting better results on the XR500 with everything turned off towards the end. None of this is the fault of the Neduma guys, but Netgear should realise you cant run a gaming router with quarterly (ish) updates and now the XR500 is at the back of the line behind the R1, a router with a 600Mhz processor that seems to preform better than the Qualcomm/ Annapurna units with their bigger more powerful cores and more powerful wifi. I just need a router that I can game with and stream with and the XR500 was not really good at being a gaming router with the issues it has any more for me, and its way to buggy after being out 9 months as a home router too. I cant even have basic access control, let alone work out what's online and offline as things get stuck in the Network monitor sometimes and when I'm not gaming I would like to be able to use IPv6, no matter what it is 2018 and my ISP natively supports it. IPv6 may not help gaming much but  if DumaOS can't use IPv6 maybe it should recognise non gaming traffic and let IPv6 work when its just being used as a non gaming router. Maybe this could be possible in a future update?

I'm not sure about Netgear though as their IPv6 implementation filters ICMP, which it shouldn't. They wont change their mind and i'm guessing it would mean maybe a major overhaul of their firewall code maybe, who knows but they are certainly not bothered about it as its been going on since way before the R7000 was launched. Asus routers manage to deal with IPv6 this just fine. Netgear are way to slow with updates too, they even left in a bug using the '/' symbol  that effects passwords  that I found and reported on the R7800 which was fixed last year. ( The R7800 has exactly the same internal hardware as the XR500 with 128 MB less flash memory as its not running DumaOS, so it has 512MB ram 128MB flash compared with XR500's 512MB ram 256MB flash)

You can see really see here that a smaller company  that cares about its product can push out updates  very quickly, unlike Netgear, whose firmware in my opinion feels like its just getting worse with each update.  I'll go back to Netduma when they make a more powerful router, I need wireless 802.11ac to stream 4K but I don't want a three box set up (Modem, router and another router as a access point) but for me at least the XR500 is underperforming, and Netduma cant really do anything about it as their hands are tied and now they are up and running with the R1 (good for them) I think Netgear is starting to look like are fading memory in some ways. Netgear have fragmented DumaOS basically as I see it. :(

Guest Killhippie

I hope so Fraser. It’s just the weak link here is Netgear. Seeing what you can do with the R1 so quickly has made me realise the XR500 will never be the router it should be because Netgear are so slow in pushing out updates, and that’s never going to change. 

. I really do miss DumaOS though.  In fact I think I would rather be using a version of DumaOS that’s partly crippled than using the bland featureless wasteland that is the R7800. Let’s hope a update comes out soon that fixes the issues and shortcomings  so I can put the XR500  back into use. 

As it stands Netgear users are very frustrated with their current duma OS due to:

The Geo Filter Currently doesn't work as it should due to cloud server misplacement issues

The Allow and deny servers doesn't work either as it should due to whatever issues etc 

QoS kinda works better on the download then the upload (for me anyways)

These core components of DUMA OS are the reason a large majority of the people bought this gaming router in the first place

These problems should be treated with highest of priority by Netduma within a timely manner there is no need to keep passing the blame on to netgear  or avoiding peoples questions regarding these matters

There needs to be more transparency with your consumers acknowledging what the current problems are because everybody I see coming to the forum at this current time is asking the same set of questions 

Please dedicate a pinned thread telling people of known issues and workarounds if any

Not doing so is  just adding to the frustration of the consumers as well as yourselves its wasting a lot of peoples time

Also What is so wrong in offering us ping assist in beta at this time  if you unable to offer any respite with the current problems it may help

We may be able to work it out together

Some how there must be a way to solve the current divide that is starting to become more apparent as the days go on

What I'm failing to understand is the R-apps where initially created for a specific reason by Netduma and that is ease of expandability

Most of these DUMA OS features are an R-App and are Independent to Netgears actual router firmware

Quotes from this link -  https://rapps.dumaos.com

"R-Apps are independent features on your router. Just like an app on your smartphone, each R-App solves a problem to give you the best connection possible.

It is so easy to add new R-Apps to your router. This extendibility means you will always have the latest, powerful features to take control of your network.

Yet as Netgear DUMO OS Users we are unable to test the new R_apps in beta ourselves or even experience them or have our issues fixed without having to wait for them to be implemented by Netgear as part of their annual/ seasonal router firmware update whenever that may be

The current issues are unacceptable and even more-so with the new features being released on the R1 that Netgear users may find beneficial right now

On 1/12/2017 at 5:27 PM, Netduma Jack said:

Jitter can build up; the quality of the line at any point in the connection affects the intensity of jitter. Fortunately, we're developing a neat thing called 'anti-jitter' (alongside 'anti-spike') which are going to be included in DumaOS; our free major overhaul coming this year. As far as I know, nobody has managed to completely eradicate jitter, but we're going to be among the first to properly tackle it. Do you have jitter problems?

On 11/16/2018 at 9:42 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

We're not going to be giving out any etas/deadlines, I think you can understand why! 

Yes I understand Netduma can't maintain or handle deadlines of any kind you guys as a company have proven that many times. But still over 3 years since that blog post and the endless mentions of "it will be included with the new DumaOS" and teasing from you about how great those features are compared to current industry alternatives on here and Twitter make it frustrating when those kinds of features aren't base features or core to this new OS especially when they would have a greater affect on a players connection than the majority of the features included.

It would be nice to know how many years we'll have to wait for those features to be included so we know when upgrading will actually be worth it. Although considering Netduma's usage of the word "soon" and the fact that the features aren't in the beta build 2 years minimum is probably accurate.

Guest Killhippie
On 11/17/2018 at 6:40 PM, Conjecturable said:

There probably won't be a beta for any Netgear firmware because it has to pass Netgears QA. The only people that have access to it are some really dedicated fans (or early adopters from before the R1 was even released). 

They probably can't even give you a release timeframe because it all relies on Netgear to release the firmware to their routers. 

Stop asking. It's ready to be released, it's simply up to Netgear. No one can tell you when it's going to drop other than Netgear. 

Yet oddly there used to be netgear beta firmwares available. They were even given out in the forum via pm. I wonder what’s changed ☹️

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Yet oddly there used to be netgear beta firmwares available. They were even given out in the forum via pm. I wonder what’s changed ☹️

This was only for the disconnect issue, it was built using the existing version available. We've done the work our side and we're waiting along with you.

ok I signed up for "DumaOS for R1 Sign Up Website" received the email and there was a link to this file also "dumaos-2.1.3.29.sig" is this the latest version from 1.3?

Or do I get a newer email with the open beta link separately?

1 hour ago, b00st said:

ok I signed up for "DumaOS for R1 Sign Up Website" received the email and there was a link to this file also "dumaos-2.1.3.29.sig" is this the latest version from 1.3?

Yes this is the newest available version.

• Administrators
On 11/25/2018 at 9:37 AM, datboytatted60 said:

have not got a email yet and i have the os beta 

I have PMd you the latest milestone firmware

20 hours ago, b00st said:

As Xolhid said, anyone who signs up to the Beta now will receive the latest firmware (which includes Milestone 1.3)

• 1 month later...
  • Netduma Staff
14 hours ago, wheresmepad said:

hello iv got v2.1.2.10 no other email no ping assist ?

No problem, please email [email protected] using the email address you used to sign up to DumaOS. I'll send you the firmware once I confirm your email address :D