Using my netduma at a college campus

bbursley

not sure if this is the correct area for this but...I have the netduma r1 and I want to use it at my college campus. Ive turned off DHCP so as to not feed back into the schools system (its happened already) i cloned a mac of a device that is NOT the netduma and has been used on the network already (i used the MAC of a usb-c ethernet adapter and turned off wireless. so what i want to know is will they see my netduma as another device? also what other settings do i need to change within the router to make it work with the schools system. essentially im trying to use the softwares geofiltering abilitys while not actually using the netduma as a router specifically, so i want to keep the IP assigned to me by the colleges DHCP and also letting the netduma keep its own IP as theres no other way that i can think of off the top of my head to make this work. thoughts?

42 minutes ago, bbursley said:

not sure if this is the correct area for this but...I have the netduma r1 and I want to use it at my college campus. Ive turned off DHCP so as to not feed back into the schools system (its happened already) i cloned a mac of a device that is NOT the netduma and has been used on the network already (i used the MAC of a usb-c ethernet adapter and turned off wireless. so what i want to know is will they see my netduma as another device? also what other settings do i need to change within the router to make it work with the schools system. essentially im trying to use the softwares geofiltering abilitys while not actually using the netduma as a router specifically, so i want to keep the IP assigned to me by the colleges DHCP and also letting the netduma keep its own IP as theres no other way that i can think of off the top of my head to make this work. thoughts?

The DHCP of the Netduma will be easier for the settings of the geo-filter to work. The IP given from the campus, will be the WAN IP of the Netduma. Thus having the DHCP enabled in WAN will be beneficial into getting that very IP the Campus will give you. The DHCP in the LAN side is what the netduma router will assign for the LAN network interface. Leave both enabled for automatic to make it easier for you. You then can go into the device manager of the netduma and see your console/pc there and should be able to change the name of the device(if it's not the only device in the list). Just to make it easier for you to see the console/pc when selected what device you want to use the geo-filter for. Just to be safe, when setting your geo-filter for the device. Make sure the device is turned off. Just so no ports or anything gets mixed up. It's not mandatory but if you want to, it's up to you on turning the device off. But again, if not, it's fine. 

• Administrators

Do you know anyone else who has setup a router on your campus (doesn't have to be a Netduma)? It's very tricky to help without being there to try it out.

Were you able to give the Netduma a static WAN IP? You can leave the Netduma with its standard LAN IP range of 192.168.88.x

I don’t know anyone who has specifically. What I know is were not suppose to specifically have routers or “hubs” at all. That’s the reasoning for cloning a MAC that’s already been assigned an IP by our system so it shows as something else. Or a least I presume it does. But the issue as I stated before was when someone connected what our IT department called a “rogue” router into the networking it created dhcp errors because that router then fed back into the network and I guess was assigning people IP addresses according to what I was told. That’s the issue with me using the DHCP on lan side. I want to use the netduma as if it were a LAN hub and allow it to filter my consoles connections. I mean the software is there for it. The netduma is going to be assigned an IP. So I’m wondering how I can blend the two together. I’m assuming I’m gonna have to set a static IP to the console. Idk I’ve never done this before lol so it’s complicated but essentially my goal is to use the DUMA as a hub that I can geofilter with. That’s my goal.