Jump to content
hackyqueen89

Lower speeds than ISP modem before and after update

Recommended Posts

Hi! 

Our R1 is a little older so I'm not sure if anything can be done to alleviate this issue. But, I've noticed that our speeds are lower than those of the modem alone. The modem is a regular modem (Arris tm1602), and we pay for 200mb/s (speeds of which the modem is actually reaching via wired without the R1). Unfortunately the R1 is only getting about 80mb/s download wired [30mb/s upload?], and max 30mb/s download [10mb/s max upload] on WIFI. This has been before and after the DumaOS update. I've read all optimization guides and tried disabling CC/QoS with each firmware. I am pretty sure I've also tried a factory reset at some point. But, of course I'm willing to do whatever necessary to get at least the wifi speeds back up since the R1 is currently my only means of a wireless connection. I also power cycle the modem and R1 from time to time after fiddling with settings.

I can't recall if the speeds were better when the R1 was brand new since we were paying for lower speeds at the time. 

Any help is appreciated! I still love our R1 and the DumaOS UI is gorgeous ^_^ Please let me know what other info may be needed, if any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Pollution Blues said, 80mbps is the absolute max you can get through the Netduma R1's Wifi.

If you have another router with better WiFI then you can use this as an Access Point. Let us know if you're not sure what to do.

Thank you as well for the kind words on DumaOS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

As Pollution Blues said, 80mbps is the absolute max you can get through the Netduma R1's Wifi.

If you have another router with better WiFI then you can use this as an Access Point. Let us know if you're not sure what to do.

Thank you as well for the kind words on DumaOS!

Hi thank you all the responses. However I mentioned 80mb/s is the max wired Ethernet speed I am getting on R1(versus 200mb/s on my modem alone).

For WIFI the max I am getting is 30mb/s from the R1, and usually lower like half of that with CC or QoS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same question regarding the speeds I currently get and have always gotten since I’ve had the netduma r1. ISP provides 1 gig down and 50mbps up, which I get pretty close to when I run wired directly to the modem or through my nighthawk r7000. The highest I’ve EVER see my r1 reach is 150down. Upload is usually close to what I pay for. 

Pretty sure I have tried everything that I’ve been able to find so was just curious if there was something else or maybe I’ve just always had a bad r1. 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 2:22 PM, hackyqueen89 said:

Hi thank you all the responses. However I mentioned 80mb/s is the max wired Ethernet speed I am getting on R1(versus 200mb/s on my modem alone).

For WIFI the max I am getting is 30mb/s from the R1, and usually lower like half of that with CC or QoS

Ok, thanks. Missed that you said this was on wired. What happens if you disable QoS in Anti-bufferbloat Options, do you then get full speeds?

19 hours ago, Tmac said:

I have the same question regarding the speeds I currently get and have always gotten since I’ve had the netduma r1. ISP provides 1 gig down and 50mbps up, which I get pretty close to when I run wired directly to the modem or through my nighthawk r7000. The highest I’ve EVER see my r1 reach is 150down. Upload is usually close to what I pay for. 

Pretty sure I have tried everything that I’ve been able to find so was just curious if there was something else or maybe I’ve just always had a bad r1. 

Thanks

Hi Tmac - try disabling QoS in Anti-bufferbloat Options, do you then get full speeds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hackyqueen89 said:

No worries! Unfortunately disabling (CC on old firmware or) QoS didn't help reach full speeds. It just raised the speed by about 5mb/s for download, and raised the upload by maybe 1 or 2 mb/s. 

One final thought, do you use PPPoE to connect to the Internet? Are these details entered onto the router? If they are, could you put them on the modem instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

One final thought, do you use PPPoE to connect to the Internet? Are these details entered onto the router? If they are, could you put them on the modem instead.

I don't use pppoe for internet connection

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Could you go to System Information on DumaOS. Look at the CPU graph. Now run a speedtest. Does the CPU get maxed out?

I'm not sure if it matters if I ran the speed test from my phone, but no max out on cpu running speed test from my phone. I tried it with all bandwidth allocated to my phone (excess shared). And i tried it with QoS disabled. Cpu capped at about 50%, and the speed tests were conducted while my husband was also playing online multiplayer on his xbox (in case that matters). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update. Could you try this please:

  1. Go to Anti-Bufferbloat options and check Disable QoS (if you have not already). CLick proceed at the warning message
  2. Go to Network Settings - on both LAN and WAN disable IPv6
  3. Wire the R1 into a computer
  4. Run a speedtest on the computer

What speeds do you get? Appreciate some of this is repetition of previous steps but this really is the final test. You should be getting up to 700mbps with those settings, so hitting your limit of 200mbps should be easy

If that doesn't work, one final thought is you have a bad ethernet cable between the R1 and the modem. So would be great if you can switch that out for a cat5e, cat6 or cat7 Ethernet cable.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 7:56 AM, Netduma Admin said:

Ok, thanks. Missed that you said this was on wired. What happens if you disable QoS in Anti-bufferbloat Options, do you then get full speeds?

Hi Tmac - try disabling QoS in Anti-bufferbloat Options, do you then get full speeds?

I have tried doing that but still get slower speeds.  The cpu usage doesn’t seem to make much of a jump when I’m doing the speed test either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you try this too please

  1. Go to Anti-Bufferbloat options and check Disable QoS (if you have not already). CLick proceed at the warning message
  2. Go to Network Settings - on both LAN and WAN disable IPv6
  3. Wire the R1 into a computer
  4. Run a speedtest on the computer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Could you try this too please

  1. Go to Anti-Bufferbloat options and check Disable QoS (if you have not already). CLick proceed at the warning message
  2. Go to Network Settings - on both LAN and WAN disable IPv6
  3. Wire the R1 into a computer
  4. Run a speedtest on the computer

Tried that and still only get 140 mbps down. Wired to the modem or other router is still giving me around 700 mbps down. 

Cpu usage is only peaking at 60%. Is that a sign that the r1 could be not working properly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tmac said:

I don’t believe it’s pppoE. I don’t have a username or password from the provider. Just connect the modem and go. 

That's correct, you don't have PPPoE on the router.

Can you make sure IPv6 is disabled both on LAN and WAN (configure this in network settings).

Do you know the speeds you were able to hit on the old R1 firmware?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

That's correct, you don't have PPPoE on the router.

Can you make sure IPv6 is disabled both on LAN and WAN (configure this in network settings).

Do you know the speeds you were able to hit on the old R1 firmware?

IPv6 is disabled on both.

I upgraded my plan from the isp about 2 months ago and had been using my other router until the duma os was released for the r1. I wasn’t able to hit close to my previous speeds though and that’s why I had been running my old router. 

I do love the new software and it seems to work pretty well for destiny 2, which is all I really play, but would just like to be able to get speeds closer to what I am paying for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much just the geo filter but even with the Qqs off I get speed issues. Just gaming would probably be ok but if I’m streaming and have multiple things going on then I notice some quality issues when using the r1 instead of my other router. 

Im guessing it’s just because I’m not getting all of the bandwidth with the r1 or it’s just not capable since it’s older hardware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Can you try one thing please, sometimes the ISP doesn't adjust well when a new router is used. Can you set the MAC address of the R1 to the MAC address of your previous router, then reboot from the interface and try again

 I’ll give that a shot after work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×