Disconnects with Skype for Business and Company VPN

On my work laptop, I use Skype for Business.  The last couple days, I've been having very frequent disconnects with Skype.  It will sign me out and then sign me back in, every couples minutes.  I'm also having issues with connecting to my company's VPN, where it won't connect at all.  I reached out to my company's IT support and they had me try to connect using my mobile hotspot, instead of wifi, and everything worked just fine.  So they told me it's not an issue with the applications, but an issue with the my internet router.

I haven't changed any of my settings for the XR500 over the last couple days.  Is there anything with the router that could be causing these issues?  

• Administrators

Hi there - are you able to connect your laptop to your modem? That would be a great test - if it works fine there but then not on the XR500 you know where the problem is. 

However, at this point, my guess would be it’s more likely to be a problem with your overall internet line as you haven’t changed any settings on your router. Definitely give the router a good old reboot though!

7 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi there - are you able to connect your laptop to your modem? That would be a great test - if it works fine there but then not on the XR500 you know where the problem is. 

However, at this point, my guess would be it’s more likely to be a problem with your overall internet line as you haven’t changed any settings on your router. Definitely give the router a good old reboot though!

I just connected my laptop to my modem directly, bypassing the router.  Everything appeared to work just fine.  I was able to connect to my company's VPN and didn't see any Skype disconnects.

15 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Give the router a reboot and try connecting to it again. Does it work?

Rebooting the router doesn't fix it.   Additionally, I noticed that when I switched from my modem back to the router, my company's VPN was able to reconnect from the quick/temporary disconnection.  However, when I logged out of VPN and tried to log back in, it wouldn't work.  So something about the initial login to my company's VPN that the router seems to be blocking.

• Administrators

Ok - that’s very helpful. 

Does your company give you any guidance on ports to forward or any configuration you should make on your router?

Also, is UPNP enabled on your router? Go to the Settings section and click UPNP on the left

On 11/11/2018 at 4:23 AM, Netduma Admin said:

Ok - that’s very helpful. 

Does your company give you any guidance on ports to forward or any configuration you should make on your router?

Also, is UPNP enabled on your router? Go to the Settings section and click UPNP on the left

No, not aware of any guidance my company gives out.  I've never had this problem with previous routers.

Yes, UPNP is enabled.

• Administrators

I think it’s best to factory reset at this point and see if that solves your problem. https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router