XR700 Packet Loss while using wifi

Did some Ping Plotter tests to find out how bad my Verizon Fios G1100 router's packet loss was and found that it didn't have any. 

I actually found out that my XR700 had packet loss. I know you shouldn't test over wifi but, I've been having issues with my URC remote control dropping its connection all the time. So I did some troubleshooting to see if I could improve my wifi signal. So I started testing both of my routers through wifi and here are the results.

Can someone tell me why I should keep the XR700?

I can't see keeping a product that has one problem after the next. I already have plenty of problems and don't need more. 1244730769_MacbookProwifitoG11002.5secs.thumb.png.4e3fe669f4c7bad42ccd7421d14da7f4.png2099323878_MacbookProwifitoG1100.thumb.png.ef6a9d4207cc134fa365ece1f2bfef3d.png890726233_MacbookProwifitoXR7002_5sec.thumb.png.2dfb1d3209c534c3e0acc75ad5a2f97d.png346236307_MacbookProtoXR700.thumb.png.57b041be5ba0f4d8ee19176303753142.png

pic 1 of macbook with G1100 you have an average ping of 28ms.

pic 2 you have an average ping of 10.5ms and an average of 30.9ms.

Both of these over wireless?? How far away is your mac from your router(s)? If it is close by then you should not be getting ping or ping spikes so high. Packet loss can be expected if a router is a fair distance from it's destination. Yes, doing ping tests over wifi is not a true way of testing so what is your pingplotter wired? Here is my pingplotter result with my router close by and I do not get pings or spikes like yours over wifi. My pings are 2.5 and 3.2.

I would be more concerned why your macbook is spiking at such highs with your g1100!

pics 3&4 although have higher ping spikes still have your macbook in the equation.

2018-11-09.png

• Netduma Staff

I've just looked over your older thread about XR700 packet loss. You were having tonned of issues at that time but you concluded that your target URL and maybe the modem itself could be the cause.

The advice above is great - it's worth saying that you can't really trust tests over WiFi. I'm not downplaying your issue though - there is an issue here, it's just a matter of finding out what the hell it is. It's also worth saying that we haven't seen other XR700 users reporting such massive packet loss, and when they do it can be resolved in the usual ways (replacing the modem, Ethernet cables or contacting the ISP).

Have you got any other devices to run Pingplotter tests from? Have you got any Ethernet cables to run the test from? Did you switch modem in the end? I'm sorry this is happening to you but maybe we'll get to the bottom of it yet.

You say your modem is  a Fios G1100? What manufacturer made it to  see if we can find s known issue with that model? Also is your ethernet cable from modem to router or from mac to modem is that cable STP or UTP (shielded or unshielded twisted pair). If UTP then electrical interfereance from electrical devices or ecven bleedover from close or touching power cables can cause you this issue!!!! To check, look at the cable ends, if they are shielded there will be metal around the plastic casing, unshielded just has plain plastic connector. I suspect this issue is cable related and as for wifi i suspect distance is a factor or possible channel bleedover if set to a default channel.

So during these tests my XR700 was 8ft away from my macbook pro with line of sight to it, the G1100 verizon router was 25ft away on an upper floor with only wood construction and drywall in its path. So if anything, the G1100 should've given me more problems since it was traveling further and going through walls and floors.

My macbook pro is up to date and has never had issues with wifi or wired connections.

The Verizon G1100 is leased. Not sure who makes it. 

On my other thread, for wired packet loss, it seemed to be that Twitter.com was giving me problems. So I stopped troubleshooting the wired connections. I never even thought to try doing a wireless ping test to see if there was packet loss on the XR700.

All of my ethernet cables are CAT6a or CAT7 SSTP/SFTP, and were checked using a Network Cable Tester

I use a wifi scanner to make sure the wifi channel i'm using is clear. I only use channel 1 or 11 with 20mhz width on 2.4ghz. And channel 44 or 153 with 80mhz width on 5ghz.

I haven't been able to talk with Level 2 support from Netgear because I've been working everyday. There are only 2 firmwares for the XR700 that I can use. The latest firmware causes the router to drop its WAN connection. So that can't be used. So the original firmware is all I got and it appears that it has a packet loss problem. Could it be hardware related maybe, but I have no idea at this point. The reason I'm testing the wifi on the XR700 is because my URC remote control uses wifi to control my equipment and it is having issues staying connected to my network. I tried using the URC remote with my G1100 but that routers wifi sucks. So now I'm trying the XR700 and that has packet loss.

@BIG__DOG Yours spikes just like mine, but not as high. You need to add the column for Max on Pingplotter. You have a spike to 92ms, but you don't have any packet loss like mine.

@Netduma Jack I don't have any other wifi devices that can use Ping Plotter to test from. 

Edited by FQs19
Added reply to Jack

yeah, I know about the 92ms spike, and on wireless it is to be expected. My router is 2 ft away from my pc. It happens on my other router if I use it in the same position. Packet loss over wifi is not uncommon but it is frustrating. So long as you are not gaming over wifi it should not impact on you. You could try powerline adaptors if your pc/console is downstairs and the router is upstairs to give you ethernet connectivity. This is mine connected to my router wired through a powerline adaptor. Laptop upstairs XR700 downstairs.

755000508_2018-11-09(1).thumb.png.e146429335b4b7ead228b7d2c42b9b6b.png

20 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

yeah, I know about the 92ms spike, and on wireless it is to be expected. My router is 2 ft away from my pc. It happens on my other router if I use it in the same position. Packet loss over wifi is not uncommon but it is frustrating. So long as you are not gaming over wifi it should not impact on you. You could try powerline adaptors if your pc/console is downstairs and the router is upstairs to give you ethernet connectivity. This is mine connected to my router wired through a powerline adaptor. Laptop upstairs XR700 downstairs.

755000508_2018-11-09(1).thumb.png.e146429335b4b7ead228b7d2c42b9b6b.png

Great plot for a powerline adapter BD! I find my powerline adapters give me the odd spike here and there, far better than gaming on WiFi though. What powerline adapters do you use?

Again, I'm not concerned with wired connections. 

My problem is the wifi connection. A remote control has no wires. It uses the wireless connection. If the wifi on the XR700 can not work within 10ft of the device that needs it while having line-of-sight to the device, it's worthless. 

1 hour ago, pollutionblues said:

Great plot for a powerline adapter BD! I find my powerline adapters give me the odd spike here and there, far better than gaming on WiFi though. What powerline adapters do you use?

TP-Link TL-PA9020PKIT 

I find these to work excellent. I had the A500 but they are too slow now matey!

1 hour ago, FQs19 said:

Again, I'm not concerned with wired connections. 

My problem is the wifi connection. A remote control has no wires. It uses the wireless connection. If the wifi on the XR700 can not work within 10ft of the device that needs it while having line-of-sight to the device, it's worthless. 

I am not sure why you are having wifi issues. My property is 1400sqft and is solid brick walls and wooden flooring. I get full strength throughout and into the garden. I have no issues with the XR500 range either.

Il y a 1 heure, BIG__DOG a déclaré:

Je ne sais pas pourquoi vous avez des problèmes de wifi. Ma propriété est 1400sqft et est des murs de solides et planchers en bois. Je reçois toute la force dans et dans le jardin. Je n'ai aucun problème avec la gamme XR500 non plus.

Euh la ça m'inquiète car je suis en appartement 64m2 et dans les deux chambre à l'autre bout de l'appartement je n'est plus de wifi quand les portes sont fermé...? Sur un xr500 

7 hours ago, Locosano said:

Euh la ça m'inquiète car je suis en appartement 64m2 et dans les deux chambre à l'autre bout de l'appartement je n'est plus de wifi quand les portes sont fermé...? Sur un xr500 

Où est situé votre XR500? Idéalement, il devrait être aussi central que possible dans votre appartement et non au ras du sol

2018-11-10.png