Proper Bandwidth detection.

40 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

It's certainly a bug, and NETGEAR are no doubt looking into it, but my point is far for someone experienced with the router like Crunkjuice is it's not something to stress too much about as there's a simple workaround for now.

If he's not actually getting full speeds through the router then that's obviously much more serious!

This bug is indeed not a minor issue to most consumers as this bug negates your QOS at first install to which your OS is centered around

Theres a lot of people buying this product without networking knowledge that may just wanting to plug and play

People shouldn't have to look for workarounds an go start searching for answers because the product is not working like it should out of the box

Every consumer who buys this product is well within their rights to feel frustrated 

Guest Killhippie
20 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

It's certainly a bug, and NETGEAR are no doubt looking into it, but my point is far for someone experienced with the router like Crunkjuice is it's not something to stress too much about as there's a simple workaround for now.

If he's not actually getting full speeds through the router then that's obviously much more serious!

I'm not denying that. The point though is lots of gamers are trying out these products for the first time and may be learning their way around and want the router to help with setup, not fail at the first speedtest. How many know their actual sync rate?

It is normal for the connection speed to be be different to the download speed (or upload) that you are seeing on your devices. This is generally because the data you are sending and receiving from your devices is kind of wrapped up in an additional layer for sending across the  networks, so for FTTC for example this overhead means if you actually connect at 79,999 Kbps the maximum download speed you can expect is 76 Mbps, as a general rule the maximum download speed you will see is 96% of the connection on the fibre to the cabinet service. How many users will know that?

You have to run a test to find your actual sync rate and then and you can only do that once the router is set up.  Yes the issues with Crankjuice's speeds are very important, and I'm not trying to  take that away. I'm just saying the failure of the setup process by Netgear's Ookla connection when it worked fine a few months back is inexcusable and since as mentioned its an important part of the setup process for the routers QOS, it needs to work first time for the successful set up of the router for the average user, its as simple as that.

Wait until the Christmas shoppers get their hands on this. LOL 

Yesterday I bought a 4 terabyte external hard drive to put all my games on. Fortnite, warframe, cod4, darksiders, Battlefield 1 to name a few. At first the speeds download can be capped by Sony psn network or could it be hardware related, software related or nothing to worry about? Who knows. Network overview shows a very erratic download. 

2018-11-11 09.52.52.jpg

2018-11-11 09.55.50.jpg

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, crunkjuice1 said:

Wait until the Christmas shoppers get their hands on this. LOL 

Yesterday I bought a 4 terabyte external hard drive to put all my games on. Fortnite, warframe, cod4, darksiders, Battlefield 1 to name a few. At first the speeds download can be capped by Sony psn network or could it be hardware related, software related or nothing to worry about? Who knows. Network overview shows a very erratic download. 

2018-11-11 09.52.52.jpg

2018-11-11 09.55.50.jpg

That will be the limit from the server providing you with the file. It's actually quite hard to find many online applications that would use a full 300mbps+. Most servers don't provide at those speeds (yet)

Guest Killhippie
16 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

That will be the limit from the server providing you with the file. It's actually quite hard to find many online applications that would use a full 300mbps+. Most servers don't provide at those speeds (yet)

PS4 network is notoriously slow for downloads and installs. Its always been this way and you will hardy ever see your full speeds on downloads, also if you have set your XR500/XR700 up to use Antibufferbloat and QOS it will limit the download speeds anyway according to your settings so you have to give a bit more to downloads for your PS4 although what percentage is anyone's guess depending on available bandwidth. I wish DumaOS could recognise patches and give full bandwidth for them, rather than having to log into the router and change settings.

1 hour ago, Killhippie said:

PS4 network is notoriously slow for downloads and installs. Its always been this way and you will hardy ever see your full speeds on downloads, also if you have set your XR500/XR700 up to use Antibufferbloat and QOS it will limit the download speeds anyway according to your settings so you have to give a bit more to downloads for your PS4 although what percentage is anyone's guess depending on available bandwidth. I wish DumaOS could recognise patches and give full bandwidth for them, rather than having to log into the router and change settings.

bro is there any news regarding XR500 upcoming update?

Guest Killhippie
5 hours ago, mohands said:

bro is there any news regarding XR500 upcoming update?

Netgear will release it when they are ready. I have no idea as to when. As I said about a week ago I’m just a user like you. 

On 11/2/2018 at 8:51 AM, crunkjuice1 said:

OK I think we can finally say we got the ball rolling @Netduma Fraser

I was giving up hope for the second time on a second xr500. Last night while reading up on factory reset I stumbled upon the actual method of clicking erase within the router not just holding in the button on back. I did this and for the first time the router logged my speeds on both download and upload. It still says failed to detect bandwidth but I hope it will be explained by netgear as to why or if it will be fixed later on. 

Aside from this on the geo filter when nobody is playing a game what is this server looking symbol right where I live? It always pops on and off? 

IMG_20181101_212955.jpg

IMG_20181102_074219.jpg

I have AT&T fiber and have the same issue with the XR500's speed test failing.  However, I have the Netgear Nighthawk App on my iPhone which can run a speedtest and it works.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, TheDude2850 said:

I have AT&T fiber and have the same issue with the XR500's speed test failing.  However, I have the Netgear Nighthawk App on my iPhone which can run a speedtest and it works.

That’s helpful to know. Thanks.