Ping graph on Ping Plotter not stable while using R1

dpk_ydv

Greetings people,

I've not been getting a stable ping graph using R1 (Duma OS) as you can see in the image below,

1122043055_52_222_188.220NetDuma.thumb.png.309259b09b5cb465f109da9ab3e5c13c.png

I've tried the same test at by just plugging the ISP cable straight to my laptop at around the same time, my ISP does not use a modem.

129825534_52_222_188.220ISP.thumb.png.fb574740420aacd2d69364ee2f0a1713.png

I use a PPPoE, no IPv6. MTU, DNS set to automatic, no MAC address cloning. But I had changed the MAC address of my laptop on connecting the Ethernet cable for authentication purpose. I also have a low end D link router lying around, and it gives me a stable graph.

The IP address is of Amazon India.

Please try another Ethernet cable that connects your modem to the R1 and run another test, also could you connect the R1 directly to your PC and run a ping plotter test to IP 192.168.88.1

20 minutes ago, Zennon said:

Please try another Ethernet cable that connects your modem to the R1 and run another test, also could you connect the R1 directly to your PC and run a ping plotter test to IP 192.168.88.1

Here is the ping plot directly to 192.168.88.11286849268_192_168_88_1R1.thumb.png.ec209baaa9274c58507939741baeb0ae.png

I do not have a modem. The Ethernet cable from ISP goes straight to my router.

3 hours ago, Zennon said:

That plot is ruling out that it is the R1 creating the spikes so that is good.

Can you try a new / different Ethernet cable from your router to the R1 and re test please.

You want me to try connecting from my D link router to R1? In bridge mode?

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As far as I can see this is only a 0.4ms discrepency which is not much at all, adding a router would probably account for that much. The line seems quite stable to me

Sorry for all the trouble guys, changing the Ethernet cable resolved the problem for me. Here is the trace. www.amazon_in.thumb.png.e70c69e457b75a03cb32a847cd81821c.png

Just wanted to point to you guys that the even the 'faulty' ethernet cables I was using before did not cause bad ping graphs using the other router, so I did not suspect this was the case. Only when those ethernet cables were connected to Netduma I got bad graphs. Any Idea why it might be happening?

Anyways, thanks for the help guys.

Cables can go bad at any time or sometime their teeth do not quite touch the Lan ports teeth correctly, I am glad the cable swap has sorted it.

Where the graph jumps up in ping in your last plot is that  Amazon's destination IP changes during a test and nothing to worry about they have servers everywhere and sometimes a ping test will jump to another server, I have seen it happen when pinging twitter also.

All is good :)