NeeWii

DumaOS causing GlobalProtect VPN (required for my work) to disconnect

Hello,

DumaOS is causing the VPN installed on my work laptop (that I require to be able to access work systems) to disconnect. It will connect for a brief period of time, up to around 30 seconds, however it will then interrupt the connection and cause the VPN to disconnect and spend a while trying to reconnect again, and the cycle will repeat.

Under the previous version of NetDuma, I had more or less the same problem - but the workaround I had in place was changing the QoS congestion control settings to "Pre-emptive" rather than "Reactive". "Reactive" mode caused similar problems for me, but "Pre-emptive" allowed the VPN to stay connected just fine (albeit with much lower maximum bandwidth speeds). However I can't see any way to configure things in a similar way on the new DumaOS.

I have tried disabling QoS altogether on DumaOS, however this doesn't appear to fix the problem. Is there a way to replicate "Pre-emptive" QoS settings (or something similar) on DumaOS? Or any other solution to the problem (e.g. put my laptop on a DMZ, but I can't see the option to do that).

For reference, setup is VM Superhub 3.0 in Modem mode --> R1 DumaOS --> Netgear Nighthawk (wifi AP) --> work laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As it stands, DumaOS is not viable for me at all as I work at home.

Thanks,

NeeWii

Very odd. If you disable QoS altogether and the issue still continues then the issue must be somewhere else (i.e. QoS is not the blocker).

Do you have IPv6 enabled? Please disable it in Network Settings for both LAN and WAN. I'm thinking that could be the cause.

Also please enable UPNP if you haven't done so already

Hi - thanks for the response. I can confirm that the settings already have IPv6 disabled on both LAN and WAN, and UPnP is enabled also. I think a similar recommendation was made a couple of years back when I made a post about reactive mode causing the same problem (post appears to have disappeared though) - IPv6 didn't fix the problem in the old firmware either though. Is there anything else I can try? It's definitely something in the Duma, as I get no issues connecting directly via the VM Superhub.

And if not is there a usable workaround? I was thinking worst case scenario I could have the VM Superhub in router mode but the Duma in a DMZ? Then connect my work PC via the Superhub wifi and everything else through the Duma/Nighthawk. Far from ideal given the added wifi congestion but I can't picture any other option.

Thanks in advance.

Edit - I've attached the logfile after disabling QoS again, then re-enabling for a while - just in case it's of any use.

log-1541025451494.txt

Edited by NeeWii
logfile added

Thanks Fraser, that would be greatly appreciated. Happy to help troubleshoot if needed.

In the meantime I've gone with my suggested workaround, with the R1 within the Superhub DMZ. For some reason in this configuration the speed I get is only around 130Mbps; using modem mode instead on the superhub gives me around 260Mbps (a 350Mbps connection but I figure the R1 is strained above 200Mbps). It's not wifi interference as disabling wifi on the superhub doesn't improve anything, only changing back to modem mode increases the bandwidth back to normal. Have you come across this before? Are there settings in the superhub that should be disabled when R1 is in its DMZ or something? I can't see anything about QoS or similar to disable in the superhub menu, I had thought something like that might be the cause.

Great thanks!

The only things I can think of to do to give you the best chance of your higher speeds when in DMZ mode are:

• Disable UPnP on hub
  • Disable any manual port forward rules added on hub
  • Disable WiFi on hub 

If you're still not getting expected speeds it may be a limitation with DMZ mode on the hub