Packet loss when pinging R1.

Skaarah

I got my R1 a few days ago and have had no luck in getting a stable connection. First test was playing Smash4 on WiiU over wifi. No improvement over previous router. The nice thing was being able to see my ping in the geofilter go from 40ish all the way to 1500ms. Wow! Don't know how that makes any sense. 

Next step was testing CS:GO on a dedicated community server. Surfing real smooth. Massive improvement until.... rubber-band, rubber-band, freeze, aaand were back. This happens at least once every ten minutes. 

This happens when browsing the internet too. Everything runs fine until "Oops! Looks like you don't have an internet connection."

post-2718-0-50395300-1435380508_thumb.png

Then I refresh and good to go for another few minutes.

So something is wrong. This never happened with my old router. I'm wired straight ethernet to the R1 then the R1 to the dsl modem (condo internet). It should be fiber from the building to the ISP. My speeds are pretty decent 25mb up and 65mb down. The modem is a VX-VEB165. 

I tried a ping-plotter to 8.8.8.8 and could see very clearly when I was disconnecting. 

post-2718-0-59310300-1435380523_thumb.png

Then for shits and gigs I tried pinging 192.168.88.1.

post-2718-0-32012300-1435380524_thumb.png

How can I lose that many packets from my pc to the R1?

Someone save me. I host a game server for some peeps and they are getting pissed about the rubberbanding.

I would suggest trying a different ethernet cable between the isp router /modem and the Netduma first.

If this does not change , do you get this packet loss also directly testing from your isp router?

Bad Ethernet cable (try another one maybe) or a coincidence with issues on your line.

Maybe try the old router to rule out any connection issues that may have appeared.

Should I try a crossover cable too? I saw another post saying something about crossover fixing all of his problems. My computer is pretty far from the router so I will go pick up some things to try later today.

Well, I've been testing over a few days with two different cables. One straight the other crossover. I seem to have slightly better result with the crossover but if I'm seeding on uTorrent I get really bad connections. 

post-2718-0-45060800-1435783709_thumb.png

• Administrators

Seeding on uTorrent there will be lots of variables, ensure you optimise it for your connection, but generally in my experience seeding doesn't work too well for me due to my upload.

I've tried various setting on that page with no effect to my connection.

With no effect? , it should slow down your download and your upload the further you pull the sliders downwards , are you sure you have set your speed tested bandwidth (speedtest.net) in to the netduma correctly.

It slows down the connection to leave a buffer of bandwidth for gaming or other uses while people download or stream etc to keep the ping as low as possible.

• Administrators

Hi Skaarah,

For congestion control to work with torrents please make sure to disable utp protocol. Does that fix it? 

If not please let me know what modem you have? I suspect you may have the faulty modem identified by cox employee in this thread: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/1611-buffering-and-latency/?do=findComment&comment=23017. I believe this happens to Cisco modems as well :(

• Administrators

Ok just to clarify. The disconnection issue and speed have gone UNLESS you're seeding. By seeding you just mean uploading traffic right? 

Is that correct? If so its a congestion control setting. Sorry I maybe slow to reply I'll try respond tomorrow because the team is at an event this weekend and I'm doing R&D. 

Archived