XR500 doesn’t perform well on BO4

DollaB1ll

The router works fine for the first 3 days when BO4 has released, but now the router tells me I have 30 ms ping on every single server or peer/host that I’m on. I’m located in the Midwest. I’m opening the Geo-Filter even further and still ping 33ms on California, Seattle and UK servers. The game runs terrible, the graphics, frame rate, hit detection. Tried everything..QOS, 70/70, 80/80, 90/90, ping plotter, A+ bufferbloat, everything is fine. I only have bad results with this router no issues with the Netgear X4s, and edgerouter x. Also had reboot and hard reset still same issue. Auto ping turned on or off still ping a steady 30-35 to all servers across the world but feels like I’m 1-2 second delay in game. Getting drop before I can think. Hit detection is terrible. Game is unplayable on the Xr500. If I want to play BO4 I will need to hook up edgerouter x or nighthawk x4s. Please help

• Netduma Staff

HI, welcome to the forum! So first off, how do you have your Geo-Filter set up? If you're getting low pings across the world it's likely that the servers you're connecting to are mislocated. Could you let us know the ID of any servers that look like they have a low ping for where they're located, and also let us know where each ID is located and its ping?

If you're getting good bufferbloat scores etc then your QoS settings should be fine. Having a steady 30ms connection is great for gaming so I'm not sure why you feel like your other routers are giving you a better connection. The XR500 is a tool you can use specifically to get a better connection - it's extremely rare for it to actually make anything worse.

Bear in mind that Black Ops 4 is still being fixed by Treyarch on the network side - try playing a previous CoD game using the XR500 and you'll likely find that everything runs perfectly.

California ID d8c7ecb764776f74 ... ping 17ms

I’m in Michigan

This router making my game play worst. The gunplay, hit detection, the movement. How I get a ping of 17ms to Cali servers but a 33 ms ping to Chicago servers? Played with the edgerouter x yesterday with no issues at all. Played with the Netgear x4s this morning no issues either only on this router. I’m probably going to return the XR500. 

I don't think its a router issue I think its more of the 20hz tickrate that bo4 uses and when you switch routers your actually lagging and combined with the tickrate you don't notice it as bad I had the same issue on the R1 but once I caused my self to lag it wasn't bad 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, scbba said:

I don't think its a router issue I think its more of the 20hz tickrate that bo4 uses and when you switch routers your actually lagging and combined with the tickrate you don't notice it as bad I had the same issue on the R1 but once I caused my self to lag it wasn't bad 

If you’re getting a 17ms Ping then you have a great connection. So it may be that you are suffering from this ☝️

Lots of talk online about it.

2 hours ago, ranorris23 said:

I’m pretty sure there’s not even a Chicago server for black ops 4 as of now. The closest one to you is going to be on east coast. I’m in Indiana...

This is incorrect information. There are without a doubt Chicago dedis they're just not updated hosts and the Geo filter shows them from UK, East and West Coast and Florida panhandle as peers. We need a really good cloud update. And PA.

2 hours ago, DollaB1ll said:

I swear the beta ran way better.

of course it ran way better. the beta ran at 60hz tickrate. Treyarch downgraded the servers so that blackout and multiplayer would feel the same when going back and forth. We can only wait for them to improve/optimize the network code. The ball is in their court now.