R1 LAN speeds very low since Dumaos upgrade

F1RE-BUG

• Administrators

The Zyxel VMG 3925 right? Could you toggle it from bridge mode to routing mode (or vice versa) i.e. switch the mode

I tried to Google instructions. I'm not sure if this manual is applicable, but might help you find it: https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/ZyXEL-VMG1312-VMG8924-Bridge-Mode

3 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

The Zyxel VMG 3925 right? Could you toggle it from bridge mode to routing mode (or vice versa) i.e. switch the mode

I tried to Google instructions. I'm not sure if this manual is applicable, but might help you find it: https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/ZyXEL-VMG1312-VMG8924-Bridge-Mode

Again...... when using the DUMASOS on the R1....

I DO NOT USE THE ZYXEL... the R1 is plugged straight into the fibre ONT 

THER IS NO ZYXEL IN THE SYSTEM... I only plugged it back in to show the difference in speeds 

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay that explains it, there will be a cap on speeds with PPPoE just like there was with the previous firmware. Believe it's around 100mbps.

That's odd... why does the Zyxel using PPOE give me my full 400Mbps down and not the R1

• Administrators

The short answer is the R1 is not optimised to run PPPoE at high speeds - and given you can almost always just apply PPPoE on your modem we've never needed to look into it.

On 10/28/2018 at 2:10 AM, Netduma Admin said:

The short answer is the R1 is not optimised to run PPPoE at high speeds - and given you can almost always just apply PPPoE on your modem we've never needed to look into it.

Is the xr500 optimised for PPPoE?

Was thinking of upgrading to this but need to know first... I don't want to spend £250 and have the same issue..

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes it should be much better handled on the XR500, only issues we've encountered is through IPv6 and VLAN I believe on XR500.

So would you recommend 7sing it straight into my ONT with PPPoE or a modem then Xr500? 

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Trip said:

I am getting bad results on PlayStation as well after upgrading to DumaOS. Maybe others can test it on their setup.

Are you referring to the console speed test? I have let a dev know but in general they're not as accurate as a wired pc test

Yes, the console speed test. I know it’s not as accurate but on the old firmware it would give me a download and upload speed of 20 / 2. I would say it was about 95 percent consistent and was fast displaying the results. Now it is not very consistent and appears to take longer to display the results. I can get the 20 / 2 to display but it feels more rare now and I have seen the download as low as 6 and the upload as low as 700 kbps.

20 hours ago, F1RE-BUG said:

So would you recommend 7sing it straight into my ONT with PPPoE or a modem then Xr500? 

Bear in mind that the R1 DumasOS will get updates and new features quicker than the XR500 due to Netgear testing features before rolling out.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Trip said:

Yes, the console speed test. I know it’s not as accurate but on the old firmware it would give me a download and upload speed of 20 / 2. I would say it was about 95 percent consistent and was fast displaying the results. Now it is not very consistent and appears to take longer to display the results. I can get the 20 / 2 to display but it feels more rare now and I have seen the download as low as 6 and the upload as low as 700 kbps.

I have passed on the console speed test inconsistencies to the developers, they may say the same as me or they may find something thats causing it

On 11/1/2018 at 2:27 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I have passed on the console speed test inconsistencies to the developers, they may say the same as me or they may find something thats causing it

The Duma is what is causing the network slow down with PPPOE.... This is with the XR500 

20181104_171209.jpg

• Administrators
1 hour ago, F1RE-BUG said:

The Duma is what is causing the network slow down with PPPOE.... This is with the XR500 

20181104_171209.jpg

That makes sense - we recommend you always put PPPoE through your modem whenever possible.

• Netduma Staff
12 hours ago, F1RE-BUG said:

Even through the modem first it's slow... needs looking at

We'll take a look at it - as Fraser said, our developers are aware of this. Console speed tests will never be an accurate way to measure your speeds but there could be something we can do on our end :)