R1 LAN speeds very low since Dumaos upgrade

F1RE-BUG

Since upgrading to Duma OS my LAN speed reported by playstation network is 4mbps down and 6mbps up... the router is wired to my 400Mbps fibre box.. I am pulling my hair out.. I have replace the 25m LAN cable to the playstation with a CAT6 cable and no better. I have checked the new cable with a friends network testing tool and it it reports 1000M compatible... can anyone HELP

• Administrators

If you go to >QoS >Anti-Bufferbloat and click the small burger icon in the top left corner of the panel, check 'disable QoS' and click proceed at the warning message.

Rerun the test after doing this and let us know if it's back to normal. If it is, then we know the problem is with one of your settings. If, not then the problem is somewhere else.

If I do a complete R1 Netduma reset.... doe this do the internet connection test same as the nighthawk to determine speeds?

I was thinking of starting over again and working through the settings?

I have also recently removed an ISP supplied router as this was not required with the Duma and was causing NAT type issues with PS4 CoD

• Administrators

Could you do this please:

1. Test using a PC and a website like Speedtest.net - what speeds do you get?

2. Connect your PC directly into your modem and again run a Speedtest on a website like Speedtest.net - what speeds do you get?

Only do step 2 if step 1 also has very low speeds

• Administrators

Ok, so there is some issue either with the PS4 or between the PS4 and the R1 then.

1. Could you switch all the cables out to be sure
  2. Check Share Excess is enabled in Bandwidth Allocation (within QoS)
  3. Delete any manually added rules in Traffic Prioritization (within QoS)
  4. Run a network test - is NAT open?

After doing that, rerun the speedtest. If it's slow again, could you wire the PS4 directly into your modem and repeat the test. What speeds do you get?

I made up all new cat6 cable at weekend and have now tested several times with a network cable test hand held unit...(borrowed from a friend) I still have the unit..🤣 

Trouble is the router is in the living room and the playstation is wired via the CAT6 cable 25 metres away... and not easily replaced... I will make another today at work (working late shift till 10 PM UK time) and run it through the house to see what happens.

On the PS4 the NAT type is showing as 2 and in black ops 4 its constantly OPEN.

Will report back later when redone tests..

• Netduma Staff
8 minutes ago, F1RE-BUG said:

I made up all new cat6 cable at weekend and have now tested several times with a network cable test hand held unit...(borrowed from a friend) I still have the unit..🤣 

Trouble is the router is in the living room and the playstation is wired via the CAT6 cable 25 metres away... and not easily replaced... I will make another today at work (working late shift till 10 PM UK time) and run it through the house to see what happens.

On the PS4 the NAT type is showing as 2 and in black ops 4 its constantly OPEN.

Will report back later when redone tests..

Alright thanks for letting us know. Keep us posted on your testing, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it!

• Administrators

The fact it's getting 50% cannot be coincidental. Is your ISP router in modem mode or Bridge Mode? I've heard of these very occasionally causing problems in the past.

Do you have IPv6 enabled by any chance?

58 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

The fact it's getting 50% cannot be coincidental. Is your ISP router in modem mode or Bridge Mode? I've heard of these very occasionally causing problems in the past.

Do you have IPv6 enabled by any chance?

The ISP router is in modem mode.. not bridge 

In the ISP router settings there is something about IPV6/4 that is enabled...

Sorry I am not particularly knowledgeable about this 'techy' stuff... I have a basic idea of how things work... but all the achrenims blows my mind 🤣

At work ATM but can take a look after 10pm again and post back...

Just for your information I have the R1 still set up and when trying to find a PS4 game of black ops 4 it's really struggling to find a game.... lots of "lobby not joinable" kick backs... don't know if that's related to my speeds or settings

Thanks for trying to help

• Administrators

Try turning modem mode off, so it runs as a modem/router combo. Then attempt the speedtest and let us know if speeds return to normal. You might get a non open NAT with this change don't worry about this if it happens, we can fix that much more easily!

As for IPv6, I meant on the XR500 (sorry, wasn't clear). Go to >Settings >Advanced Settings and then click IPv6. Set it to disabled if it isn't already and then click Apply.

Good luck!

5 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Try turning modem mode off, so it runs as a modem/router combo. Then attempt the speedtest and let us know if speeds return to normal. You might get a non open NAT with this change don't worry about this if it happens, we can fix that much more easily!

As for IPv6, I meant on the XR500 (sorry, wasn't clear). Go to >Settings >Advanced Settings and then click IPv6. Set it to disabled if it isn't already and then click Apply.

Good luck!

I am not using the ISP supplied router in the network... just the R1

I plugged the ISP router in last night purely to show the different speeds! 🤔

• Administrators

What device does the R1 connect into? By that I mean the Ethernet port that connects into port 1 on the back of the R1, where does the other end go into? For 99.9% of people it is a modem or a modem/router combo.

If it's a modem/router combo, please set it to normal mode.

6 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Good luck!

Hi there, I have the something like the same Problem. My Cable Modem/Router Combo seems to be slower in Bridge Modus as in Modem/Router Modus. In this Case I have the Problem that my R1 has the IP 192.168.88.1 and Cable Combo has 192.168.1.254 so I can’t port forwarding in the Cable Combo and I have an NAT-Typ „Moderate“ in Black Ops4, in Bridge Modus is Open NAT Typ . If I change the IP from the CableCombo to IP 192.168.88.254 it’s in the same IP Range like the R1 but I am out of the Internet. If I change it back to an other IP Circle than 88 it’s works again. Hope you understand what I mean and maybe you can tell me what I have to change that the R1 and my Cable Combo can use the same IP Circle

Edit: I disabled PortFordwarding in the R1, activated UPnP and ticked Enable Upnp Forwarding in Miscellanous and have Open NAT Typ in Black Ops4. 

• Administrators

Whoa, definitely don't give them the same IP ranges! That's a networking nightmare. 😋

Please put the other one back to 192.168.1.x and leave the R1 in 192.168.88.1

I recommend you go through this guide: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-speeds

If it does not fix your issue, please create a separate thread and give us as much information as possible.

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Whoa, definitely don't give them the same IP ranges! That's a networking nightmare. 😋

Please put the other one back to 192.168.1.x and leave the R1 in 192.168.88.1

I recommend you go through this guide: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-speeds

If it does not fix your issue, please create a separate thread and give us as much information as possible.

Thanks.

Not me not me...🤣 even I know about conflicting IP addresses with my lack of 'techy' knowledge 🤣

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, F1RE-BUG said:

Not me not me...🤣 even I know about conflicting IP addresses with my lack of 'techy' knowledge 🤣

Real-life equivalent 

Image result for stupid  risk

3 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

What device does the R1 connect into? By that I mean the Ethernet port that connects into port 1 on the back of the R1, where does the other end go into? For 99.9% of people it is a modem or a modem/router combo.

If it's a modem/router combo, please set it to normal mode.

I connect direct into the Fibre ONT 

Like in the link I posted earlier....