DDOS

• Netduma Staff
9 hours ago, Micbot said:

is their anyway that i can stop ddos attacks? been getting flooded 

Hi, welcome to the forum! The best way is through a VPN - we're working on a new Hybrid VPN feature to better support this capability.

How are you seeing these DDoS attacks? It's far more common to mistake network issues with DDoS attacks - those kinds of attacks are more rare than you'd think, and tend to target only large streamers and content creators.

Guest Killhippie

Netgear routers always tend to point to any probing of ports as DDoS as Jack has said, its very rare for an individual to be targeted. The firewall is just reporting port probes some legitimate some not and getting a bit paranoid, but if you see them in the logs its doing its job, no need to worry and you are not under attack. Routers are exposed to hundreds of port probes every day, just ignore the messages they are not important, unless you get knocked off line which once again is highly unlikely.

• Administrators

If you're just seeing the 'DoS Attacks' in your log then don't worry about this. As KillHippie said, this is effectively Internet white noise. If you Google the log entry you will see plenty of threads on the NETGEAR forums confirming that this is nothing to worry about.

Yeah im seeing dos attacks in my log but my cpu usage in system information is always at 100% even at low network usage times, I don't think that's normal which leads me to believe that i'm being flooded with unwanted traffic  

I do have a complex network setup with multiple routers and the xr500 has the wan ip so that could be the case but its usually around 60-70% usage, but i do want to get a faster cpu so i have more processing power for all of my devices. I was thinking about getting the xr700 but I dont know where i could sell my xr500 do you know anywhere i could do that?

Guest Killhippie
10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As it's old hardware if you have a lot of devices connected that might be it but I wouldn't be too worried about the CPU

So the XR500 is old hardware now?

• Administrators

No way is the XR500 old hardware! It’s a beast. I think Fraser got confused and thought he was handling an R1 query - that subforum is very busy with the DumaOS open Beta at the moment. 

@Micbot - could you post a screenshot of your CPU graph the next time it’s high please?

• Netduma Staff
13 minutes ago, Micbot said:

Here a screenshot when the network activity is low

Screenshot.png

That's strange, is there something using lots of data all the time? How many devices do you have? If you have DumaOS open multiple times that can also use loads of CPU. Anything out of the ordinary which could be using lots of CPU?

I don’t believe it’s a device that is using a lot of data all the time but I do have two routers that are in access point mode that can allow 15+ devices to connect because I have a large home and also my gaming pc and Xbox but I don’t think it’s using that much data. I only open DumaOS in one tab.

Guest Killhippie
6 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

That's strange, is there something using lots of data all the time? How many devices do you have? If you have DumaOS open multiple times that can also use loads of CPU. Anything out of the ordinary which could be using lots of CPU?

I think the graph is corrupt it can’t be flatly using that much cpu it’s almost like 90% should be around 0. I would empty the browser cache see how that goes try resizing the cpu window and if all else fails factory reset the router.   If you are being attacked you would see so many peaks and troughs in fact that’s what you normally see when there’s lots of networking activity not a flat line.