Getting bad taste from Duma? Netgear?

So as i posted the other day i was planing on getting the xr700 when it comes out to upgrade my R9000.   The Wifi in my R9000 is having problems so i thought to give Duma a try before making my big purchase again i went out and got the xr500.  Ever since plugging this unit in i have been having problems with my internet.

Current setup

Comcast

CM1000

XR500 - 2.3.2.32 (A7Legit)

The unit seems to keep losing connecting with my CM1000 modem.  When i first plugged this all in i notice my CM1000 had an orange light at the bottom. So i checked all cables and gave everything and reboot and it seem to work just fine.  Now i just get home today and my internet keeps cutting in and out and i notice that the orange light came back on.  I am using the same cables as my old router so i know those are good so i am not sure if this is a Duma problem or just bad hardware from netgear.  I have a ping going to both the modem and router everything seems fine but then i would just drop connect to my modem.  Never had or seen this light before with the R9000 but this router seems to be giving me problems. If i am missing anything or info please let me know.

Any ideas before i get the xr700

Guest Killhippie
7 hours ago, Llamalord said:

So as i posted the other day i was planing on getting the xr700 when it comes out to upgrade my R9000.   The Wifi in my R9000 is having problems so i thought to give Duma a try before making my big purchase again i went out and got the xr500.  Ever since plugging this unit in i have been having problems with my internet.

Current setup

Comcast

CM1000

XR500 - 2.3.2.32 (A7Legit)

The unit seems to keep losing connecting with my CM1000 modem.  When i first plugged this all in i notice my CM1000 had an orange light at the bottom. So i checked all cables and gave everything and reboot and it seem to work just fine.  Now i just get home today and my internet keeps cutting in and out and i notice that the orange light came back on.  I am using the same cables as my old router so i know those are good so i am not sure if this is a Duma problem or just bad hardware from netgear.  I have a ping going to both the modem and router everything seems fine but then i would just drop connect to my modem.  Never had or seen this light before with the R9000 but this router seems to be giving me problems. If i am missing anything or info please let me know.

Any ideas before i get the xr700

Change the Mac code in the XR500 to that of your modem, but tbh if your modem is loosing connectivity and your set up is modem followed by XR500 the modem is likely to be the issue if the modem has an orange light, as that's nothing to do with the XR500.

7 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Change the Mac code in the XR500 to that of your modem, but tbh if your modem is loosing connectivity and your set up is modem followed by XR500 the modem is likely to be the issue if the modem has an orange light, as that's nothing to do with the XR500.

But with the R9000 never had any problems like this. Just loses connecting to the modem. Happen this AM was not able to ping the modem. Setup my old router and had no problems. 

Guest Killhippie
16 hours ago, Llamalord said:

But with the R9000 never had any problems like this. Just loses connecting to the modem. Happen this AM was not able to ping the modem. Setup my old router and had no problems. 

Have you done a full factory reset since updating to 2.3.2.32? Did you try changing the MAC address to that of your previous router? Sometimes you need to turn off your modem for a few minutes, attach the router then boot up modem then router. Try a full factory reset,  don't use a backup re-enter all settings manually and see if its better after powering your modem down and attaching the router the way I suggested, also try the Mac address out as well. If after trying all these steps out then yes it may be a hardware issue, then you need to contact Netgear. When doing the factory rest use the use the small recessed button on the back, hold it in for about 20 seconds and then leave the router to do its thing for a few minutes to be sure, then reset the router up. Make a note of your speeds before hand though as speedtest is being a pain at the moment so you may have to enter them manually during set up.

• Administrators

There's a beta firmware which has a disconnect issue fix within it (that's the only difference between it and the widely released .32 firmware). I will DM you now

On 10/21/2018 at 3:51 AM, Killhippie said:

Have you done a full factory reset since updating to 2.3.2.32? Did you try changing the MAC address to that of your previous router? Sometimes you need to turn off your modem for a few minutes, attach the router then boot up modem then router. Try a full factory reset,  don't use a backup re-enter all settings manually and see if its better after powering your modem down and attaching the router the way I suggested, also try the Mac address out as well. If after trying all these steps out then yes it may be a hardware issue, then you need to contact Netgear. When doing the factory rest use the use the small recessed button on the back, hold it in for about 20 seconds and then leave the router to do its thing for a few minutes to be sure, then reset the router up. Make a note of your speeds before hand though as speedtest is being a pain at the moment so you may have to enter them manually during set up.

So even after calling support for Netgear it looks to be a problem with Mac address.

Had to set my Mac address as my PC. Never had to do that before. Glad I got it fixed.  I did just get the xr700 so I no longer have xr500 so I hope to have no problems with this beast router and let's hope netduma does not fail me!!! 

Guest Killhippie
On 10/26/2018 at 7:17 PM, Llamalord said:

So even after calling support for Netgear it looks to be a problem with Mac address.

Had to set my Mac address as my PC. Never had to do that before. Glad I got it fixed.  I did just get the xr700 so I no longer have xr500 so I hope to have no problems with this beast router and let's hope netduma does not fail me!!! 

Did you update for the plex server and 10 Gigabit LAN SFP+ Port?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 4:27 AM, Killhippie said:

Did you update for the plex server and 10 Gigabit LAN SFP+ Port?

So after having the router for a few weeks now i am notice a really bad performance.   Doing an update for Overwatch and these are the speeds i am getting...Not even 1MB??? 

Also i play a few games on the phone and i am getting A LOT of lag now on Wifi...Seems like the same old Netgear problems...

Any ideas on this?

test.jpg

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, Llamalord said:

Just tried a factory reset...Still same error when trying to login...

All these issues are likely related. Which firmware version are you on? On a wired PC, what happens when you try to access the interface? Could you factory reset the router again?

21 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

All these issues are likely related. Which firmware version are you on? On a wired PC, what happens when you try to access the interface? Could you factory reset the router again?

Latest Firmware, Wired, Yes i have tried it again...Still same thing

DumaOS not loaded yet!

Don't worry we will redirect you shortly.

• Administrators

I think you may have a faulty unit - all of this should not be happening.

Can you try a factory reset using the pin at back. You will know if you have done this successfully because when you return to the router UI, you should be on the Startup Wizard again. 

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

56 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

I think you may have a faulty unit - all of this should not be happening.

Can you try a factory reset using the pin at back. You will know if you have done this successfully because when you return to the router UI, you should be on the Startup Wizard again. 

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Did this.  It lets me go through the setup then once that is done I keep getting that the OS needs to load still. Bad router then...

• Administrators

Could you go to http://routerlogin.net/index.htm

Then reinstall the latest firmware (go to Administration, Firmware Update). 

Then try accessing like normal through routerlogin.net

Would also be good to know if you have recently installed any antivirus, security, firewall or adblocker type software very recently. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

Could you go to http://routerlogin.net/index.htm

Then reinstall the latest firmware (go to Administration, Firmware Update). 

Then try accessing like normal through routerlogin.net

Would also be good to know if you have recently installed any antivirus, security, firewall or adblocker type software very recently. 

Unless a new firmware just came out today I have the newest one. No AV changes. I have been having really bad speeds wired and wireless so I gave the router a reboot and since then I am not able to get back into it.

• Administrators

Are you 100% connected to it? Sometimes your PC can connect to a different wireless network when a reboot is happening.

What happens when you go routerlogin.net?

25 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Are you 100% connected to it? Sometimes your PC can connect to a different wireless network when a reboot is happening.

What happens when you go routerlogin.net?

Yes I am doing this from my desktop and it has no wireless and it is wired. Also wireless is not working at all.  

Going to the site gives me the same thing same error.

• Administrators

Did you manually download the latest firmware file from the netgear website and upgrade using the link provided above? If not please do that. 

Also clear cache/cookies from you web browser, that may be affecting access to the interface, from there we can resolve the WiFi issue. It may be that you accidentally pressed the WiFi button on the top of the router which turned it off.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you manually download the latest firmware file from the netgear website and upgrade using the link provided above? If not please do that. 

Also clear cache/cookies from you web browser, that may be affecting access to the interface, from there we can resolve the WiFi issue. It may be that you accidentally pressed the WiFi button on the top of the router which turned it off.

The router itself and hanging on the wall out of reach so now one has touched it. 

Did not do a manually update.  How would I do that if I can't get into the interface? 

Also did try clearing cache and even try doing it from my phone still nothing.